OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Sears Model 53 .30-06 Sprg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Sears Model 53 .30-06 Sprg
    Posted: October/24/2007 at 15:53

I am now beginning to do what I have been longing to do for as long as I can remember... hunting!  I recently acquired my wife's grandfather's (really) old .22 for my sons and my father-in-law's Sears Model 53 .30-06 Springfield for myself.  Although I am a novice at hunting, I am not with firearms (thanks to 16+ years in the Army).  I plan to go deer hunting in a couple of weeks and would like to get a scope and practice with it soon.  My problem is I have not fired any type of rifle with a scope so I have no idea what scopes I should consider for my .30-06.  I searched the forum, but didn't find much.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jon D. Graham
--
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 16:55
Welcome aboard!!!!!....................I assume that you favor a variable as opposed to a fixed power?  As a guideline, the best all around variable, that will satisfy mostly all hunting needs for hi-powered rifles, is going to be the 3X9! From there you can choose a 2.5 X 10, a 4 X12 and maybe a 4 X 16!.... For the `06, a 3 X 9 is more than sufficient. The others will over scope your rifle................There are many scopes to choose from. We need a budget or price point that you would like to adhere to. That will determine our recos to you!.............................
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 20:07
Mugdock -

It all starts with how much you want to spend.  Big Squeeze is largely correct in that a 3-9 variable power is probably your best all around bet, although a 2-7 would be fine if you don't plan on shooting beyond 300 yards.

I would encourage you to check out the Sample List, on this site.  There are some very good deals there.   I would recommend spending an absolute minimum of $150 on your scope.  At this price range, there are plenty of Nikon Buckmaster scopes available that would serve your purpose. 

If you want to spend a little more, say $250-$350, perhaps a Burris or Weaver.  If you are willing to spend $450-$600, go with Kahles.

You can purchase from the Samplelist with confidence, that is for sure.  You can save a substantial $$$ of money and generally get a like-new product that benefits from manufacturer warranty coverage (confirm with SWFA in advance).  It's sort of a no-brainer in my opinion.

Good luck.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 20:08

Big Squeeze is right about you giving us at least a general idea of how much you are willing to spend, before we can start in with any realistic recommendations. Regardless, we can make you fairly happy for less than 4 grand, I'm sure...

Edited to add: ND2000 chimed in with good advice while I was typing.

To expand on that, though we also really need to know what weather, lighting and terrain in which you will be hunting. If you hunt in very heavy cover all the time, for example, a 3-9 variable , while a good all-around scope, may be a poor choice compared to a 1-4x or even a red-dot sight of some sort.

Edited by RONK
Mugdock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 06:41

Let's see...  It goes without saying (so why say it, eh? ) my goal is to buy the best possible scope with the least amount of money (I can hear everyone saying 'Duh!' right now).

Price: I prefer to spend less than $200 but can stretch my budget to $250.  So, a scope (well) under 4 grand will suffice, thank you.

Terrain: I am currently at Ft. Bragg, NC so the terrain is mostly wooded rolling hills (heavy cover).  However, I am moving soon to either Arizona (more open) or Pennsylvania (moderate to heavy cover) within the next 6-12 months and would like a decent all around scope to suit any terrain (and I guess that goes for weather and lighting well).

Most of the scopes I have been looking at are 3-9 variable (mostly Bushnell), so I guess I am on the right track there.  I like Nikon's excellent camera lenses, so I suspect their scopes are excellent as well.  I don't know too much about Burris, Weaver, or any of the other million or so brands out there.  Too many choices makes for a tough decision.

I haven't looked yet, but is there a survey of sorts which shows, for instance, what scopes hunters in NC, AZ, or PA (and elsewhere, of course) prefer to use under varying conditions?

--
Jon D. Graham
--
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 06:56

I cannot comment on the brand of scope you should consider, as our price ranges are different to America. I would however say that a 3,5 - 10 x 40 or 50 will cover you for all types of terrain and hunting distance.

For short work a 3,5 or less is required (following up on wounded etc ) and the top end of 10 is nice. I prefer the 10x to the 9x. I know, I know, there is no visible difference between 9x and 10x, but I am saying the top end is definatley used by me and a variable of 2,5 to 14 would in fact make an excellent hunting model for all occasions.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 07:14

Welcome to the forums.  I agree that a nice 3-9 powered scope would be perfect.  Low enough on the power range to work in heavy woods and if the opportunity later on presents itself the 9x  will come in handy.

Little advice on optics, you get what you pay for (generally). There are some "better buy's" in any given price range.  Now that is not to say that every hunter out there needs a $ 2,000 rifle scope. BUT every hunter should  have a solid "good" scope.  In your price range you can get into a good solid entry level scope that will provide you with years of service. I played the "cheap" game for years and then finally saw the light.  Many "cheap scopes" still cost around $100-$150 and they will work OK but stepping up to say a $200 or a $250 scope will be a H U G E step in performance. So with that being said some suggestions of some great scopes in your price range are:

Burris Fullfield http://www.swfa.com/c-203-burris-fullfield-ii-rifle-scopes.a spx

Bushnell 3200 Elite http://www.swfa.com/c-184-bushnell-elite-3200-rifle-scopes.a spx

Nikon Buckmaster http://www.swfa.com/c-220-nikon-buckmaster-riflescopes.aspx

Sightron SII http://www.swfa.com/c-1514-sightron-sii-riflescopes.aspx

Weaver Grand Slam http://www.swfa.com/c-253-weaver-grand-slam-rifle-scopes.asp x  The Weaver is a bit out of your price range but Weaver has a 50.00 mail in rebate so it puts it right there with the rest of the pack.

Not carried here at SWFA but a very nice scope if you do an inter-net search is the Browning 3-9X40 Rifle Scope 883940M it's basically a Bushnell Eilte scope. The Browning scopes are made by Bushnell for Browning. The nice thing about the Browning is you get better glass in terms of optical coatings for the price.  So it's about the same price as a Bushnell 3200 but you get better glass closer to the Bushnell 4200 at less money.

All the scopes mentioned above will provide you with nice optics at a pretty reasonable price.

ALSO...here is the link to the SWFA sample list. This area is for demo models or referbished scopes the nice thing is you can save a great deal of money.  On that list the Nikon Buckmaster at $149.95 is a real good buy.  http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_ sold=False

Good luck and welcome

AC

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 07:23

The Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 is one of the best buys on the rifle scope market, $260. The optics are great, it is rugged, and looks good on a rifle.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Welcome to O.T.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 07:37
WOW I didn't see that ......Yes what Tahqua said...if you can get a Bushnell 4200 Elite at $260.00 SNATCH IT UP.  The 4200 Elite is a GREAT scope and at that price the deal of the century.  The other scopes I mentioned above are all nice scopes but the 4200 Elite is a step above and at that price a great buy.
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 07:42
AS "tahqua" states, for the price of $260 on this site, the 3X9 Elite 4200 is the best scope on the market.....One sits on top of my 300 WSM. This scope will slightly exceed the VX111`s optics, is only a fraction lower in brightness to the Zeiss Conquest while remaining just as clear, crispy and resolute, has been recoil tested to 10,000 rounds on a 375 H&H, features the Rainguard lens coatings (which really works) meaning you`ll never lose a shot in ANY weather condition and has a one piece aluminum/titanium alloy tubing. Warranty is lifetime and transferable to any new owner with no card or paperwork needed.................No other scope at this price point, for what you get in return, exceeds the Elite 4200! 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 09:20

4200 all the way man, You'll LOVE IT !!!!

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 09:26
200125 Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Rifle Scope                                                                                  Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • German 3P#4
  • 1"
SWFA: $175.95
More Info... Buy Now

the #4 reticle is about the best for deer hunting. if you are not used to shooting w/ a scope, the lower profile will help ease you in to it.

if you want a little bit more as far as glass, try the elite 4200, or the Nikon Monarch - BUT they don't have the #4 reticle, so the boost in glass, won't
matter if you can't see the crosshairs.

my 2 cents.

good luck and knock em down.

J

Mugdock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 11:40

I just came back from a quick trip to look at some scopes at Gander Mountain.  Of the several I looked at, I liked the Nikon Buckmaster and Bushnell 3200 Elite.  I don't remember seeing the 4200 (I ignored anything close to or over $250), but I will stop by again on the way home this afternoon to have a look at it.

Everyone, thank you!  I appreciate all of the responses which are highly informative. 

--
Jon D. Graham
--
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 11:54
The extra $60 or so for the 3X9 4200 vs. the 3200, will be well worth it and certainly justified!!!!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 18:51

The fact that you may move to Arizona justfies a 2-7x or 3-9x to me, allowing me to agree with about everyone who posted so far. I would say to get the 4200 as well, but jonbravado makes a very good argument in favor of the Burris, too.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 18:55
I agree, the #4 is a good low light reticle and the FF is pretty good glass for the money. 
Mugdock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 09:51

Thanks everyone for your input.  I went with the Elite 4200.  It came in yesterday and I quickly had it mounted and took it to the range (luckily, I am in a position where I can just take off from work when I want). Big smile  Just one thing I forgot since I hadn't fired one in a long while... the .30-06 has a nice kick to it.

Next up (after a couple more trips to the range) is the coming hunting trip.  I can't wait!

-Jon

--
Jon D. Graham
--
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic