OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Command Post Reticle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Command Post Reticle
    Posted: October/23/2007 at 19:38

I was recently going through some old hunting photos, and was reminded of an old friend who owned a B&L ScopeChief riflescope, years ago. He had it on a gorgeous Safari Grade Belgian Browning, chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. Anyway, the scope had what I believe the manufacturer referred to as the Command Post Reticle. It was a pretty neat little system in which you turned a ring or flipped a little lever to change the reticle from a crosshair to a heavy post reticle. I don't recall ever seeing it discussed here. I remember the optics being quite good, but I wonder how good the scope really was, overall. I am a fan of post reticles for deer hunting, and was curious if anybody here has ever used one of those scopes. I'm pretty sure that the way it worked was that when you had it set as crosshairs, you were looking at a wire reticle, and when you set it to "post", the post "wire" stood up from a flat position at the bottom of the tube to it's position with the top of it at the intersection of the hairs.  Pretty cool, but maybe just a gimmick prone to failure?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 22:48
have an old redfield 3x9 post "wide angle" I'll trade you for a new Leo.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 17:50
Thanks, Dale, but I'm not really looking to buy or trade. I was mostly just trying to find out if anybody had ever used a B&L ScopeChief with that reticle. Just never really heard too much about them.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:02
I've never heard of that reticle, Ron.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:03
I think Rifledude has a browning safari grade, pictures, pictures.  How did one set the scope to post???
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:22
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the way it worked was that when you had it set as crosshairs, you were looking at a wire reticle, and when you set it to "post", the post "wire" stood up from a flat position at the bottom of the tube to it's position with the top of it at the intersection of the hairs.  Pretty cool, but maybe just a gimmick prone to failure?

You are correct, though I have never used one here is a pic

I don't know about the durability.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:31

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

I think Rifledude has a browning safari grade, pictures, pictures.  How did one set the scope to post???

I really can't recall exactly, but I think it was either a tiny lever on the turret or possibly a ring, similar to the magnification ring on most variables which you simply rotated, maybe an eighth of a turn???

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:39
The lever was on the top of the turret.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:41

Yeah, Tahqua that's it!

I think it was a great idea, maybe a few years ahead of the technology necessary to make it durable? Anybody want to contact a good scope manufacturer about resurrecting it? (Only this time, maybe make the top of the post level with the crosshairs.) DUH! 

Edited by RONK
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:46

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

I think Rifledude has a browning safari grade, pictures, pictures. 

Some pics of it in this thread, but it's one of the Sako - made short action versions, not a Belgian Browning:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6562&KW=1% 2E5%2D6+zenith

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:50
I remember that beauty!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:52

I recall thinking that it would work well for well-lit long shots with the post down and out of view, using only the rather fine crosshairs. When the sun starts going down or you get into the thick brush, flip it up and you've got a reticle you can see against any background. Just never understood why it didn't gain some real popularity...

Edited to add: handsome rig Rifle Dude!  My friend's rifle was an FN Mauser, but the wood wasn't quite as nice as yours. It was very nicely fitted and finished though.

Edited by RONK
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:58
I think it's a very good idea too, RONK, provided there aren't any adverse mechanical issues with the moving post that could affect the scope's reliability.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 19:08

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I think it's a very good idea too, RONK, provided there aren't any adverse mechanical issues with the moving post that could affect the scope's reliability.

I can't imagine the post being very solidly attached to anything in either position, so I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they had a tendency to go flying around inside the tube on occasion. Just speculating, though...

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 23:39

Hi

I have one and seen a few others.

Those are not durable, and you can easaly see it as the post is not returning to the excactly the same spot each time, it's all dependning on how fast you are turning the ring.

This is really a sight to avoid..

Mine has quite low magnification 2,5X or something, belive they did them in 4 and 6X as well, know nothing about variables.

Regards Technika

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Hi

I have one and seen a few others.

Those are not durable, and you can easaly see it as the post is not returning to the excactly the same spot each time, it's all dependning on how fast you are turning the ring.

This is really a sight to avoid..

Mine has quite low magnification 2,5X or something, belive they did them in 4 and 6X as well, know nothing about variables.

Regards Technika

That's kinda what I wondered about. I think the one I encountered was a 4x fixed. I thought it was bright and clear optically, but I wasn't quite as discriminating back then, either.

KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 23:29
Hello all

I am interested in purchase of a REDFIELD Accu range 3x9 scope, with or without accu trac.  I will trade a Millett TRS-1 scope and mounts or purchase out right for one in good condition. If you have one and want to sell it or trade it please contact me.  Steve KB0WZL@hotmail.com
Steve
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 04:27
I remember back in the olden days, growing up on the farm, that Bushnell had the Command Post reticle. According to some of my ancient American Rifleman magazines, they were available back around 1959 on up through the late seventies--maybe even longer. I never owned one. But I have seen them on used rifles in gun stores. I remember looking thru one several years ago and flipping it on and off. Originally there was a secret little lever that popped out of the elevation turret ( kind of like the old lever that was on the old pocket watches...), but around 1963 or so they came out with a second generation which was a knurled ring near the locking ring for the ocular. You simply turned that ring about a quarter of an inch and the post would snap up or down. Kinda neat. Technika says they are to be avoided!  Poker   Ha!  --Ed 
K0IQH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K0IQH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 11:07
Hello Fellows; Just joined Forum and notices posts concerning the "Command Post Reticle" I have one I purchased in 1963 at Navy PX in Yokohama, Japan.  When I bought it had a "Tasco" plate covering the "Bushnell " on side.  Mine is a Bushnell Scope Chief 4X, ser.#145591.  Mounted on a Belgium Browning 22 Auto, w/French Walnut stock.  Probably has had less than a box of 22's shoy so not too worried as to how well the "command post holds up".
K0IQH
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 15:08
This thread is 7 years old.

Welcome to the forum, though.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic