OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is The OT Anti Leupold???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 04:57

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I think somebody needs to read my entire post again not just the Leupold comment. Smile

New guy - old question...

Cheers!

-Mike

Mike, I did reread the post and found nothing where anyone said anything negative about Leupold.

Did they?

Do you personally consider it "bashing" that the other guys recommended other scope brands in that thread? 

My question to you Sir, is what prompted you say this site is "anti Leupold" in that post?

You even went on to insinuate that our logic was flawed because of our dislike of Leupold.

I'm not picking on you Mike, but I'm just curious. Your not the first nor the last person to imply that this site dumps on Loopie. 

Heck, "Joe Hunter" even states in that thread that this site is down on Leupold....I don't get it.

I honestly think Leupold has gotten a fair shake around here. They have received their share of criticism and praise.....Am I wrong?? 

Thanks for the responses folks!!

Edited by cheaptrick
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 05:36
I'll be honest, I am anti-leupold.  When I look through one of their scopes I want to puke, I could eat sand for a week and sh*t better glass.  I'm a serious hunter and I need low light performance....you just don't get it with the leupys.  Now, they would definitely work fine for a gun that stays on the range, they are durable and have some models have a lot of moa (as previously stated) so they have their uses, but not for me.  If you like them....by all means get them they will work fine during the hours of the day when there is plenty of light.  You will find some anti-leupy people here like myself, but it is certainly not an anti-leupold site.  You will also find many anti-burris...nikon....too many to list.  All in all it's a fair site in my opinion, just a lot of honest people giving honest answers to questions that they may have had some experience with sometime in the past.  I have learned a lot on here in just a few months, I too used to think Leupold was the best b/c that's what I always heard from people.  Then I actually did some serious comparing and noticed how wrong I was.  Without this site I would never had discovered my beloved Kahles...thanks to many people on here.    
Robert
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 07:35

If you have one of the "big bangers" and need lots of eye relief, the the big L may be for you.  If you want a wider field of view and cleaner glass, then maybe not. The word has gotten flatter and people need to understand that.  The big L has more competition now, and this forum reflects that fact. There are applications where they have advantages.  Being the Cadilac in a world of BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes and a host of other high end companies that were not even around thiry years ago means that you can not rest on your name. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 08:56

This site is not anti-Leupold. It is merely divided into two camps, those that own Leupolds and those that cannot afford Leupolds.

We who own them walk around with a smug look on our faces, and usually take our rifles out of our gunbags with a great flourish. We act  coy and pretend not to hear all the oohs and ahs when lesser non-Leupold mortals catch sight of the rising Golden Ring of the Leupold scope. Leupold owners do not mind that they pay a premium for the Great Name. We know what we have and quality do not come cheap.

Non_leupold owners again are in a class of their own. Some openly covet the Golden Ring and unashamedly grab a rifle adorned with a Leupold and looks through the glass. Suitably dazzled they walk around with that glazed looked dreaming of the day that they can afford one.

The more difficult non-Leupold owner is the closset-envier. He hides his envy behind a wall of technical jargon and talks about value-for-money, quality of glass, dawn or dusk visibility, eye-relief and all that stuff. He then throws all these strange names into the mix like Nikon, Burris, S&B, Zeis, Super Sniper and heaven forbid Bushnell. This is called deflection. They just want to deflect from the Golden Ring.

So in the end this site is united. Those that own a leupold, and those that would like to.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:02

If Leupold used real gold for that ring they might be worth the extra money.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 09:35

Edited by mike650 - September/27/2009 at 21:52
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 10:29
I don't think the site is anti-leo- after all there must be a standard to judge all others.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 10:38

That Dale, is the truth. Leupold is not the best in every catagory, but the whole package is usually very good for most realistic hunting situations.

Roy

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 10:45
Dale and Roy, well said.

Thank you

-Mike
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:14
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

This site is not anti-Leupold. It is merely divided into two camps, those that own Leupolds and those that cannot afford Leupolds.

We who own them walk around with a smug look on our faces, and usually take our rifles out of our gunbags with a great flourish. We act  coy and pretend not to hear all the oohs and ahs when lesser non-Leupold mortals catch sight of the rising Golden Ring of the Leupold scope. Leupold owners do not mind that they pay a premium for the Great Name. We know what we have and quality do not come cheap.

Non_leupold owners again are in a class of their own. Some openly covet the Golden Ring and unashamedly grab a rifle adorned with a Leupold and looks through the glass. Suitably dazzled they walk around with that glazed looked dreaming of the day that they can afford one.

The more difficult non-Leupold owner is the closset-envier. He hides his envy behind a wall of technical jargon and talks about value-for-money, quality of glass, dawn or dusk visibility, eye-relief and all that stuff. He then throws all these strange names into the mix like Nikon, Burris, S&B, Zeis, Super Sniper and heaven forbid Bushnell. This is called deflection. They just want to deflect from the Golden Ring.

So in the end this site is united. Those that own a leupold, and those that would like to.

I hope this was a joke, as many of us including myself could afford putting a Leupold on our rifles, but choose not to for many of the above noted reasons.  In addition, if it is not a joke, it is quite rude and demeaning to state those people who cannot afford to buy a Leupold.  Not everyone is as fortunate as yourself and at one time nor was I.  Alot of people are on a budget and fortunately for them, they can buy a better scope than a Leupold for a lesser price.  Maybe I am over reacting and this was meant to be a joke, but there are alot of people that cannot afford to buy the finest and most expensive equipment made and that does not make them envious of those who own Leupold scope or a lesser hunter or person.  Actually in a way, it makes them a more saavy shopper and they spend their hard earned dollars more wisely and thus end up with that better scope that costs less than the equivalent Leupold, frequently owned by snobbly people.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:16
Don't take it seriously Dolphin, 8shots is just having some good natured fun with this one!

Edited by Dogger
God save the Empire!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:18
Oh, ok.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:29

I did not start this thread to "watch it flame", Sir.

I don't mind you posting Private Messages sent between us (with out my permission) either, because I feel it shows that I'm being honest. (Not something I would have done, but no harm.)

I don't think you were "back doored" in any way. If you feel I owe you an apology, I'm not sure I owe you one, friend.

I want to know WHY this forum gets accused so much for being, in your words, "anti Leupold", Mike. Theres no hidden agenda there, my friend, it's a valid question.

Not trying to put you on the rack, Mike. I'm just asking you for a clarification, which you have sort of provided, and to see from the other members what they have to say.

There's obviously something to the anti Leupold deal you claim happens here, but I don't think it's fair or accurate. 

AGAIN...It's not just you saying it.     

Edited by cheaptrick
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:40
Well Mike, I will add my wicked 2 cents.  Where I live in Eastern NC, just about every grown up hunter with means uses a Leupold scope.  I have grown up with that my whole life.  I was like growing up around everybody loving UNC, which I hate with a passion.  So, when I grew up and could afford my own scopes, I did what people should do, is shop around.  Read reviews, look through the scopes and go to sites like this one.  I now own probably 50 or 60 rifle scopes stretching in price from 50 bucks to 750 bucks, with most in the middle.  I never owned a Leupold until recently.  I used my American Express advantage points that had accumulated, due to my ex-wife's purchases, to get a VX-II 3x9, as I wanted to give Leupold a fair chance, against the other brands, disregarding the price.  That was the reason I had never purchased a Leupold.  Their price scale is way off of the mark.  When I can buy a Sightron SII 3x9 for around 200 dollars with single tube construction, compared to the 2 tube construction of the VX-II at 300 dollars, why should I cough up the extra 100, just because it says Leupold on the scope.  I am finishing a custom rifle in a .243 Winchester and plan to mount the scope on that rifle with Warne bases and QD rings.  Out of the box it appears well made and is optically quite clear.  I really have not had a chance to compare to anything else except a Mueller Tac II, which out classes it optically by a mild to moderate margin and a Trijicon TR-22, which is way out of its league optically.  Regardless, it appears quite good.  Still, getting back to my point, the whole line up is similarly priced, but even gets worse as the price goes up.  I mean, when the price gets to the point you can afford Euro glass, something has to give and that means better optics.  This I know, because all those guys who hunt with the Leupolds that I know, I have looked through about every one of them and shot through quite of few and there was definately nothing special there.  Now when it comes to having first hand knowledge about alot of other scopes, other than what I own, primarily Euro models, my personal knowledge is limited.  Do not get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the Leupolds, but nothing to justify their price.  My personal self esteem is stable enough that I do not need to have the golden ring on the scope mounted to my rifle.  However, the self esteem of many people is sufficiently low, that they seem to have to have that ring and will pay that price, or they will suffer to much grief from their hunting buddies for having a non-Leupold scope on their rifle.  By the way.  They mostly shoot Brownings around here and the same logic applies.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:41
Cheap, he is giving you the around the bend.  Personally, I think it is wrong to post PMs. 

Edited by Dolphin
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:50

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Cheap, he is giving you the around the bend.  Personally, I think it is wrong to post PMs. 

Mike650, in all fairness, is just echoing what others have said here from time to time.

I just want to know what is considered "dumping" on Leupold from Team Leupold.

No problem with posting the PM's either, Mike.        

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:51

HMMMM, Seems there was a song by Cheaptrick called "The Flame"

It's as good a song as this thread.

and posting PMs is supposed to be banned unless prior permission is given.

You're lucky Cheap has had his coffee, Mike.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 12:01
I have to admit I have heard several rather anti leupold posts over the last several years but mostly when it boils down to it the complaint is based on the fact the person just can't justify the expense. I do think that Leupold does get you in the pocketbook a bit much for certain reticles etc. but I kind of understand that they have had expenses developing those balistic reticles and marketing them and they do provide a significant advantage so price/value has a correlation to usefulness. I also understand that a lot of the mid priced Leupold glass really doesnt stack up against the best in the world German glass --- but the practical side is that you can take a scope with less than photo quality glass and kill all the deer you can eat and if you cant it's not the scopes fault it's failure to practice and know what your equipment will do. I have Leupold scopes going on 40 yrs old that still work fine, bring those others back in fourty yrs and see how they held up.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 12:43

I ain't touching this one, Trick!!! 

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 14:03

"Put the 2.5-8 VXIII on the Blackpowder permanently . It is the right magnification range and should be a good match.  Mount the Swaro 3x10x42 on the Weatherby ' I wrote this as a response to a request for advise on purchasing just one scope for 2 guns .

I have to admit that  I am one of the many that find Leupolds to be fine , rugged, but overpriced products. I have a fixed 2X on a Ruger 44 , and  3 VX-III's 2.5x8x36 mounted on an Encore 50 cal Bpowder, Marlin 336 stainless, and a Winchester 70 compact 7mm/08. Each scope seems to fill the optic needs of each weapon just fine. It's just that as the market has evolved over the last decade, Leupold's price point is about 15% too high considering what can be had from Bushnell, Weaver,  Zeiss,Trijicon,and others.

I know lots of "old school" guys that gotta have a Leupold, and be-damn all that don't ( and they are way worse than those the belittle Leupold's pricing) . Mention you own a Bushnell, and holy crap you're going to hell for that one. I've sat and had the opportunity to view similar classed Leupolds and the competition side by side , and it's a close call, but you're gonna pay more. If that's your bag, then go ahead, it's a free market ! Heck, give me a chance to rip on a scope manufacturer, and I think Nikon is the pits since moving their manufacturing base to the Phillipines and definitely needs a lesson in customer service  ( but that's another story).. Leupolds are okay , and I certainly don't feel the ones I have now are a bad choice, and am not looking to replace them. It's just that we have more alternatives than ever before, and the old standard VX series may work okay , but just isn't the only solution or the best value.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic