OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell xlp problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell xlp problem
    Posted: October/16/2007 at 11:55
I finally got one.  I put it on an sks.
The brightness works, Very easy to sight in.

However, this is my first red dot scope.
I find that the ring and dot are not very focused.  I really have to squint to get the ring to tighten up

Is this something I am not doing, or is this something I am going to have to take up with Bushnell?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 12:15

That question about Bushnell’s or Eotech reticle is common. What people usually see on-line or in advertisements are graphic representations of the reticle. What you are seeing is likely normal. The outer circle of the reticle is made up of hundreds of pixels (small dots that form together to make a larger image). This pixilation is key to being able to see the hologram properly, and is inherent in the technology. You should see the center dot as a single MOA.

A couple things might help make the image appear more distinct:

• If you see the image blurry, fuzzy, distorted, having a double image, or having a 'starburst' effect, this usually means the brightness intensity level is up too high for the lighting conditions you're using it in. Dim down the brightness until the reticle is slightly see-through. The outer circle is designed as your reference to center, and acts similar to a ghost ring.
  • The reticle is projected out to your target plane. If you pick up a target that is very close (like a photo on the wall), your eyes might not focus properly on the image. Pick up sight pictures 25 to 30 yards out until you become accustomed to the sight. Try them at different eye reliefs, and certainly try these things once the sight is mounted on a weapon.
  • If you require corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) to see things clearly at a distance, you will need them to see the reticle clearly. Remember, the reticle is actually projected out to your target plane, so you will see it like anything else at that distance. Also, if you have astigmatism or use bifocals, you may see the image less distinctly.
  • Use the sight outdoors, and if possible at the range. Actually acquiring targets with the sight will help your eyes focus properly on the reticle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 12:48

want to add

eo's, for me a least, work best somewhat better away from the shooters head, toward the middle of the rail (if you'ree using one), and even better in the "scout" position where the pixilation is hardley observable as the eye "averages" the information (connects the dots).

on the dots, if your squinting it means you are "stopping" down your eye (like the lens on a camera) because the image is to bright. in either case the led or the eo. such attention to the reticle suggests to me, your mind is spending too much time on the reticle, taking it to the target, rather than imposing the, sight picture back to the reticle.

almost forgot-- are you keeping both eyes open???

Edited by Dale Clifford
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 13:14
Thanks for the advice, I 'll take it out to the range on Saturday. (My neighbors don't like when I point the rifle out of my window, LOL)

I'll do my best on keeping both eyes open, doesn't come naturally though.

I take it that I should  focus on the target and not on the dot, yes?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 16:37

putting the target image and reticle in the same plane is the biggest single advantage of optical sights, it is not necessary to move the aiming eye back to the front site, as when using iron sights, it is best to keep both eyes open regardless of the type  of scope using it allows the brain to average the light source better

watch the target and try to move the reticle thru the target and "call the shot" (having the shot break and predicting where it will go before it goes off.)

bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:16
Thanks for the info, it is now working great and I am very impressed with the results. 

1. Very easy to sight in.
2. The 1MOA dot is small enough to be useful.
3. Works very well on an sks. (It's compact enough)
4. After getting used to it, it is a very quick sight picture. (Still have the tendency to close my left eye, but it's ok with or without.)

Only time will tell on how rugged it is, but I am not to rough on my stuff anyways.  Anybody know how well it holds up?
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 15:47
The sight is actually made by EOTech, I have heard they do surprisingly well. (the electronics are the same) However, they are a bit less physically durable than the military ones. That is... don't use your rifle to drive your tent stakes. 
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:28
LOL I would probably steal the dog's NcStar for that!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 16:33

Originally posted by Graysteel Graysteel wrote:

The sight is actually made by EOTech, I have heard they do surprisingly well. (the electronics are the same) However, they are a bit less physically durable than the military ones. That is... don't use your rifle to drive your tent stakes. 

The XLP versions are not made by EOTech.  Originally Bushnell sourced their Holosight units from EOTech with a written agreement that EOTech could only market their product direct to law enforcement and military (hence the markings on all EOTechs).  Bushnell and EOTech had a falling out and the new XLP version is Bushnells own design, soon it will be the only version Bushnell pushes.

Edited by Chris Farris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic