OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wyoming Pronghorn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wyoming Pronghorn
    Posted: October/15/2007 at 17:12

Pronghorns are probably the most misunderstood and interesting big game animal in N. America.

They are not antelope, not even related to antelope and they are not goats either. Pronghorn are their own species. Their speed (60 mph) is surpassed only by the cheetah. They posses both horns and antlers by definition because they shed the sheath made of hair off their horns yearly. They have hollow hair for insulation and vision that spans 320 degrees and is the equivalent of an 8x pair of binoculars, so to say they see you before you see them is an understatement.

This hunt took place in Wyoming, where Pronghorn out number humans. It was October 1, the opening day and we saw hundreds of Pronghorns the first day and they were in prime rut. We saw several bucks mount does and just about every buck had a small heirum. The first day you can get relatively close to them but as soon as the shooting starts they get extremely spooky (can't blame them). Many of them must posses maps that show them were no hunting is allowed because they sure get to these areas quick and then rub it in your face.

We spotted this buck on the very back side of the 10,000 acre ranch we were hunting. It was a difficult spot to get to but the spot was known to hold a few mature bucks in the past. He was with a small group of does, working them hard, like a cutting horse. They spotted us the second we crested the hill and split, they went under a fence onto the neighbors and in a matter of seconds put half a mile on us. We just sat still and waited to see what they would do and while trying to get to a better position we lost them. A few minutes later he magically appeared at the fence line and was coming back to our property all alone. The cover would not allow us to get any closer so I set up to shoot and got a range from my partner... 325 yards. The Ballistic Plex reticle not only takes the guess work out of where to hold, it gives you the confidence you need to even attempt a long shot. If I would have been using a standard plex, we would have had to formulate a different game plan. I held, squeezed off the shot and he took off in a large circle. I had already chambered another and was getting on him again when my partner said, "he's hit"...."he's down". I held on him for another 30 seconds and he did not move.

Beautiful and unique animal!

Pronghorns are the most difficult animal to judge for trophy status, even seasoned veterans have a tough time picking trophy animals from average animals. I used Burris Signature Select binoculars and felt like I was cheating.

I used:

Edited by Chris Farris
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 17:29

Well done!!

What rifle and caliber?

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 17:43

Rifles Inc. / Remington 700 in 6.5 STW.

I need to sell the rest of my rifles because they are neglected.  I am so comfortable and familar with this particular rifle that I feel like I am cheating when I use anything else.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 18:17

That is a handsome buck, Chris. Congratulations!  Pronhorns are one of the more interesting critters to hunt

and a shoulder mount makes a beautiful trophy. The meat seems like it can go either way, though.The ones

taken on wheat and alfalfa land taste better than sage country kills, IMHO.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 19:57
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

That is a handsome buck, Chris. Congratulations!  Pronhorns are one of the more interesting critters to hunt

and a shoulder mount makes a beautiful trophy. The meat seems like it can go either way, though.The ones

taken on wheat and alfalfa land taste better than sage country kills, IMHO.

plus 1 on the food they eat, i was born and raised in wyoming and i can tell you from experience that antelope that eat nothing but sage taste like sage, so then your left with a big pile of meat to turn into jerky.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 05:11
Well done, Chris. Allways nice when it comes together!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 07:22
SWEET!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 07:31

Awsome.

Nice Job

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 18:22
Nice job, Chris!  I don't know anything about judging horns on a pronghorn, but compared to other bucks I've seen while in pronghorn country, that looks like a pretty nice one!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 21:00
which ones Chris??
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 21:07
left dale
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 21:34
its a joke
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 05:55
It seems as though an antelope can run just a little bit faster...than WHATEVER YOU'RE DRIVING! ( we assume you won't have a Lamborghini out on some dirt road.....). Stare   --Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic