OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Please help me decide.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junglejim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me decide.
    Posted: October/25/2007 at 01:12

I just recently discovered this forum, and have been lurking around the last few days. This is one of the best sites of this type that I have had the pleasure of reading. You all seem very helpful, and even when you disagree you don't flame each other. I was hoping for your help in choosing an optic. I am looking for a scope to mount on a flat top AR (16 inch barrel). I have narrowed it down to a few choices:

Meopta Meostar 1.5-5x20

Kahles 2-7x36 CL

Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32

Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38

I was hoping for an illuminated reticle, but I don't think it's in the budget ($500ish, less is better.) Are any of these good low light performers? Any help or suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jim

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 06:28

I like the Meopta choice 

Meopta Meostar 1.5-5x20

Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38

But the zeiss would work very well, take your time, and look around a bit. there are holosights that just might suit your needs better. 

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
junglejim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junglejim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 07:37

Thanks for the input. I have actually considered a red dot. I was thinking of using this mount/ring (see link),and running it independant of the scope. Is that overkill?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=39

Jim

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 08:10

If close quarter is a concern I would use a laser sight, It's alot less weight. A touch pad and you light up when you need to.

Then you also have the scope for mid-long range. Just make sure that you get the green @ 10 mw or higher so you can use it during daylight beyond the 50 ft threshold.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 09:08
Quite a bit, depends on your planned use. For low light red dots are pretty hard to beat. If you haven't played with one you can get a Simmons or BSA pretty cheaply (less than $50) and see what you think of it. From that perspective you could also pick up a low cost low power large objective scope from BSA (or whoever) and that would also provide more information. Once you have decided on what you want from a power and objective standpoint the last part (picking the brand) becomes easy. Once you are done with them you just sell them on ebay and buy the one you want. Or save them for test setups. :)
junglejim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junglejim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 17:17
Thanks for the responses so far. I had never really considered a laser before. I have seen them mounted on some AR's, but always considered them sort of gimicky; however, you guys are certainly knowledgeable so I'll research those. To tell you the truth most of my shooting experience (military/law enforcement) is iron sights, with the exeption of a couple hunting rifles . I am building my second AR (sold the first one years ago). It will probably be my only one. My wife doesn't understand the obsession so funding is limited to a new toy every few years to maintain the peace. So I was hoping to build a SHTF rifle to cover a wide range of missions, but at the same time keeping it rather simple. Some guys I know have so much stuff atttached to thier rails, they can barely get a hand on it to shoot. My thought process for optics was to have a relatively compact scope for longer shots, and observation. I like the red dots, but don't have much experience with them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic