OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help finding a fixed 4x scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help finding a fixed 4x scope
    Posted: October/20/2007 at 20:28

I'm looking for a fixed 4x scope under $500, and would appreciate some help finding what's out there.  So far I know of the following:

Zeiss 4x32 conquest

Weaver K4

Thanks,

Smitty

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2007 at 21:46
The best fixed 4x scope in the sub$500 range that I can think of is  IOR Hunting 4x32 with #4 reticle.

There are, of course, other choice in a variety of price ranges:

Burris Short Mag 4x20
Leupold FXII 4x32
a bunch of cheap chinese 4x scopes

ILya
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2007 at 23:17

It's going on a Stevens 200 long action.  I need a long scope.  From the back of the rear scope ring to the front of the front of the forward scope ring is 5.5".

I first need to find all the 4x scopes and then eliminate them by tube length.

I should have a bought the 4x Monarch not long ago when they were being cleared out.  I also saw that Weaver had a fixed 4.75x GrandSlam but its recently discontinued. 

The Burris Short Mag is too short.  I'll do some research on the FXII.

Were have all the 4x scopes gone? 

Smitty

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 01:31
Try the IOR 4x32.  It is pretty long for a 4x scope.  Not sure what the mounting length is, but people use it on long actions.

ILya
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 05:12
Too bad you need a long scope, I am getting ready to list a SIGHTRON SII 4X32 for sale on ebay. It has really bright clear optics and 4.5 inch eye relief but it is a really compact scope. Check the sample list for a 4x40 Nikon Monarch, too bad there are no Elite 4200 fixed power scopes out there because that is where I leave my scope setting at most of the time.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 09:03
Well you could always buy a bushnell 4200  4-16x40 and just leave it on 4x its plenty long.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 09:07

Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope

Send this page to a friend
Specifications
Weight (oz): 9.3

Wide Duplex

Length (in): 10.47
Eye Relief (in): 4
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 24
MOA: 1/4
Finish: Matte
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.5

Front Ring Space (in): 2.18
Rear Ring Space (in):

OR GO TO    ----     Leupold 6x36 FX-II  

Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.94

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 13:29
Smitty -

Personally, I would wait for another 4x fixed Kahles C to come to the market on the Samplelist.  Scope is phenomenal.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 13:52

The IOR 4x32 would be nice but looking at the photo the mounting length looks short.  It has a very wide fov, it's 29 ft which is more like what a 3x scope would have.  I'll call the manufacturer to get the mounting length.

Should I give up and get a variable like everybody else?  The Conquest fixed 4x32 scope costs more than their 3-9x40 and it has 40mm objective vs 32mm. 

Smitty

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 14:54
What will be the primary use?  Fixed will give you better optics for the money...

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 16:53

Smitty- I would just like to remind you that extension rings are available for many brands and types of mounting systems. There's almost always a mounting solution available for any combination of gun and scope out there. Personally, I think you should get the scope you like the best and then worry about mounting it. A one-piece

rail with multiple cross-slots is even better than extension rings, and several are available for Savage rifles. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get that to work to your complete satisfaction.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 11:42
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Smitty- I would just like to remind you that extension rings are available for many brands and types of mounting systems. There's almost always a mounting solution available for any combination of gun and scope out there. Personally, I think you should get the scope you like the best and then worry about mounting it. A one-piece

rail with multiple cross-slots is even better than extension rings, and several are available for Savage rifles. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get that to work to your complete satisfaction.

I agree. 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 12:09

Koshkin's suggestion is a darn good one. the IOR fixed are really nice and are available w/ #4 reticle.

BUT for under 200 bucks - i have the 4x40 monarch UCC and it's really good. plex reticle though.

i hunted w/ it the weekend and was very please at the lowlight capability AND sight picture.

but if you have the money - IOR is the way to go, IMO - if you want to save, the nikon monarch is great.

www.swfa.com

good luck.

J

JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 18:57
The Weaver GS 4.75 may be discontinued, but it is still available and I have seen it advertised for $140, not including the Weaver rebate for GS scopes.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 19:02

I would have to consider the IOR or a Kahles off here

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false

The Leupold is a very good 4x, also.

smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 02:30

The 4x Monarch is discontinued and I remember seeing them here not long ago for about $170, should have bought one.

I never new about the Grand Slam 4.75 until recently.  I was thinking a 5x scope would be just right and saves the trouble of having to decide between 4x and 6x.   The price I saw was $280, after the rebate should be $230 but has anyone actually got a refund from the rebate? 

I'm hesitant to fall for rebate "trick" because in this last year I bought a Bosch drill what had a rebate which I didn't get, I bought a Mac laptop and didn't get the rebate and 2 years ago bought an Olympus binocular and didnt get the rebate.  I think the rebates are a scam to get us to buy but they never pay out. 

I didn't like what I read about the IOR in this review and I don't like that its a heavy scope...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/valdada_4x32mm.htm

For now, I'm going to cheap-out and try the K4 4x38, it's $117 & free shipping.    If it doesn't work out I can use it on a 10/22.

A new K4's actual magnification is 3.7x and it has an exit pupil over 10mm so it should be bright even though it doesn't have the quality of glass as the Nikon or IOR. 

I'll try it out and let you guys know how it does. 

Smitty

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 03:37
As a general comment, when it comes to optics, Chuck Hawks is an incompetent hack (I am trying to be nice here).

I have not had any problems with IOR's adjustments whatsoever.  As for the steel tube, it has both advantages and drawbacks, certainly.  #4 reticle is my favourite reticle, but that is certainly a matter of opinion.

ILya

Edited by koshkin
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 18:54
Maybe I was unclear in my post.  The price on the 4.75 Weaver GS was $140.  If the rebate works, and I see no reason it would not, that would be an added savings.  That said,  I used a Weaver K4 for years on a 30-30 and it worked fine for an inexpensive scope.  I have had a similiarly good experience with a Weaver V3.
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 23:07
I also have the V3 and it's great. My good experience with V3 is why I think the K4 should be just as good.

Were did you see the 4.75 GS for $140? If I could get that price I'd buy it.

Smitty

Edited by smitty
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2007 at 08:45
See PM,  Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic