OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is a scope needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helodad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a scope needed
    Posted: October/28/2007 at 09:45
Do I realy need a Spotting Scope if Im just going to shoot targets? why cant I look throught the rifle scope to see my shots? any opions?
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 11:02
When the range gets out there at 100 yds and more, a spotting scope really helps . Most scopes just don't have the magnification range to see bullet holes that clearly at extended ranges. Plus one can use a spotting scope for the field or other pursuits.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 14:09
Helodad -

It depends on how good your riflescope is.  I have a Kahles CL and I can see my 30-.06 bullet holes out to 200 yards easy, particularly if you use the Shoot-N-See or similar target.  If you have a less expensive scope, beyond 100 yards gets very tough as Martin mentions. 

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
ms6852 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms6852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 00:50
I have the Sightron Big Sky 4x16x42 and can see 30-06 bullet holes at 200 hundred yds.  The more $$$ spend initially the more $$$ saved once you realized that the cheaper scope did not perform as expected
Always run from a fight...but if they catch you deliver them to hell personally.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 15:07
If you need a spotting scope, you'll know.  In general, if you don't shoot past 200 yards (at least with a 30cal bullet), you don't "need" a spotter.

If you have'ta ask, you don't need one.  If you do need one, the post would be more like, "Damn, I sure need a spotting scope; I can't see anything at 400 yards!"
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 17:46
I like using a spotting scope at the range, to me it just makes things easier and more enjoyable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic