OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hot Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Barrels
    Posted: October/19/2007 at 08:04

It's obviously well known that hot barrels lead to reduced accuracy in rifles.  I was just curious, how much do you all experience this with your guns? 

My primary hunting rifle is a 30-.06 and I prefer 150-gr bullets.  At 200 yards, I notice that after my barrel gets hot it throws the bullet to the left about 6-8 inches at that distance.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 08:17
usually when the barrel gets hot the first indication you should see is the bullets start to "walk" up the target and yes they can also be thrown off one side or a the other as well which i why i usually only shoot 3 shot bursts then take walk and look at the target drink some pop then maybe shoot the last two once the barrel has cooled a little
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 08:35
It is different with each rifle I own, depending on the barrel diameter, length and caliber.  But, yes they all do the same when they get to that "certain" temperature.  It can really be irritating.  You see all these nice groupings on the site that are great.  But, when you are trying to get these same groupings exactly 1.5 inches high, those fliers can be annoying.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 09:39
So barrels seem more or less vulnerable to changes in temp. I have speculated that in some barrels the issue is one of latent stresses in the metal that become more apparent as the metal warms. You will often hear the term "cold bore zero" that refers to the difference between where the first shot of a rifle goes versus the second and later shots.

I have also noticed that some barrels seem to 'settle' in after a few shots. My guess there, is that they reach a more homogeneous temp after a few rounds as the barrel starts to leach heat into the air.

Edited by Graysteel
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 09:45

Graysteel -

You bring up another good point.  My cold bore shot is typically 1-1.5 inches higher than shots 2-5 at 100 yards.  I can get about 10 shots in before accuracy goes to hell and then I go get a cold beverage like Pryo.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 09:46
i always zero my hunting rifles to a cold barrel if it takes me all day to get sighted in and i only shoot 5 shells so be it, cause really for me out in the field thats what i gotta do, usually if the first shot isnt good enough the following shots arent that far off any way.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 11:38
leads to reduced accuracy in some rifles.  glad your qualified the statement. also and along the same line some guns shoot better the dirtier (more fouled) they get (22 lr are notorious for this). the forum sniperhide spends an unduly large amount of time debating first shot min. of man hits. just about in all cases the "wandering" problem is a wet noodle stock, or some type of bedding problem, rather than "intrinsic" melalurgical alchemy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic