OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody tried the Leica Ultravid HD’s yet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody tried the Leica Ultravid HD’s yet
    Posted: October/28/2007 at 13:49
Well come on if you have spill the beans.
I cant find anywhere with them in stock yet.
Master Debater
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 14:42

http://www.leica-camera.us/service/dealer_locator/

Just enter your country and you will be given dealer information closest to you.

etc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:19
supposedly the stiff focus wheel issue has been addressed. Water doesn't stick to the lenses anymore. What else?

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:31
etc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:52
All looks good.

I wish I could compare one to the Trinovid.

I still think it's  too bad that they dropped Trinovid.  Out of the big 3, isn't the Ultravid HD the most expensive optics?  
Bartond View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 21:59
By using new fluoride lenses and a CAD design program they have both increased light transmission by 3% and reduced more stray light, or non-image-forming light.

Makes them even brighter and sharper than the old Ultravids, which were awesome.
Get outside...
etc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 21:37
Yes... but the sticker shock.
I got a used Trinovid for 700, you can find them on sale NIB for about 900, and the Ultravid HD runs 2 grand.  I  am sure they are better than the latest Trinovids or  previous Ultravid, but *that* much better? I totally fail to see the value in that, and I will stick to my Trinovid. It's not very bright admittedly but clarity and contrast and color representation are all very good. It's more than good enough.

I think that light transmission for the old Trinovids was about 82%, and original Ultravid was 87%, a visible 5% improvement, and now that's improved by 3% again with HD, putting it at 90%? The biggest difference is between the Trinovid and Ultravid, the former used silver coating and the latter dielectric. I am not sure about Swarovski figures, but Zeiss is supposed to be the brightest  of the Big Three.

The other thing to keep in mind, Ultravid HD offers an inferior 10 year warranty vs. 30 years for the original Ultravid or even Trinovids... I think I will buy a NIB Ultravid (non-HD) when it drops in price due to HD arrival. You can find used ones for $1200.

Anyway, for that price, I would seriously look at Swarovski EL, it's expensive but well under 2 grand that Ultravid HD runs. It's at least as bright and also has water-resistant coating and has lighter body. I am also going to seriously look at the non-HD Ultravids.  Leica Trinovids of course offer the best value. (but not performance)

Although,  I do believe Leica offers the most stunning image of the big 3, they have worst warranty out of the big 3. (Swaro offering the best IMO)
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 17:28
I think Leica has a lifetime passport warranty that covers everything even if you crush them according to competitor site. Swaro and Zeiss have a LIMITED lifetime warranty. I may be wrong but I have been doing a lot of reasearch in that area. If I am going to take the plunge i want to be informed as to what I am getting.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 07:13
Originally posted by pahuntnut pahuntnut wrote:

I think Leica has a lifetime passport warranty that covers everything even if you crush them according to competitor site. Swaro and Zeiss have a LIMITED lifetime warranty. I may be wrong but I have been doing a lot of reasearch in that area. If I am going to take the plunge i want to be informed as to what I am getting.

Leica's warranty on the Ultravid HD is 10 years.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 07:19
Some interesting and varied discussions about the Ultravid HD, as well as other competing binos in these threads:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 08:16
Im really confused?? is it just there company (competors site) that offers the Leica Lifetime Passport warranty? or are they wrong? I think i am starting to suffer information overload. Im shopping for a good hunting bino and this is turning out to be a major project. lol
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 11:55

Im really confused?? is it just there company (competors site) that offers the Leica Lifetime Passport warranty? or are they wrong? I think i am starting to suffer information overload. Im shopping for a good hunting bino and this is turning out to be a major project. lol

You need to be very careful about the sources of information that you use.  Transferrable lifetime warranties are pretty much becoming the industry standard in the United States. This doesn't mean everyone is offering them but, many of them are - especially in any given company's higher-end line(s).  However, warranties in Europe for example, cannot legally extend beyond, I believe, 10 years.  Thus, even if you have a source that states a shorter-than-lifetime warranty for a given product, it may not be true, if the product was purchased in the United States.  

For example, the Zeiss warranty includes (in part):

Originally posted by ZEISS WEBSITE ZEISS WEBSITE wrote:

All Zeiss Binoculars, Riflescopes, and Spotting Scopes... sold through a United States Authorized Zeiss Dealer come with a Lifetime Transferable Warranty....

[Zeiss] warrants that products sold will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. If determined to be defective, Zeiss will pay for the cost of labor and materials required for the repair. If product cannot be repaired due to defect, Zeiss will replace with same or equivalent product at Zeiss’ discretion...
This warranty is subject to the following terms and limitations:...

...ITEMS NOT COVERED FOR THE LIFE OF THE PRODUCT:
...WEARING PARTS, SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO CARRYING STRAPS, PROTECTIVE CAPS, RUBBER EYECUPS, RUBBER ARMORING, POUCHES, CASES, RUBBER EYEPIECE RINGS AND/OR PROTECTIVE CAPS ARE WARRANTED FOR ONE (1) YEAR FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE.

VALID ONLY IN NORTH AMERICA...
(color emphasis added.)

The Swarovski website has a pdf file of their warranty that says essentially the same thing.  

Originally posted by Swarovski website Swarovski website wrote:

Swarovski Optik offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US residents from an authorized Swarovski Optik North American dealer.
(color emphasis added)

I could be wrong (it's happened once before) and I certainly don't doubt RifleDude's knowledge or information but, I would be suspicious of any undocumented claim that Leica is limiting their warranty as it would be a major blow to their marketability against these other two top companies.

Of course, Leupold Golden Ring products offer one of the most legendary Lifetime Warranties in the business and even Bushnell offers a transferable lifetime warranty on their Elite line of products.

Your best bet is to check with your U.S.A. authorized dealer for the latest information on warranties.  See if they can provide you with warranty documentation before you buy, if you need the extra comfort and that they have a reasonable return policy - just in case.  Then verify warranty coverage with the always-included written materials once you make your purchase.

Edited by lucznik - March/21/2008 at 12:02
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 13:14
Thanks for the info. This site. (competors site.) says they have a "Leica Lifetime transferable warranty, even if you mush them" so I felt that they did not update their site. Now I will call and find out what is going on.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 14:35

Thanks for the info. This site. (competors site.) says they have a "Leica Lifetime transferable warranty, even if you mush them" so I felt that they did not update their site. Now I will call and find out what is going on.

Why are you so worried about a "Lifetime transferable warranty", are you buying them used? I totally understand wanting a lifetime warranty and if you purchase a new set of Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. , you should be so happy with the quality, the only transferring maybe to your grandkids!! Big%20Grin

Edited by mike650 - March/21/2008 at 14:44
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 14:50

Leica did indeed change their warranty to 10 years on the new Ultravid HD.  The Ultravid did have a lifetime transferable warranty, but not anymore with the HD.  I could post proof, but it is from a competitor's website. 
Ted

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Leica did indeed change their warranty to 10 years on the new Ultravid HD.  The Ultravid did have a lifetime transferable warranty, but not anymore with the HD.  I could post proof, but it is from a competitor's website. 

That's pretty amazing.  Dumb, but amazing.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 14:57
Notice also that they mention nothing about their warranty on their website...

I'm not bashing Leica.  I love their products, and I personally own a Leica Trinovid binocular, a Televid spotting scope, and a now-discontinued Ultravid riflescope.  They make very fine optics.  But they are presently seriously lacking in their warranty coverage compared to their main competitors, and they are taking serious heat from this right now.

I am 100% certain of the 10 year warranty on Ultravid HD binoculars, BTW, because I have been doing some comparison shopping on high end 8X32 roof prism binoculars lately.
Ted

pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 16:12
well I did not underscore transferable as being a large point in my decision. However, since companies are always coming out with new and improved this and that, there may come a time when i want to trade them and that would help in resale value. As far as lifetime warranty well if I am spending $1600-2000 for bino's I want the most bang for my buck.

FYI I just called a major Dealer and Leica DOES have a LIFETIME warranty on there bino's in the USA but not out of the USA it is 10 year
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 16:53

FYI I just called a major Dealer and Leica DOES have a LIFETIME warranty on there bino's in the USA but not out of the USA it is 10 year

This "major dealer" is wrong.  I've seen the warranty card.  Call Leica at 800-272-0118 if you don't believe me.

Here is an excerpt from a major online US-based Leica retailer's order page.  I would post the link to the whole page, but first of all, this is against OT rules and as a SWFA customer, I don't want to promote their competitors.

"The Leica Ultravid HD 12x50 binocular is tripod adaptable (adapter sold separtately) and comes with:

• Eyepiece cover
  • Cordura carry case
  • Neoprene neck strap
  • Objective lens covers
  • Leica 10-Year Warranty"

Edited by RifleDude - March/21/2008 at 17:10
Ted

pahuntnut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pahuntnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 17:53
thanks fo rthe number i will call. Therw is a major difference if a warranty is 10 years or unlimited. I would like to tell you where i got the information, but i dont think the moderator would let me. Jeez im getting a headacheWhacko.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic