OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Questions on Kahles Scopes and the 4A Ret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on Kahles Scopes and the 4A Ret
    Posted: October/15/2007 at 21:01

I am looking at some Kahles scopes on the sample list and have researched quite a bit on here already.  I like the looks of the 3-9X42 AH and the one I'm looking at has the 4A reticle...but I also am looking at the 3-9X42 CL with Plex reticle.  I have seen some positive comments on the 4A reticle, but would like to hear more about them and their applications.  This scope will be going on a deer rifle.  Also how much better is the CL?  The main reason I'm leaning toward the AH is because I prefer the cleaner look without the side focus like the CL has.  On the other hand, if the CL is a lot better I could live with it.  Also, Optically speaking how would the AH compare with a Ziess Conquest?

Thanks

Edited by cletus85
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 21:15
Cletus85 -

I own both the Kahles AH and Kahles CL.  My AH has a TDS recticle and the CL has the 4a.  The 4a recticle is great for deer hunting because the three posts are a bit heavier than the traditional duplex posts and the lack of a top post really makes you feel like you can see a lot more of your target.  The CL is my first scope with a 4a and I can tell you I will never again hunt big game with a duplex.

Now, onto the differences between the AH and the CL.  In a nutshell, they are small.  I think my CL does a little better in lowlight and also gives just a little more resolution and contrast.  I may be biased, but I think the CL is the top 1" scope on the market. 

The AH is very good and will outperform a Zeiss Conquest, although the differences are again minor.  I would say that the differences between the CL and the AH are greater than those from an AH to a Conquest.

The AH at $450 and CL at $550 are excellent buys off the Samplelist.  You should get one and never look back.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
cletus85 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 21:34
Thanks for the reply and insight.  It's not so much that the $100 between AH and CL is that big of a deal it's more a matter of making sure I'll be happy.  If the AH is even better than the Conquest I should be happy with an AH.  Honestly I want both, but that's a little much to spend right now as I just bought a couple of other "nicer" scopes. 
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 07:53
Great advice from ND2000.  The CL is easily better than a conquest, I have a buddy who has one and the CL is hands down better.  The 4a reticle is great, I have that reticle in both my CL and C, it is easy to see in low light.  Good luck.
Robert
cletus85 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 22:46

Well I'm still undecided, maybe I'll just get both

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 07:30

Cletus85 -

Other than a Swaro Z6 and a Zeiss Diavari, I'm not sure there is anything nicer than the CL and C from Kahles.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
cletus85 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2007 at 22:59

Well, I ordered the CL this morning.  Thanks for the insight and replies and for the forum in general.  Even though I haven't posted much, I've done a ton of research on here that has literally opened my eyes to better optics and dispelled some misconceptions that even I (a seasoned shooter and hunter) have held.  I now own a Swaro AV 3-10X42, a Zeiss Conquest 3-9, a couple of Leupolds, a Nikon and I have the Kahles CL on the way.  Right now, I think the Zeiss Conquest is hard to beat for the money in the 3-9 range.   I love my Swaro, but I bought it for quite a bit under retail, and I'm not sure I'd buy another at regular price.  If I like the Kahles as much as I think I will, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of Leupolds ended up being sold off to buy more Kahles scopes and the good part is I have a guy wanting one of them and is willing to give dang near what I gave for it.  Nothing against Leupold, but I'm finding that there are things I like better... in particular it seems almost every Leupold scope I have ever owned is a little fuzzy on the outer edges to my eyes. I just lived with it after all they are supposed to be one of the best....funny thing is none of my other scope are like that, not even my Nikon

Lobber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 07:27

I really think you'll like the CL. I picked up one of those off the sample list a few weeks ago, same as what you're getting. I've always been a Leupy and Nikon fan but after spending some time behind this Kahles, never again (at least not at these prices)

P.S. I looked at the Conquest also before getting the CL. Since you already have a Swaro and Conquest, when you receive the Kahles give all three a good side-by-side comparison than come back and post up what you think. I'd be intersted in hearing it.

Edited by Lobber
Hey guys watch this, see that Prairie Dog waaay out there?
cletus85 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 11:17

Lobber, 

I'll let you know what I think once it arrives, but I'm sure I'll like it...I'm hoping it comes today or tommorrow as I'm off of work until next Wed. and That should give me some time to compare them at the range.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic