OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Objective Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Objective Size
    Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:10

As the thread on maximum useful scope power did so well, I figure the logical extension is a thread on the largest practical objective.

I expect I will be a bit more in the minority on this one as I tend to prefer larger optics. I don’t generally mind the extra weight, and their advantage in low light is a clear win for me.

As for how big is big enough, I prefer an exit pupil of about 7mm. So, in an ideal world I would like 7mm if objective for every 1x of scope power. Of course, that becomes impractical rather quickly.

The combination of larger easier to bump glass and the tendency of larger optics to be more fragile means that at some point too big is too fragile. Also as the objective housing is cantilevered off of the front ring, I don’t tend to like anything over 42mm on a 1 inch tube and even that is a bit on the large size. On a 30mm tube I feel that 56mm is the largest practical size for lugging around. Any thoughts?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:23
I'm partial to a 50mm and any where between 5 and 7mm exit pupil suits me just fine for low light.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:31

I had a saying in my military days, whilst I am walking patrol and carrying a rifle and 120 rounds of ammo, I wish for the smallest rifle and calibre. But when the paw-paw strikes the fan and some shooting needs to be done, I wish for the biggest calibre and rifle made for infantry!!!

So I guess it is the same with scopes. Whilst i am lugging it around the mountains, or in and out of a vehicle, give me a 20mm Objective, but when I line up on the buck, please let it grow to a 56mm!!

The old story of trade-offs.

For hunting I use a 40mm due to ease of carry and rifle handling. For target shooting I use a 50mm due to better light gathering abilities.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:36

kinda like it's too hot, I wish it was winter, it's too cold I wish it was summer.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 21:16

It all depends on how late(dark) you stay out.It has been my personal experience that a 56mm was optimum, whether it was a 1' or 30 mm didn't seem to matter- same internals.But my new Seeadler 60mm is a whole new experience. It will now be up to me to decide if I want to take my chances with the guys in khaki uniform who don't mind writing tickets and taking away firearms.

Even though I sell German optics and want to do well with my business,I have always said, German scopes are only good for extreme ranges,and hunting in the dark- which is precisely what they were designed to do.

Derek

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic