OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Camera filter on rifle scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote somequestions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camera filter on rifle scope?
    Posted: October/16/2007 at 14:43
I used to be into photograghy, and it was standard practice to put a "1A" filter or UV filter on your camera lens to protect the coated lens.

I shoot in tactical rifle matches and unfortunately end up next to someone with a compensator which blows dust in your face and the scope. I was considering trying to find a 1A or UV filter to put on my Nikon 40mm riflescope.

Any experience or opinions on this?

Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 20:15

Sounds like a good idea to me Leupold has some filters but they are more of an amber color rather than the clear that you get from UV, film being different from the human eye as far as sensitivity to UV.

LEU57734 Leupold 40mm Alumina Intensifier                                                                                        Leupold 40mm Alumina Intensifier
  • Warning will only fit 2004 and newer Leupold scopes
  • Yellow Lens Cover
SWFA: $29.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 20:17

I think I've heard worse ideas. Anybody doing that? It seems to me that I've seen some  Leupold screw -in lens covers, ARD's etc. advertised recently , but I don't know if their line includes UV filters.

Edited to add: beat to the punch by Urimaginaryfrnd!

Edited again to add: by two freakin' minutes!!

Edited by RONK
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 20:24
LEU57735 Leupold 40mm Alumina Intensifier Kit                                                                                    Leupold 40mm Alumina Intensifier Kit
  • Lens Covers
SWFA: $99.95
More Info... Buy Now
LEU59020 Leupold 40mm Alumina RainCote Kit                                                                                       Leupold 40mm Alumina RainCote Kit
  • Clear Lens Cover
SWFA: $79.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 00:21

I would NEVER place any filter that close to the end of the scope unless I have a sunshield in front of it.

That filter will cause more problems that it will solve.

I am using filters but on the ocular end instead.

I don't know if there is any risk of POI problems with front mounted filters, there can't be such rear mounted.

But the risk of getting a filter with a low prismatic effect giving POI change is maybe very low.

Regards Technika

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 07:00

I'm not an optics expert, but I'm pretty sure that if the filter is of quality glass and true, and is aligned properly it would make no difference.

I think koshkin could answer this better than any one, what's your thoughts there ILya? 

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 07:38

leos aluminas work just fine, use a full set of 40 mm and a set of 50'mm on leo and (the 50 fit) nightforces. the filter not only protects the front lens, it does away with the need for the protection given by a sunshide as to both light and physical damage. the most useful is the "yellow" which builds constrast on overcast and cloudy days, and "defines" the reticle better against the constrast. the blue acts as a uv filter on very sunny days and takes the glare out of those into the sun 500 yd dog shots and long range steel targets. the red and orange make the red coats of marmots and deer "pop" of backround timber, and a combination of the blue and red causes a "solarization" effect that makes rock chucks "shiney" when they are trying to hide in the grass.

I'm suprized some of the answers you received in snipershide were so much difference than here.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 11:04
Thanks Dale that's good to know. I wonder why other manufacturers aren't doing the same ?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 17:09

should never had said that

because

they don't have BAS build into their rangefinders

offer a full line of tactical scopes that you can get right now instead of well sometime this year

offer a complete line of reticle change outs

3 day turn around on broken stuff

offer a scope replacement on a big hunt with a vx7

have the best catalogs on the market

have real metal turrets

offer a complete line of bases and rings

have the best pistol scopes

probably the widest range of choices in variable ranges and types

ok ok

yea check the alumina out pretty good, having used camera filters extensively in the good old analog days, am currently using the filters as a "common backround noise" for mk4's and NF using the different illuminated reticles against trees and shrubs-- no conclusions yet.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 21:59

On a camera when yellow or UV filter is used there is still used a sunshade.

The problem with the sun is when the sun hits the glass directly, that gives a greyish poor picture.

So if front mounted filter is used, the sunshade should still make a good differance in picture quality.

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu
somequestions View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote somequestions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 22:51
Thanks for the info all.

Yeah Dale, That's why I asked here too. Cant always rely on a single source for good info. Wanted to hear other opinions.

I'll have to find out if the leo will fit a nikon thread.  I plan on placing it on the obj lens and use a sunshade on top of it.
(scope-filter-shade) or (scope-filter-ard-shade if I ever shoot a match with a stalk)

Technika-  I really doubt there would be any POI issues with it.  Naturally I'd just have to try it out and see....  Consider that professional series camera lenses make Leo MKIV, S&B, and even US optics look like bargain bin prices, and clarity/resolution is much more important, light gathering / transmission even has a standard rating system every lens is marked with (F stop) and most every pro photogragher adds a 1A or UV filter on their $4K+ lenses to protect it from dust/scratches or even damage from over cleaning, I would imagine it would be just fine in front of a riflescope.

Regards,
SQ
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 23:55

There is probably not any POI problems with it.

But....

Many manufacturers of optics generally states "never place something forward of the Scope, but anything behind of it"

Simrad is making a fairly good Night vision module to be mounted in front/top of the scope and it's well known that this is leading to POI problems, even though the item is costing something like 10 ea leupold scopes...........

Same thing with Aimpoint, they previously made a magnifier that should be mounted in the front of the aimpoint, but nowadays they mount  one rear of the aimpoint as the opposite leeds to POI problems.

Just a small amount of prism effect will change the POI, and though there is so little glass and only one element in a filter I belive it's fine, but I am not 100% on it.

I am using UV filters on my camera lenses, and I would not consider using the lenses without the filters, but on the camera there is no such thing as POI problems.

Regards Technika

somequestions View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote somequestions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 00:35
Good info- thanks. I never heard of the issues with the simrad and aimpoints.

I can see L.E. snipers using a polarizer filter to see through glass reflection behind the lens to eliminate this potential problem, but my issue is dirt sprayed in the obj lens by another competitors muzzlebreak. A  few months ago was the worst I've ever experienced... It was like someone literally kicking dirt straight in my face and in my scope.  I was *PISSED*!!! It was a rapid fire exercise- 10 shots in 1 min on fairly easy targets, and I only got 6 shots out because I was blinking so much trying to clear the dirt out of my eyes. I should have gotten all 10 out, and all hits as well. My obj lens was coated in dust- I was concerned about protecting the coated lens since it was a "sandblasting" effect.

For weeks after that I kept telling myself I'm cutting my 308 26" barrel down to 14 inches with a 2" pinned side blasting brake to get even!

I wouldnt actually do that- It's just the "passive aggressive" in me.... Although I have decided when I burn out this barrel I'll go to maybe a 20 or 22 in tube to loose some excess weight.  My rifle is just too heavy for unsupported positional shooting. Dropping front end barrel weight will allow me to lighten my stock as well, which will significantly reduce total rifle weight... and I usually only shoot out to 600yds, so a 20 or 22 should work just fine.

Thanks again for the insight.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 00:50

As long as the additional optical devices stays on at the same place there can't be any POI problems.

So if there by any chance is such problems when the filter is screwed on and off, it's quite simple solved by not screwing it off without sigthing the gun in again.

Otherwise it seems like you would solve a lot of your problems by using sunshade or ARD, espesially the military version with longer ARD than the standard civilitan version.

Regards Technika

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 10:53

never had a problem with needing to resight on changing the filters. had two cases of out of date coke --9" target 500 yds. yesterday, 6.5x20 mk4 bushy varmiter, 95% kill ratio. (really like the TMR) reticle.

using ard's are like stopping down at least 2 f/stops don't do it unless you need the depth of field.

any similarity between camera lens and riflescopes is purely coincidental.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic