OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 8x42 vs. Minox HG 8.5x43

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 8x42 vs. Minox HG 8.5x43
    Posted: October/22/2007 at 23:36
If you could buy either one, which would you choose and why?
Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 07:10

Humm depends on what I can get the best deal on. I have seen referbished elites at about 40% off in the past.  Do you wear glasses? The Bushnell Elites have more eye relief at 17mm compared to the Minox at 15mm may not be much but something to consider.  Personally, I'd lean more to Minox has a slightly bigger field of view (again not much but a little) comes from a company with a solid reputation of mid high end optics. Not that Bushnell's Elite series scopes or bino's are bad infact quite good but at that price I want a name as well.

In that price range for myself I would look at Kahles. They are a bit heavier then the other two, has about the same eye relief as the Minox has the same fov as the Elite and has a great solid reputation as a very good binocular under $1000. Plus they tend to hold their value in case you want to sell later and up grade.

Another to consider is the Meopta, when I looked through it I thought it was a pretty nice binocular a bit heavy in weight but very good glass.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 16:34
I'd have to look through and handle both.

Bushnell Elite offers 90% light transmission to your eyes. FOV 372', E.R. 19.5mm, Tripod adaptable. $900+

Minox HG Aspheric offers 92% light transmission. FOV 320.9', E.R. 18mm. $750

I like the price of the Minox and I like the idea of the 8.5x, as well as the 92% L.T.

Edited by Bird Watcher
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 06:52

If you look around you can find the Elite for $779 after a $100 mail in rebate. It is a very good binocular, and it has a much wider field of view than the Minox. 

I don't think that anyone can actually see the difference of 2% in light transmission. Those figures are just advertising gimmicks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic