OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Tale of Two Nikons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wecole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Tale of Two Nikons
    Posted: October/27/2007 at 08:15

Last spring when SWFA was having the Nikon Monarch UCC sale, I ordered a 2-7x32 glossy scope for my Marlin 336.  The scopes were being discontinued to pave the way for the new Monarch line.  After I placed my order I got word from SWFA that they were out of stock.  Disappointed, I searched around and finally ordered the scope from another store (at a higher price).  A couple of weeks later, SWFA found a scope and shipped it to me.

Now I have two Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7x32 scopes, but they were manufactured at different times in different places.  I have noticed some physical differences between them.  I have not noticed any significant optical differences, but I am an amateur at this, and don't know exactly what to look for.  Can the smart folks on this board advise me which one should I mount on my Marlin, and which one should I sell on eBay?

Scope #1 is made in the Philippines.  The eyepiece diameter is 1.5".  The windage and elevation adjusting knobs are finger adjustable.  The eyepiece focus is done by rotating a rubber lip on the outside of the eyepiece which turns an internal mechanism to move the ocular objective in and out.

Scope #2 is made in Japan.  The serial number is KE0225xx.  The eyepiece diameter seems to be about 1/32 of an inch smaller than Scope #1.  The power adjustment dial is a little hard to turn, although it does turn through the whole range.  The windage and elevation adjusting knobs have slots to turn with a coin.  The eyepiece focus is done by rotating the entire eyepiece.

Scope #1 seems to be newer, although both are NIB.  I just think that scope #2 is older stock.  Any suggestions???

Edited by wecole
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 08:23
keep #2 on hand in case #1 takes fails on you cause nikon's cs dept sucks! i have three nikons right now and have had as many as 5 at a time and although i havent ever had any problems with any nikon scopes i hear there cs dept is horrible to deal with so i would say hang on to it for a bit unless you need the money.

Edited by Chris Farris
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 11:53
I was thinking it might be time to shop for another rifle instead of selling the extra scope

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 18:19

What's wrong with a solid steel and walnut, American- made rifle?

Edited to add: Nevermind. I thought you were disparaging the Marlin instead of encouraging the O. P. to ADD a rifle to his collection. My bad.

Must learn to read more carefully...

Edited by RONK
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 19:01

Stick with the Japanese made Monarch as these do not seem to be as prone to issues as those made elswhere..I spotted a second generation Monarch 3x9x40 today at a gun show labeled "made in Thailand" ..Seems Nikon is having an identity crisis..

As to Nikon's customer seevice- it simply doesn't exist. I dealt with them a year back on a new Monarch ( Phillipine made )  that gave up holding a zero after a few rounds out of a 30-06 .. Nikon tried to charge me more than I paid for it to fix it. It took a month to clear that up and 6 more  weeks to get my newly scratched up scope back ! 

Edited by martin3175
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 21:53
you must have got a rotten egg i have fired 300 rounds with my monarch  and it hasnt been anything but on the money.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 10:53

Lemons happen --I know, but explain away the lack of customer service... The story--I purchased a new silver finished Monarch 3x9x40 to go on my stainless Weatherby 30-06. I installed it myself.( done it a hundred times) . I used Leupold dual dovetail mounts and verified their alignment with Brownell's alignment rods and hand lapped them.  I also used a Warne torque wrench to eliminate over tightening the rings. I tell you this to quell the idea that it was the mounting technique that may have caused the problem.I bore sighted it, and then was off to the range.Impacts at 25 and  50 yds were on the paper and adjustments made. The first shot at 100 yd.s was close to point of aim, and then all hell broke loose. The impacts started wandering left and right along a consistent horizontal.... I first called their customer service number for  "where to send my scope" info. I sent it off to the given address and waited. About 6 weeks later I received in the mail a repair estimate of $269 for what was my  3 week old Monarch. The estimate had a number to call and an email address also. I called the number 9 times ( "the person that handles that will get back to you ?") and emailed them 7 times over the next month before I got a return email from "Ed " at Nikon acknowledging their "hiccup" and that Nikon would indeed repair it under warranty. I waited again ...and 6 weeks later the scope was returned with 3 new noticeable scratches on the body of the scope. It is now is on a 22 mag , and so far seems to be okay after only 20 or so shots. I simply don't trust it on a heavier recoiling rifle.

To be fair, I do have an earlier Monarch 1.5-4.5 and 3x9x40 , both of which are "made in Japan" and to date no issues.  One is on a 12 gauge slug gun and the other on a Remington 308. It just seems that Nikon has put cost before quality, and since moving their manufacture base to be it the Philippines or Thailand, the quality has fallen off.

That is just my opinion,,but the customer service ( or lack of ) , can't be explained away by origin of manufacture.

Also, Wecole, have fun with the  the Marlin 336 and give Hornady's new Lever Evolution ammo a try. It has shot well across the board in my H & R, Win 94 , and Marlin 336 SS. Plus it can be had around $17 a box.(good stuff )

Edited by martin3175
wecole View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wecole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 05:05

Thanks folks!  I went ahead and mounted scope #1 yesterday afternoon and zeroed it using the Leverevolution ammo.  My first shot at 25 yards didn't even put a hole in the target!  I then aimed at the bottom edge of the target and tried again; still no hole.  A slight feeling of panic...  I aimed at the top edge of the target, fired a third time, and (whew!) saw a hole near the bottom.  A few dozen clicks up, and I was in the center. 

I then moved the target out to 100 yards and refined the zero.  Sitting on a bench and using my rolled up field jacket on a table as a support, I ended up getting ~2 1/2" groups at 100 yards.  I am way out of practice, and am sure the rifle/scope/ammo combo is capable of better.  Still, I am pleased.

I am going to hold on to Scope #2 for a while, just in case scope #1 develops a problem.  I don't really need another rifle right now, but...

Edited by wecole
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 06:29
I'm thinking it's a great excuse for another rifle as well.  It's a sign from above man.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 17:24
can't have too many !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic