OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Really picky person wants new binos!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really picky person wants new binos!
    Posted: October/21/2007 at 17:20
First, some background: I spent a couple of decades (late '70s through the early '90s) selling high end photography
equipment. I have a good background in optics, and once built an optical bench for testing camera lenses. My eyes are
extremely sensitive to collimation errors, and I know the difference between resolution and contrast. I give you the foregoing
not to brag, but to give you an idea of where I'm coming from and the kind of equipment I'm used to working with.

Many years ago I found the only binos that I could stand to look through for any length of time were either Zeiss or Leitz. I
lost my pair of Leitz glasses quite some time ago, and at the time couldn't afford to replace them. (In fact, I still can't justify
the cost, but I'm coming 'round to the inevitability!)

On the (faulty) recommendation of someone who I thought knew better, I bought a pair of (then) recently introduced Pentax
DCF 10x roof prism binos, sight unseen. While they weren't the worst I've used, they leave a LOT to be desired - I couldn't
stand to look through them for more than a minute or two.

Going shopping at my local retailer seems to leave me, again, with the choice of Zeiss or Leitz. The Swarovski units aren't
bad, but not up to the standards of the others, while Steiners (to my eyes) just stink. Nothing else they carry (mostly the
better Japanese stuff) is even close.

However, my retailer doesn't carry everything, and not even all the models in any given marque. I'm hoping someone with
broader experience can make a recommendation!

I'm looking for something around 8x40, porro prism. Many years ago I grew rather fond of an old pair of Russian military
binos with their separate focusing, so I wouldn't be averse to that kind of a system. (It does make for somewhat better rain
resistance and probably lower cost at any given quality point.) Again, I am quite sensitive to even tiny collimation errors, so
they need to be top-notch optically. I am willing to give up some color accuracy, but don't appreciate spherical aberration or
field curvature in optical systems. They do need to be relatively sturdy, as they'll be used in the field in inclement weather.

So, what's out there for me?

Edited by GrantC
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 18:47
I don't know if you have any experience with the Fujinon FMT-SX series. They seem to be quite scarce in local stores.

Right now they are making an 8x30mm FMTR-SX. These are considered the best Marine binocular coming out of Japan. They have the IF/Individual Focus similar to the Russian military binocular.

Rather than giving you a long laundry list, you can check on them at www.fujinon.com
just look them up under the binocular section.

One other one for you to look into, from top-of-the-line Japanese optics, is the Nikon Premier SE 8x32mm porro prism, this is a CF/Center Focus bino. However, these are NOT 100% waterproof.
www.nikonsportoptics.com

These two models, from Fujinon and Nikon represent some of the best porro prisms available today.

Lastly, there is the Swarovski Habicht porro prism 8x30W at www.swarovskioptik.com

Here's one just for grins:
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Swift-8-5x44-Audubon.php

p.s. Since the Nikon is not 100% waterproof I will also refer you to the Minox BD 8x44mm BP porro prism which IS 100% waterproof.
www.minox.com

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/03/2008 at 23:05
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 23:26

Hi

My favorite is the Zeiss 7x50B Marine, those are still produced by Zeiss and coss new around 1600 US.

They are Individual focus and porro binoculars and this is making them less desirable that centerfocus in mostly peoples view. Personaly I prefer both porro and individual focus.

The good thing about it is that their second hand value is quite low, far lower than any other second hand quality binocular.

Usaly they are sold for less than 500 US.

Loads of those are in Service worldwide by aremies and coastguards today and they have been produced for a long time. They are highly regarded for beeing very durable and watertight.

They can often be found at ebay, and currently this is the only one i found

http://cgi.ebay.de/Zeiss-7x50-B_W0QQitemZ130163708072QQihZ00 3QQcategoryZ26079QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I have seen them before on ebay.com as well.

The bad thing is that they are a bit heavyer (42oz) than many smaller binoculars.

So my advise is to look for them second hand, esesially since you are on a budget.

Here is the one I am using, as far as I understand is it a special version for the Swedish Navy, they are much shorter and more compact than any of the commersial versions I have seen.

This pair are probably around 20-30 years old and performs extremely well.

Regards Technika

GrantC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

I don't know if you have any experience with the Fujinon FMT-SX series. They seem to be quite scarce
in local stores. These two models, from Fujinon and Nikon represent some of the best porro prisms available today.

I have extensive experience with Fujinon large format and enlarging lenses from "back in the day", and they were top notch
performers. Are their binoculars truly at the performance level of their German competitors?
GrantC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

My favorite is the Zeiss 7x50B Marine, those are still produced by Zeiss and coss new around
1600 US.

They are Individual focus and porro binoculars and this is making them less desirable that centerfocus in mostly peoples
view. Personaly I prefer both porro and individual focus.

The good thing about it is that their second hand value is quite low, far lower than any other second hand quality binocular.[/
P]

Usaly they are sold for less than 500 US.

Thank you for that tip - I will keep a look out for those.
GrantC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 00:00
I do have a riflescope from IOR Valdada, and have been very impressed with its performance, especially given the attractive pricing. I've never seen
a pair of their binos, however - are they at all comparable to the better European optics?
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 03:34

I have not been impressed by IOR, never looked trough their binoculars though, just sights.

Regards Technika

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 06:33

8x, porro prism, budget, that would be a Nikon Premier SE 8x32. If you have never looked through a pair of those, beware. After them, every other binoculars will seem imperfect.    

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 08:03
Grant,

The Japanese give humble recognition to the European optical companies as being superior products, however, they also recognize that their top-of-the-line products are excellent for the price. Here is a comparison for you to read, http://www.holgermerlitz.de/nikon8x32.html

What state are you located in?

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/03/2008 at 23:06
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 08:35

i would put the 7x50 fujinon polaris at the top of my list.

they feel good, the image is stable, and the resolution and relative brightness is every bit as good as swarovski - IMO.

for under 700 bucks, they are a steal.

i have compared them to nikons, swaro, and zeiss binos and they have thoroughly impressed me.

J

GrantC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 22:25
OK, I've managed to look at the Nikon and Fujinon binos mentioned in this thread...I prefer the Nikon optics, but they really need to be waterproof. I like the Fuji's construction, and their optics are really great, but the slight "rolling ball" effect is disconcerting. (At sea such things probably don't matter.)

I haven't found anyone locally who has the Minox BD 8x44mm BP. I've read what's available on this forum about them, but has anyone done a side-by-side with either the Nikon or Fuji? I'd like a comparison to something I already know.

(BTW, back in the "good old days" I sold and owned quite a bit of Minox camera gear, both the submini and compact 35 stuff. Somewhere I think I still have a few unopened Minox film carts and prepaid mailers...!)

-=[ Grant ]=-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic