OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Compact 4X20 vrs. Leupold M8 4X33

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laconiajack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Compact 4X20 vrs. Leupold M8 4X33
    Posted: October/17/2004 at 15:39

Looking to mount one of these on a Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum. Both offer adequate eye relief, duplex recticles, the same field of view, and lifetime warranties.The Leupold weighs 1.3 ounces more, is 2.1 inches longer and 0.18 inches larger in diameter, but these aren't major differences. IMHO the Leupold looks more normal having an eyepice end larger than the tube, plus it has smaller adjustment knobs, and its yellow logo better matches the rifle's brass receiver. These things would justifies its 22% higher price since resale value is'nt important to me. But what would strongly influence my decision which one to buy is if one holds a significant cumulative performance edge over the other in clarity, low light conditions, reliability or other such practical matters. I'm looking for advise from people who have tried or has intimate knowledge of both scopes and who can speak factually about the pluses and minuses of these two scopes.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 15:47

i cannot comment on the burris, but i have the leupold, and love it.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 20:01
I once spent a little tim elooking through a Burris, Sightron, Weaver and Leupold 4x scopes.  I thought that Burris and Sightron were a little better than the other two.  Weaver K4 and Leupold M8 looked very similar to my eyes.  Leupold, Burris and Sightron were more flexible with eye relief.

Leupold's M8 scopes (except for 6x42) have single layer mag fluoride coatings.  Fully multicoated scopes like Burris and Sightron will be brighter.  At low magnification the difference is less pronounces than in high magnificatication scopes, but I believe you'll see it in low light situations.

Personally, I do go for a Burris.  It is cheaper than Sightron or Leupold and just as good or better optically.

Ilya
laconiajack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laconiajack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 18:20
Thanks for your input Koskin, and for making me aware of the Sightron scope as an option. Indeed, based on the Sightrons superior eye relief, fully coated optics, normal looks, and their unique windage and elevation system, I have decided to go with the Sightron scope.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2004 at 00:41
My pleasure.  I do not own a 4x Sightron but I have a couple of other Sightron scopes and I am extremely happy with them.  I don't think you an go wrong with a Sightron.

Ilya
bwanajcj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwanajcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2004 at 14:16
I had a 4x leupy for years excellent scope took recoil from 458, 416 and 375 without a hiccup. great clarity and eye relief.
you can kiss my shiny metal ass
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2004 at 12:48
The Leupold is brighter and has a more forgiving eye relief.  The most common complaint about the mini Burris scopes is the critical eye relief.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic