OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Laser Boresighter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pescatore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Boresighter
    Posted: October/25/2007 at 21:34

I'm thinking of buying a laser boresighter BUT I can't decide which of the two basic types (that I know about) to buy.

On one hand, there's the type that looks like a cartridge and actually fits in the chamber. Some of these use a .223 "cartridge" as a base (it has the actual laser) and other arbors (to fit other calibers), into which the "base" fits,  can be purchased separately.

On the other hand, there's the "stick" type that fits ito the muzzle, with the actual laser staying outside of the barrel.

While the former example, for obvious reasons, would seem to be more accurate, the latter - through the use of included "grommets" - fits everything. Heck, they mustn't be too - if at all - INaccurate, or they wouldn't continue to make and sell them, right?

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Pescatore

"My main gripe with "conventional wisdom" is that it usually has lots more to do with convention than it has with wisdom."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 22:45
I really can't understand the need to pay good money for ANYTHING that can be done better with a little common sense and a little practice. Boresighting a bolt-action or break-action rifle by eye, using a good solid rest, is as easy as breathing. A pump, semi-auto or lever gun is a different story, but if you can shoot at a berm with someone calling your hits, you should have no trouble getting on paper easily with two or three shots, providing your rifle is a consistent shooter, your scope's adjustments track correctly, and your spotter isn't an idiot.The key is a good shooting technique, a good spotter who can observe your hits and knowing which direction and how much to turn the turrets. Maybe almost twenty years as a range officer/coach for the local gun club's sight-in-your-deer-rifle-fundraising breakfasts have given me an edge, but it really isn't hard to do. If anyone disagrees, I'm all ears... 
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2007 at 00:09
I just recently got one of the Aim Shot in chamber boresighters. I have to say I couldn't be happier. I used it to rought sight an AR in my basement and I was within 3 MOA when I took it to the range. It might have been possible to get it closer if I was more careful.

Also, used it on a larger bore with an arbor and had the same good results.

My one caution - make sure when you get the thing you test it by setting it on a stable surface and verifying that it indicates the same point of aim regardless of which side is up. Said another way, if you rotate the cartridge in the bore the point the laser hits should not change. If it changes you should return it and get one that is properly aligned.

I picked the chamber type after talking to a friend of mine (a full-time gunsmith) who said that he has had problems with the stick types because the stems tend to bend. He mentioned something about putting them in the lathe repeatedly to true them back up. Your mileage may vary.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2007 at 10:40

to me, boresighters have their greatest utility in scope testing the trackability of the turret system and its returnability as it can provide a grid measurement on the actual movement, to see if the return springs are taking a set, and in some cases the actual trueness of the barrel and action. (within a restricted range of values of course). while a "box" test works really good as a down and dirty quick test, it suffers from both shooter error and reloading error. Of course almost the same imformation can be obtained from hanging a grid at distance and measuring also, but sometimes the snows just to deep.  

Pescatore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pescatore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2007 at 13:59

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, it's the owning of a couple of AR - style pieces that are about to get new glass that is making me think about a laser boresighter. And, while I I agree 100% with RONK about the absolute need for one of these things, I'm an admitted geek, and I have a hard time avoiding the consideration and ownership of shiny gadgets. It's a sickness, folks.......

Pescatore

"My main gripe with "conventional wisdom" is that it usually has lots more to do with convention than it has with wisdom."
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 11:10

Well, I'm certainly a gadget freak, too, so I understand that aspect. Lasers are pretty cool things to play with. I bought a little laser torpedo level for six bucks at Menards a couple years ago. Who would have thought twenty years ago that an average guy could someday go out and buy a LASER BEAM for the cost of a Happy Meal?!!!

If you buy one, just a reminder while I'm thinking of it, remove the arbor BEFORE firing the rifle.

Edited by RONK
Pescatore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pescatore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 21:33

To borrow a phrase from the James Bond movie, "Moonraker": "The thought had occurred to me."

Yeah, you're right, RONK. Whodathunk a "cheap" laser beam? Wonder when a "cheap" laser rifle will be in the offing?

Pescatore

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic