OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP PLEASE
    Posted: October/27/2007 at 20:58

alright fellas i dont dont know if i told yall but i just a bought a new 300wsm last week... now i need a good scope for it.  the gun is mainly gonna be used for whitetail deer.  i have a couple of different scopes in mind but i would like to hear yalls opinions and advise ....

bushnell 3200 elite 3x9x50, 1" tube $239

burris fullfield II 3.5x10 50 $369

nikon buckmaster 4x12x50 $349

does anybody know what kind light transmission these scopes have or which one would be the brightest??? any advice or other suggestion similar to these price ranges would be greatly appreciated...

thanks michael

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 21:31
how about for $399 you pick up a zeiss conquest
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 00:40
i would like to have a zeiss but the only one i can find in that price range is a 3x9x40,,, i would like to have something a lil bit bigger than that
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 08:01

I would look at the Pentax gameseaker on the sample list for $99

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_ sold=False

and buy a good base and rings

just my 2 cents

Duce  

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 08:04

Another better choice is a Zeiss conquest off the same sample list for $349

Duce

Duce
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 09:23

Originally posted by HookdUp HookdUp wrote:

i would like to have a zeiss but the only one i can find in that price range is a 3x9x40,,, i would like to have something a lil bit bigger than that

I'm not sure why you would prefer the 50mm in that power range as at 6x you will have almost a 7mm exit eye pupil and since the ones mentioned only go up to 9x you might get some benefit in brightness but the difference in resolution of the Zeiss should more than make up for it. I do think the Bushnell 4200 in the 4-16x40 is also a very nice choice but has limited eye relief so if you are not a big guy you better be holding on tight or it will smack you in the eye ( jump to 50mm and the price climbs).  There is a lot to be said for a Leupold VXIII with a Boone & Crocket reticle  they are a good all around scope just a tad pricey.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 11:07
Try a 4200 Elite in 3x9x40 - it can be had for less than $250 and is probably the "best buy" out there right now. If more magnification range is in order, try the 2.5-10x40 4200 Elite, which can be had in the $330 range. Optically these will be superior to the models you originally indicated, even with a 40 mm lens  . 

Edited by martin3175
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 12:39
Any particular reason why you feel you need a 50MM objective??......They are certainly more money, heavier, have a higher profile which does not look as good and have little benefit, if any, in the field vs. a 40, 42 or 44mm objective! Some may say that there is better light transmission with the larger objective. If so, it is minimal............The bottom line? Your freezer and your tags will still be filled!!!.......................I have the 3X9 Elite 4200 sitting on a 300 WSM Ruger Frontier light weight compact. With my re-loads,,, SHE KICKS! More than most heavier 300 WSM`s! While the Elite`s eye relief is questionable to some at 3.3", I have never come close to being scope whacked. My personal friend has a 4200 sitting on a 300 Wby & no problems. Furthermore, "Martin 3175" above has Elite 4200`s sitting on I believe a 338 Win. Mag & a RUM????......This business about short eye relief on the 4200 is ridiculous and IMO, a mute point. If someone gets scope whacked, then I would question their shooting position as well as their cheek position...............Your above 3 choices, are certainly very good scopes. If I were you, I would take a hard look at the Elite 4200 in the 3X9 at the $260 price point. The glass on the Elite is outstanding. With the exception of a fraction more in brightness, the Elite gives up nothing to the Conquest which I also compared...........The 4200 has been recoil tested to 10k rounds on a 375 H&H, a breeze to sight in, always holds zero, one piece aluminium/titanium alloy tube, is fog proof, water proof, & shock proof. You can also add on the 4200`s Rainguard, which will insure you of never losing a shot, in any weather condition, due to lens distortions!!!......................While your 3 above choices are good, they will not quite equal and will certainly not in any way exceed the Elite 4200. At the $260 price point, the 3x9 4200 is the best scope on the market with no equal!!!!    ............... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 15:03

My 4200's are on a 300 RUM, 300 WBY MkV, 45/70 Marlin 1895 ( probably my biggest kicker with Buffalo Bore-s 405 gr stuff ), 30-06  and a 338 Win Mag--- no scope eyebrow problems

Plus I agree on that the 50 mm lens size cannot compensate for optic quality..

Edited by martin3175
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 16:41
the only reason i wanted the 50mm lens is i was told better light transmission... i dont know all of the physics and facts like yall know do,,, which is why i asked yall, cause of the knowledge yall have
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 17:04
Sometimes, what people tell you and what is reality are two different things!! Minimally better light transmission at best. But, it will make absolutely no difference in the hunting fields. If someone tells you otherwise, they don`t know what they`re talking about!!
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 17:24
i'm lookin at samplelist now i didnt even know this thing existed, they have some good deals on here, probably be where i get my scope from, i got a list of scopes wrote down
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 18:32

If you take a Conquest 3-9x40 and compare to a conquest 3-9x50 , the 50 will allow you to see a little better when it gets dark. Even better yet would be a 56mm objective. This is not to say an old Tasco with a 52mm obj would be a comparison , because it isn't. What I am saying is a comparable  in quality scope with a larger obj will help you at dusk. Sometimes you need those few extra minutes for the "biggun' " to come out , especially here in the piney woods of south Alabama.

Derek  

Edited by HuntMaster
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 20:28
i think i made up my mind... i'm gonna go with the bushnell 4200 elite 4x16x40 for $389.95 off the swfa site.  with the bushnell i get a higher power range compared 3x9x40 conquest and its still cheaper.   I went back and read alot of the past forums... alot of ppl rank the 4200 just as high as the conquest aside from eye relief. i do have a question thou.  the 4200 comes with a free 5" sunshade."its seem like the sunshade would hender the scopes abilty to gather light when hunting in late evening, am i right or wrong?? i appreciate all the info guys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 20:35

Use the sunshade in direct sunlight -like when the sun is low on the horizon and "in your eyes" >>Otherwise, it won't be needed. I commend your choice- nice scope. Good luck ..

As an aside- 300 WSM is a great caliber. I like the Winchester XP3 180 gr ammo. Great weight retention and retains alot of downrange energy. Whatever you choose, get it soon cause ammo is going up again soon ( on average about 12% in January ).

Edited by martin3175
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 20:43
A 4X16 Elite is an excellent choice! You have everything with that one! Great decision!!....In the late evening, don`t use the sunshade! A sunshade is designed to reduce light during an extremely glary sunny day at the range. I have never needed a sunshade when hunting...............The 4x16 4200 is a better deal for less money than the 3x9 Conquest! Don`t worry! If you have proper body and cheek positioning you won`t be scope whacked!  
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 13:51

Only use the shade if your shooting into the sun light, when the sun is low on the horizon, otherwise you'll not be needing it.

+1 for Squeezer

The 4x16 4200 is a better deal for less money than the 3x9 Conquest! Don`t worry! If you have proper body and cheek positioning you won`t be scope whacked!  

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic