OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is The OT Anti Leupold???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:38
Hey Dolphin,,,,,,Commenting on "8shot`s" remarks??!!! You beat me to it!!!! I don`t think he meant it as a joke. I do believe that he was quite serious! His comments do reflect a SMALL  MINORITY of snobby and eliteist Leupold owners, who feel that the sun rises and sets with their Leupold scopes!...........I find it interesting that the vast majority of "non Leupold" owners including myself, have expressed favorability towards Leupold in these forums. In this forum and debate, when we express and justify our reasons why we don`t own Leupold scopes, sometimes what you get as a reaction in return, 8shots included and from the snobby elites, is nothing more than emotional ramblings and diatribe!......I notice in "8shots" last post that he mentions nothing or offers nothing as to any advantages or quality superiorities that Leupold scopes offer compared to other scopes mentioned on this thread. It certainly seems to me that if one is going to justify his belief about something or in a product, then at the very least, one should offer some valid reasons why!!! Do you notice that we don`t see anything like that coming from these very few elite snobs?..............You`ll read in one of my last posts on this thread, that I literally challenged any elite, snobby and diehard Leupold owner to comment for us, on specifically why and how the VX111`s for example, are superior to the 4200`s, in optics, in durability and in construction! I have also made this challenge on another thread sometime ago. I am not interested in who endorses Leupold! I am not intertested in what "grand pappy" thinks! I am not interested in emotional ramblings, emotional talking points or opinions which are based on nothing more than opinions!........I am looking for facts. Manufacturing and design facts, in optics, in durability and in construction which can prove the VX111`s superiority over the 4200, the Monarch and others!!!.................If the comments by 8shots and similiar comments made by others are the BEST that they can do or offer, then the rest of us can only consider the source......If you diehard (never consider anything else) Leupold owners say you own the best; well then, let`s read why you own the best and justify your opinions with facts!!.....................As for you 8shots!! If a 4200 and a VX111 were the same price, I`d still buy the 4200 and not look back! I can assure you that I am a "non Leupold" owner, not because I can`t afford one, it`s because the 4200 optically, is simply a better scope than the VX111...... If you very few and in the minority diehard and snobby, (never will consider anything else), Leupold owners wish to convince the rest of us that your Leupold scope is superior, then do so with your product, the facts and stay on subject!!! Unlike the above ramblings that we see with 8shots, let`s read some facts and offer some real evidence.............................Hey 8shots! I sincerely hope that your user name doesn`t mean that you had to take 8 shots to down an animal!!!!! If so, did you have a Leupold on that rifle????      
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:50
I think 8shots was just kidding around, Squeezer.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:57
Agree, he's always been a gentleman and far from what I would call an elitist.
God save the Empire!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:00

I thought it was funny, of course its tongue in cheek. It's not a contest , leo doesn't need anyone to prove what it is or isn't -- the market place will take care of that.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:04
If he`s joking around then fine!! If not???? I can`t read the guy`s mind or understand the motives simply by what he types!!!! I will still wait for his,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,facts and evidence!!! 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:05
8shots wouldn't do anything to cause such a stink guys, I'd have to agree with Cheaptrick, Dale, and Dogger, it's tongue in cheek, besides what does it really matter ?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:09
And here we thought the Millett threads were bad, might as well add Leupold to that category there Cheaptrick

Cyborg
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:12
If he wasn't joking around, I think there are 12 step programs for that illness as well...........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:13

Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

And here we thought the Millett threads were bad, might as well add Leupold to that category there Cheaptrick

Note to self....No more Millet or Leupold threads......Got it!!

Well, this ones been interesting, as I knew it would be. 

Thanks to all!!

Mike650, no hard feelings here.... 

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:15
I don't know Bigdaddy said there was a 12 step for the BullJacket syndrome It ain't workin    

Cyborg
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:24
Was that for TSX syndrome? Did I miss something?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:28

Naw it's because I have the unfortunate dilemna of being UGA as well as GT. I'm an engineer, but also environmental work as well.

It's in the College Football Thread.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:50
i dont think we are anti leupold, i think we really give stuff a fair shake and report what we see some of us see it good and some of us see it as well there is a lot of other choices that are better, i really feel that we are as fair as anyone can be.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 17:02

Anti -Leupold???

My take on it is people on this forum generally take optics pretty seriously, hence the reason they belong to an optics site.  Leupold in the day made a very good scope at a good price.  Back when a hunter/shooter either had really cheap scopes or they could get an ok scope with the Weaver step up to Leupold and after that it was high end Euro stuff, the field was pretty small.

Today there is much more compition from brands like Nikon, Pentax, Weaver, Sightron, Bushnell, Burris have cought up with and in many cases supassed Leupold in performance.  I love the fact that Leupold is still any American company employing American workers, I love the fact that the company stands behind its product. If they were close and for me that would be within 50-60 dollars of the compition I'd pay for the Leupold just for the points mentioned above. However, I will not pay $100-$200 more for equal or less performance and I don't care if they are employing my great grandmother that is crazy.

Also, at least for me I hunt with people who thinks that the sun rises and sets on a Golden Ring and it drives me crazy. Show up in deer camp with a Nikon and people will give you strange looks and dont you dare have a Bushnell (even if it is an Elite) or a Weaver (even if its a Grand Slam) "cause those are junk scopes....So my main complaint is the people that are the opposite of this thread people that defend the product like its their own company. That and I can't stand the fact that all the magazines ( reason I joined this forum to get "real" evaluations from "real" people) tend to always place Leupold on top. Finally, all the marketing C$@p the best I saw was the "sorry Germany you still make great beer"  OMG I bet Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender  and Swarovoski were intimidated LOL PLEASE!!!

I think they still make a good scope and I will give them credit perhaps the prettiest scope out there. That new gray finish is absolutly beautiful.......but then again so is the glass in a Bushnell 4200 Elite

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 17:07
Acenturian, your always a gentleman, my friend.    
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 18:40

Why is it mandatory that anyone provide evidence and facts for why they like what they like?  I interpreted 8shots' post as tongue in cheek; why automatically assume otherwise and berate a respected fellow member?  Different people place value on different things.  Depending on the intended use, in some cases, features like compactness or reticle design may be more important than pure optical performance. 

While I personally agree that scopes like the Elite 4200 are a better value than a comparable Leupold, the inescapable fact remains the 4200s, Monarchs, and Conquests of the world don't offer certain types of scopes that Leupold does.  Very few brands at any price point offer purpose built rimfire scopes, fixed high power competition scopes, and certain specialized reticles.  So, even if you're not a Leupy fan, if you want such options, do you sit and wait with a scopeless rifle, hoping maybe some day your favorite brand will offer them, or do you go ahead and buy a Leupold?

Although I can't think of a single Leupold product that I'd want to add to my collection beyond what I already have, I think Leupolds are neither as bad as their detractors would have you believe nor as good as their diehard fans would have you believe. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 18:48
Ok, I'll give my 2 cents worth. I USED to be a full, fledged, die in the wool, Leupold guy. I have never had any problems with the 7 that I own. But, for a hunting scope, there are scopes out there that are DEFINATLY brighter, and clearer. I wished I would have bought a Bushnell Elite 4200, when I bought a new VX II, for my whitetail gun. And the Kahles (model ?) I looked through was noticebly clearer (to my eyes) than a VX III. I still use my VX III Premier Reticle boosted 14.5-35X-50mm. LRT for 1000 yard shooting, but am considering a Nightforce BR model. And I still use my 2-7X Compact for bear hunting. Also, the Mark 4 8.5-25X-50mm. LR/T on my ground hog gun, serves its pupose well. I believe the main reason for Leupold's majority in BR shooting, is plenty of MOA adjustment, and good quality target turrets. This forum educated me, and I am gratefull for the optics experts opinions, they really opened up my eyes. My next hunting scope will be an Elite 4200 or possibly 1 of the European brands.  Hey, Rifle Dude, the new March BR scope is a straight 40X. Supposively March is making a large variable target model for the long range guys.

Edited by Blackbird
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 19:04

Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

I believe the main reason for Leupold's majority in BR shooting, is plenty of MOA adjustment, and good quality target turrets.

...or, more likely it's because Sightron, Weaver, and Leupold are the only companies that currently make fixed power high magnification benchrest scopes, and Sightron and Weaver don't make one above 36X while Leupy makes 40X and 45X models.  Some BR shooters don't use the scope's adjustments at all and may even glue the erector assy so it cannot move, instead opting for adjustable mounts.  Variable scopes aren't used in short range benchrest, unlike 1000 yd benchrest, where Nightforce variables dominate.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 19:12
leupolds gold ring is a lot like a wedding ring, its a symbol, a symbol of something that costs a lot of money and after  few years it wont give you anything but attitude
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 19:13

Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Hey, Rifle Dude, the new March BR scope is a straight 40X. Supposively March is making a large variable target model for the long range guys.

You're right; I forgot about that one.  I believe that scope is made by a little known company called Koto Precision.  Doesn't seem to be very many of them in use yet.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic