OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VXII 4-12x40?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VXII 4-12x40?
    Posted: October/17/2004 at 10:59
I am thinking about buying the Leupold VXII 4-12x40 for my new Tikka Stainless Lite in .270 WSM. It seems about the right power to weight scope for this gun. What do you think of this scope? Should I go with the fine duplex or heavy duplex? It will be used for both hunting and off the bench load development. Are there any other scopes in the $400 range I should consider? Thanks!
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 15:38

its not available with the heavy duplex is it??? i thought it was the fine, and wide. well, i would definently get it, and with the fine dupllex, just as i stated in the post.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Iwastemoney2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwastemoney2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 15:42
My friend just put a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 stainless on his 7mm Rem mag, we took it to the range this morning for the first time and sighted the gun in. He loves it. He claims that the adjustable objective is a nice feature for him to fine tune the scope, his eyesight is not perfect anymore and he saying the adjustability of the objective is working well for him.
Mike
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 15:50

shark bait, another thing, i wouldnt go with the silver finish, becuase the matte will look better, and wont put off a reflection in the field that deer can really see.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Shark Bait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 17:32

Thanks All. I am going to get the Leupold 4-12x40, Fine Duplex, Matte Finish. Should put me right at about 7.5lbs. for the whole outfit, including sling. Not a bad walking outfit. Now if this Tikka shoots as good as anticipated I will be in Hog Heaven! Thanks again for the advice!

Dave  Approve  Big smile

Edited by Shark Bait
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2004 at 16:37
Shark Bait, the Tikka will perform beautifully (all 3 of mine do).  I definitely think you could do better for the money than the Leupold though, especially with the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44.  This is a superior scope in the same price range. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2004 at 17:42

its not in the same price range, the last time i checked, it was over $100 more, and you dont get leupolds #1 cust service.

cory

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 11:01
It is in the price range if you know where to look.  I got my Conquest 3.5-10x44 for $400 brand new, USA warranty on ebay.  I could care less about Leupold's cust service....I have had over 20 scopes over the years (not including my Leupolds) and have never had trouble with any of them, including Leupold.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 11:55

well, i dont think chris,, brady, stephanie, david, and other SWFA staff appriciate people advising people on opticstalk.com to buy scopes from places other than SWFA.

cory

Shark Bait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 12:07

Guys - No worries. I WILL be purchasing from SWFA as I have always gotten wonderful service and they are fellow Texans.

I am 99% sold on the Leupold, but would like to hear opinions on the exact Burris, Weaver, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. model that you think I should consider. Thanks Again. Dave

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 15:04
I'm not recommending any particular place to buy anything.  That's where I happened to get the best deal.  Competition is what makes the world go 'round.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 16:02

i still think its not appropriate for a SWFA owned website. i am aware that competition is everything, but you dont do posting on here that ebay has a better price, its not quite as bad if you tell about another site that has a few bucks off, and SWFA will match there price by 10%, so they still make some money off it, but they cant match ebays prices, and its nto liek your only telling this one guy about the better deal on ebay, but anybody who opens up this post will see.

cory

brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:00
I had a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest on my Winchester  mod 70 classic stainless in 270 WSM.  The Zeiss was too heavy and the rifle didn't feel right. I sold it and put a Silver Leupold VXII 4-12x40 on it.  Black stock, base and rings; stainless barrel, silver scope. Perfect!
Brian
PS- I like the 270 WSM...a lot!
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:06
Did you just post to the oldest thread on the forum?
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:16
Some pretty old threads have been coming back to life lately. It's pretty cool to see what people were thinking a few years back.

Doug
brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by gglass gglass wrote:

Did you just post to the oldest thread on the forum?
That's hysterical!!!  I'm still laughing!  I'm a record setter.  I try to stay on top of everything! Too funny!
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic