OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

40mm vs 50mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40mm vs 50mm
    Posted: October/27/2007 at 17:09

In my looking for a new scope for my remington model 7 300 SAUM I find that there are more options in the 40mm. I kind of like the option of being able to mount it lower on the gun and the scope being more compact. But I was wondering what is the advantage of the 50mm over the 40mm.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 18:22
The 50mm has little advantage over the 40, 42 or 44 mm`s........The 50`s are more money, higher profiles which don`t look as good, and somewhat heavier. There is perhaps a small difference in better light transmission from the larger objectives, but not enough to make a difference whether or not you fill your tags!!............... 
brandon327 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 21:44
Tell me if i am wrong but i would think a 40mm with a 30mm tube would bring in more light than a 50mm with a 1in tube. I would think only so much can get through no matter what you bring in. I would also think that the tube would be like a funnel the bigger it is the more you can get through at a time.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 21:51
i would buy higher quality glass than worry about the size of the tubes and objectives, better glass cannot be substituted for no matter how big the tube or objectives are. a scope thats a 1" tube with 40mm objective would probably bring in more light than a cheapo scope with a 56mm objective.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 00:26

Hi

the scope diameter has nothing to do with it's light transmission.

The innerdiameter in the scope when all the mechanics is counted of is betwen 7-12 mm.

I like big objectives, and if big objectives is combined with farily long scopes the mounting could sometimes be as low as a small objective.

Regards Technika

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 00:31
There is some good info in the FAQ:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3828&PN=1

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 22:05

I am now contemplating between a Leupold 3-9x40 VX II or a 3-9x50 VX II. What is the advantage of the 50 over the 40.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:50
Ability to use slightly higher power without exceeding exit pupil size. Very little difference however and mounting height - weight - and cost may outweigh this difference. I view 42 - 44mm as a very good compromise when available.....close to the best of both worlds.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:21
I am an optics dummy what is the exit pupil size? Is that field of View? What about in low light situations? Such as hunting at dusk and dawn?

Edited by brandon327
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic