OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopta vs. leopold vs. sightron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altrob1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopta vs. leopold vs. sightron
    Posted: October/24/2007 at 22:36
I have a sightron sII 3X12X42 mil dot on my .308.  I have been happy with it until last week.  I went out shooting with a buddy who had a leopold MKIV with tactical ranging reticle(has mil lines, but not mil dots). I believe his MK4 was 4.5X14.   It was 80 degrees 4mph wind noticeable mirage and we were shooting 200-400M.   His leopold was noticably clearer, finer, and more precise to shoot than my Sightron...........I admit I don't expect my $300 sightron to be as good as his $1000 leopold. I am considering upgrading.  What do people out there think Meopta Artemis 2000 3X12X50 #4b vs.  Leopold MKIV 4.5X14 VS. Sightron SII 3X12X42?

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 23:23

I would go for the Meopta.

Leupold have variable eye relief, pretty dark optics and strong mechanics, and poor FOV so it's not that difficult to find scopes that easaly matches Leupolds.

Regards Technika

Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 11:05
Please forgive me if this sounds condescending. It is not meant that way at all, but a fairly common issue when you notice a 'large' difference between two scopes with good optics is sometimes one is not well focused to your eyes. I am not saying this was the case, you have only made one post here so I don't know your level of expertise. It is just that I have used both Sightrons and Leupolds and while there can be a difference in optics, usually it isn't enough to make folks want to switch. The other thing that comes to mind.. when there is mirage scopes are doubly sensitive to focus adjustments. This is because if things (target / crosshairs) are slightly out of focus then the only thing in perfect focus is the mirage which exists at every point in the focal continuum. 

Edited by Graysteel
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 12:50

Graysteel brings up some very good points.  Just like when I go through my local gunshop every time and when I peer through the Swarovskis and find no major differences as compared to others, one problem is, I do not spend enough time trying to focus it correctly.  Second, in this scenario, have you ever compared your scope to his, without a mirage?  Third, I assume you are talking about field mirage and not barrel mirage, as if it is the latter, your rifle may have been emitting more than his.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic