OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is The OT Anti Leupold???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is The OT Anti Leupold???
    Posted: October/17/2007 at 15:29

It seems to me this forum gets jacked up from time to time for being "Anti Leupold" or down on Leupold.

There's a thread here on the Rifle Scope forum as I write where a gentleman states....

"It baffles me sometimes how anti-Leupold this site is and question some of the advice given because of that."

Mike650

Really, Mike??  I seriously don't believe that, Sir, but maybe I'm wrong.

Not trying to call you out at all Mike, but your response in the other thread just got me thinking and it seems indicative of what some other folks have said in the past.

Is recommending something "besides" Leupold considered "bashing" by those that love Leupold? 

Is our advise tainted because of our hatred for the big L?? (I say this in jest.)

Lastly, has anyone here really laid the wood to Leupold??

(Besides Rancid Coolaid, that is)   His displeasure with Leupold has been duly noted, but as far as the whole forum knocking Leupold, I say no.  

Rather, I have seen some Leupoldites that have made outlandish claims concerning Leupold's quality, reliability, 100% All American built, etc.

What say you??

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 15:47

mike650

Hum, you question the advise given by some just because they don't like Leupold? I am not certain I understand that logic. My chief complaint with Leupold is their price. I guess now my second complaint is the sensitivity of pro-Leupold folks. I really don't see how someone can question another's advise based upon them giving their opinion. If someone feels that the advise given is too harsh, biased or inaccurate, question it by all means.

Edited by Roy Finn
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 15:48
When I first started reading this forum (about a year and a half ago) it definitely seemed there was an anti-Leupold bias.  Since that time most people who challenge Leupold performance have been more careful to point out that Leupold makes a rugged, optically acceptable product with an excellent warranty but at an inflated price based on the company image.  Others have pointed out that there is a price to paid for "Made in America"  products versus cheaper imports.  I think that what I have taken away from all this is not to accept a product based on face value or past performance when there may be as good as or better value alternatives available.  It is also getting more difficult to determine just what Made in America really means if some components are sourced overseas but assembled in the US.
God save the Empire!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 15:56

Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

When I first started reading this forum (about a year and a half ago) it definitely seemed there was an anti-Leupold bias.

Could you be more specific??  

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 15:59

It has nothing to do with being anti-Leupold IMO.  What it does have to do with is this is an objective forum, where people don't get paid to push one product or another.  I still laugh everytime I come across someone mentioning Field & Streams commentary that the VX-7 is the best top-end scope on the market...  Now, people here may try to justify their own purchases, but that is just part of the deal.   Personally, I will always mention what it is that I own if I feel is relevant to the topic from an objectivity perspective.

The fact is Leupold just doesn't offer good value in the market, at least for hunting riflescopes.  As a result, there is no compelling reason to buy them. 

If you like Leupold, go nuts.  Cost is real, value is perceived.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:04
I would have to go back & re-read some of the posts, but it just sticks in my mind that Leupold was often talked about in very negative terms versus say Zeiss, Nikon, Super Sniper etc.  I think a lot of this was due to the fact that I was really a neophyte when it came to optics and had always had the impresssion that Leupold was the pinnacle - this was probably based on  discussions from others who used Leupold, magazine advertising and just general ignorance of other products.  So, it came as a bit of shock to read some of the comments.  My thinking was challenged once exposed to the alternatives - would still consider Leupold but it is no longer the be-all, end-all.
God save the Empire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:11

Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

I would have to go back & re-read some of the posts, but it just sticks in my mind that Leupold was often talked about in very negative terms versus say Zeiss, Nikon, Super Sniper .

I can remember threads where Nikon's, Conquest's and even a few Super Sniper's have gotten a bloody nose or two on this forum, my friend. 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:15
That's only because they suck as well because there not Elites.........grin
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:19

HMMMM?????!!!!!!!!

I love my leupolds, I own two, I just think there are better deals quality for price wise. My Leo aint as good as my IOR, and both ran the same cost wise.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:28
For years it seemed that the measuring stick in optics was the vari-x 3.Now with the elite 4200,Monarch and Gran slam hovering around,the value per dollar has kicked the Leupy to the curb.Why buy a vari-x 3 for $600 when you could pay $400 for a elite 4200,and have a better scope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:39

I think this forum, YOU PEOPLE, are the best of the best and offer the most comprehensive optic advise to new members and old a like. 

I have learned an enormous amount of knowledge from the good people here.

As Rancid would say, "we run a hot range here" and the regulars here won't pull punches on optics and call a spade a spade.

Volumes have been written here about Nikon's 6 month warranty on "refurbs" and their supposed bad customer service.

I say supposed because my Nikon's have been 100% good to go, but I believe the hordes that have complained....  Too many people complained to all be false.

Dale Clifford loathes the Conquest due to plastic turrets, caps and a back wards W/E adjustments. ( I concur on the plastic.)  Others say the Conquest is a "bottom feeder" of the great Zeiss scopes.

Judas Priest on a popsicle stick!!! My all time favorite, US Optics has been cracked on by Technika and Mike McDonald because they bought USO's and were disappointed in both the scopes performance and USO's CS dept, IIRC.

Most all optics have had their "tits in a wringer" on The OT at one time or another.

Not just Leupold.....     

Edited by cheaptrick
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 17:29

I hardly think I can be accused of being anti-Leupold. If anything I have spoken out on numerous occasions explaing the reasons that Leupold scopes are of value and should be the correct choice often due to the availibility of balistic reticles and the superior amount of internal adjustment found in certain models of Leupold scopes. Every scope I have that cost over $400. says Leupold on it and I have several including one currently being shipped from SWFA.

Re: Order Number:   165345

Arthur W:

Your order 165345, was received 10/11/07.

Your order included the following items Totaling $XXXX.

Item        &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;  Qty      Qty      Qty  Expected
 Number    Description        & nbsp;         & nbsp;     Ord.     Shp.     Bck.    By  
---------- ------------------------------ -------- -------- -------- --------
LEU60030   Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T      1.00     1.00     0.00
           30mm Riflescope        &n bsp;     
           Matte, TMR, Side Focus, M1 Tar
           get Knobs, 1/p         &nb sp;     
ARMS40LP   ARMS #40LP Stand Alone Flip Up     1.00     1.00     0.00
             Rear Sight                    
           Matte, Low, .50 MOA         &nb sp;
SV TRADE   Trade                                  1.00     1.00     0.00
           Customer's Trade in Allowance
           Leupold 10X40 Mark 4         

Date Shipped  Via
  10/16/07    UPS - RESIDENTIAL GROUND SERVICE                   
               Tracking Number:        

Thank you for allowing us to serve you.
Remember, RifleScopes.com or call (972)SCOPE-IT, for all your Sporting Optic Needs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 17:53
From my personal standpoint and as a former 35 year Leupold owner, I wish to make it very clear that I do not dislike the Leupold scopes. For the most part, I don`t consider this forum to be "anti Leupold!" .................My main objection and others will agree, is that the Leupold scopes, for what you receive, are simply more expensive! Leupold owners have, do and will continue to pay more, for not only the gold ring, but for the name recognition "Leupold" as well........The same can be said for other products. One good example is tires. You simply pay more for the "NAME" recognition with Michelin or Goodyear as compared with other brands that will wear as long, are as good, but for sell for a cheaper price!.............................There are a few scopes on the market that simply equal and in some cases exceed the Leupold`s quality and they do so for less money! One of the best examples I can think of is the Elite 4200. Not to mention the Rainguard, the 4200 is equal to the VX111 in every possible way, is less money and in the opinion of many, exceeds the VX111 in optic quality!!..............That does not mean I or others hate Leupolds. However, it does mean that smart shoppers have other alternatives from which to choose. For those of you who think that we "bash" or hate Leupolds, it may sometimes appear so, but for the majority, I don`t think it`s true!...............To prove the point and as a little test here, I want to address all you diehard Leupold owners with this question,,,,,Exactly how does the VX111 exceed the quality of the 4200 or a Monarch? In optics? In construction? In durability? Please be specific with facts! For example; it seems to me that if one is going to pay $399 for a 3X9 VX111 as compared to $259 to $298 for a 3X9 Elite 4200, the Leupold IMO, should at least, have a porportional increase (25% to 35%) in quality improvements over the 4200 to justify the price increase! What exactly are those improvements???? In reality, the VX111`s are in no way 25% to 35% better than the 4200`s or the Monarchs....................NO! We don`t hate Leupolds on this site! But we can more than justify why we prefer other alternatives!!! However on the flip side, IMO, it would be more difficult for you diehard Leupold owners to justify to many of us why we should buy the Leupolds........... Over the years many shooters and hunters automatically assume that the Leupolds are the scopes to buy or the "go to" scopes! That comes from marketing, opinions handed down from generation to generation and personal opinion. Many diehards will never consider anything else. In the meantime, the market has drastically changed and is continually changing as other alternatives become more and more popular. The 4200`s and Monarchs are perhaps the two best examples of those alternatives!..................Personally, I`m not interested in the Leupold endorsements by any gun writer/author, shooting club, or military team. To sum things up and simply stated; if or when Leupold can produce a scope for about the same money, matching the quality alternatives, when in the market again, I will give the Leupold some due diligence!!!!...........Though I do wish my 4200 had that gold ring!!! That,,,is good looking!!!.......................

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 18:04

Ufriend is anything but a Loopie basher.

Wes, you have recommended more Leupolds than any one on this forum, except maybe Dale Clifford.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 19:05

I currently own three 1.75-6X32 Vari-X IIIs, my all time favorite Leupold scope, and a 6.5-20X40 VX-III, which I think is a great varmint hunting scope.  I don't plan to get rid of either, as both serve their intended purpose very well.  I have owned several others over the years, but have since sold or traded them for various reasons.

On the subject of Leupold, I look at it this way... while it isn't by any means my favorite brand of scope, and in many cases I do believe they don't offer the best price:performance ratio, I do think they have their niche in certain applications.

For example, if you want an extremely light (less than 12 oz.), extremely compact scope of decent quality for a super light mountain rifle and you don't want to pay the price for a Swaro 3-9X36 AV, Leupold has a couple good options.

If you have a rifle with a quarter rib, or rear iron sight mounted close to the receiver and need to limit overall scope length so the objective bell will clear without going to super high mounts, yet you want more magnification than the typical 20mm objective scope offers, Leupy has several compact scopes that will work without also presenting eye relief problems.

Want a scope with, say, a German # 1 reticle and don't want to pay $1000+ for a scope that has it?  Leupy can fix you up.

How about a fixed 40X or 45X scope specifically for benchrest shooting?  I'm not aware of anyone else besides Leupy who makes a fixed competition scope above 36X.

For whatever reason, most scope manufacturers no longer offer a 50 yd/meter parallax adjusted rimfire scope anymore.  Leupy does.  Most of those that are available are el cheapo scopes.

For small varmint shooting, you could do much worse than the VXIII 30mm tube LR models with side focus and Varmint Hunters reticle.  They are very useful for PD shooting -- the VH reticle works great for that application.  Until you break the $1000 barrier, there simply aren't many purpose-built scopes at a competitive price that are better suited to that purpose, and believe me, among the scopes owned by my shooting buddies and me, I've tried a huge selection of various makes and models.

When you factor in all the different finishes, reticles, sizes, and configurations, there simply isn't another scope manufacturer that offers more options than Leupold.  They may not have the best scope at the best price within a given category, but by golly, they have something to offer for every shooting endeavor you can dream up.  That is their biggest strength, and maybe at the same time, one of their biggest weaknesses.

One thing's for certain -- their warranty and CS is definitely not one of their weaknesses.  You can thank Leupy for all the other scope manufacturers who offer lifetime warranties.

I'm in no way a cheerleader for Leupold, as I have some of the same criticisms as others for some of their products.  But, I do believe it's a mistake to say that in every application there are better alternatives available for less money, when in some cases, as in the examples above, there are few to no other alternatives.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 19:46

I'm not "anti-leupold" but I do think they are way over priced for what you get.

I'm not just talking out of the blue. As I type this I have a Vari XIII sitting on top of a Rem 7400 30.06. I hunted with that gun for years & always had to leave my stands before the big deer really moved unless it was the rut.

I paid almost 600$ for that scope including rings & bases. 15 minuts past official sunset its like looking into a black hole. I know its a lot of Leupold die hards & guys loyal to the scope, I was to after moving up from a Simmons to a Leupold but since I've bought 3 or 4 Zeiss scopes & a Kahles scope, I'll never buy another Leupold again in my life.

For roughly the same money a 3-9x50 Conquest makes my Leupold pretty irrelevant during those last minutes of shooting light.

Again I'm not "anti-Leupold", they are nice scopes but they are just way overpriced.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 19:57
Ted.............You are correct! Every buyer must evaluate their own needs and go with the best option available. True! Leupy does offer many options, many more than others. No disagreement there from me in that dept........My prediction for the future, is that others will one day offer as many options as the Leupolds do, in finishes, in recticles, in variable choices and so on! They too, will do everything possible to increase their market share. If you or I were running Bushnell, Nikon or any other competetor, that`s exactly what we would do!.......As for the warranty? I think that if Leupold had not started their lifetime warranty, others would have started to offer a lifetime warranty sooner or later. What Leupold did though, was to set the precedant for future lifetime warranties.............However, assuming a person`s needs fall in line, variables, reticles, finishes, etc. with the current offerings of 4200`s available, or the current line of Monarchs available? Then, if that`s the case, for the money, the VX111`s are not only overpriced, they are more than matched in quality as well...............
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 20:25

I don't have anything against them either. I think Leupold's are great scopes. I used them in the service and never had any bad luck with them at all. I am not convinced they are the best value for the dollar however. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 21:12

Originally posted by Graysteel Graysteel wrote:

I don't have anything against them either. I think Leupold's are great scopes. I used them in the service and never had any bad luck with them at all. I am not convinced they are the best value for the dollar however. 

i agree with you 100%

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 03:05
I think somebody needs to read my entire post again not just the Leupold comment. Smile

New guy - old question...

Cheers!

-Mike

Edited by mike650 - September/27/2009 at 21:58
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic