OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Scopes, What to get

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumijagr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Scopes, What to get
    Posted: October/17/2007 at 00:58

Ok I'm new to forum. . .hi everybody . . I want a good Scope for my AR-15  .. a good reliable scope in the cheap money range hopefully under $250.00 if there's such an animal ..also suggestion's on Power    2.7-8 x40 or what??. . .I don't know my favorite range . . may be  100 -300 yards?? 

just want to get something fun to plink with that the rectile won't break etc.. . . I don't like any of the illuminated type scopes. .

thanks for the help

gumijagr@msn.com

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 10:58
Get a 3x9x40  scope and go with a name brand like a  Bushnell 3200 , Burris Fullfield or  Weaver V series. All will be in  your budget and provide great service.
gumijagr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumijagr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 16:30
Thanks Martin that will help
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 20:39

I second the 3-9x Bushnell 3200 for general use.
gumijagr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumijagr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 10:07
Thanks I like that one also ,
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 11:19
849400 Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V3 Series Rifle Scope                                                                             Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V3 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
SS10X42 Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                     Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now
6539 Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope                                                                                  Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $288.95
More Info... Buy Now
423944M Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                  Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $259.95
More Info... Buy Now

I think these represent the best glass/value at or near your price range. Depending on how you use the AR-15 say entry tactical the V3 would be best or if tactical longer range the Super Sniper is the best or if hunting the variable in the 3-9 or

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:21
The 3200 is a bit long for the AR.  I would look at a more compact scope.  I am not sure if Burris compacts would work for the AR, but they are great scopes.
gumijagr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumijagr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:32
Good thinking . . I don't want too long of a scope  wish I could afford the ACOG 4-32
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 08:47

Originally posted by bdee bdee wrote:

The 3200 is a bit long for the AR.  I would look at a more compact scope.  I am not sure if Burris compacts would work for the AR, but they are great scopes.

My experience with Burris compacts is that they fail to be of any value over about 6x and while they work at the low end of the power range the eye relief is so critical as to render them undesirable at the high end of the power range. The only one that I can recommend is the fixed 1x which is quite durable and useful with unlimited eye relief. My noted distrust - dislike of Burris optics is the result of using Burris optics under field conditions  specifically these two models

201331 Burris 3-9x32 Short Mag Rifle Scope                                                                                     Burris 3-9x32 Short Mag Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $274.95
More Info...  

200309 Burris 3-12x32 Handgun Scope                                                                                            Burris 3-12x32 Handgun Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $345.95
More Info...  

I have had far less than satisfactory service from Burris in regard to these optics.  I am pleased to say that I no longer own either of these. I still own and can highly recommend the 1x model

200424 Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope                                                                                         Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $185.95
More Info... Buy Now

and I suspect the fixed 4x would also be good and of similar usefulness to the AACOG but without illumination and trajectory comp.

201311 Burris 4x20 Short Mag Rifle Scope                                                                                       Burris 4x20 Short Mag Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $194.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gumijagr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumijagr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 23:18
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic