OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SII VS Monarch VS Elite 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsesandhorns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SII VS Monarch VS Elite 4200
    Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:37
Ok guys I'm looking for a scope to put on my H&R 444 for the primitive whitetail season in Mississippi. I've narrowed the field down to three scopes. The Sightron SII 3-9x42, Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 and the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40. I can buy all three of these for around $250 or less. With which scope will I get the most bang for the buck?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:43
IMO, the most bang for the buck is the 4200, although, any of those three are very good choices.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 15:03

Easy one- the Bushnell 4200  ( I would go with the 1.5-6 as it's appropriate for caliber)---hands down ..

2nd- Sightron and lastly the Nikon

Edited by martin3175
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 15:16

I can't comment on the Sightron but between the Monarch and the 4200, I'd give a slight edge to the 4200.   Just wondering if it is going on a H&R 444 I am assuming here that its a 444 Marlin?  If that's the case,  great round with a pretty good punch for up close work. For calibers such as 444, 45/70 and 450 Marlin I would look at lower powered scopes like the 1.5-4x or a 2-7x. Cartridges such as those are for close range and while a 3-9 will work fine at the lowest setting IMHO a lower power would be a better choice since your not going to be doing long range shooting and some of the lower power scopes have smaller bells (objectives) so you won't have a full size scope mounted on a gun, which can change the "feel" from a handi brush rifle to make it feel more "full size".

Happy Shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:28
And!!!!......To add an encore, "Big Squeeze" says the Elite 4200 as well.......Recoil tested 10,000 rounds on a 375H&H for durability. One piece combo aluminum/titanium alloy tube. Very easy to zero with audible clicks, set your zero then forget about it. Outstanding clarity and resolution and great in low light. The Rainguard, one of the best features on the 4200, will insure that you will never lose a shot in ANY weather condition. It is the best scope on the market for the bucks!!.......And, the best reason for you to own one is because,,,,I own one!!!! LOL! The 3X9 that is!!!........ Big Squeeze ain`t no dummy!!     
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:33

Watch the eye relief on that 4200......It's been reported that.....Oh no!!! 

Standing by for Big Squeeze and Roy's fire mission........Take cover...Run for your lives!!! 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:39

What happens with too short of an eye relief....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:40

"Call cyclops!!!"

ROTFLMOA!!!! 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:47

Personally, with that rifle and it's ballistic capabilities, I would choose:

SII156X42 Sightron 1.5-6x42 SII Riflescope                                                                                        Sightron 1.5-6x42 SII Riflescope
  • Satin Black
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $199.95
More Info... Buy Now

Better yet, because of the smaller objective and larger FOV:

SIIB125520 New Sightron 1.25-5x20 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                           New Sightron 1.25-5x20 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • Satin Black
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $335.95
More Info... Buy Now

Something less expensive, but equivalent to a Burris FFII, with a great FOV:

89718 Pentax 1.75-5x20 Gameseeker Rifle Scope                                                                                 Pentax 1.75-5x20 Gameseeker Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Precision Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $98.95
More Info... Buy Now

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:51
I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE 4200 EYE RELIEF!!!!!!     Cute bomb shelter!!! I won`t need it! No scope whacking scars on my face!!!........Though a hospital with some cute nurses might do the trick!! I just may crawl through a scope for that!          
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 19:06
I have various  4200 Elites mounted on a 338 win mag, two  300 Weatherbys ,300 Ultramag  and a 45/70 without a single half moon scar to show for it ! flaggen05

Edited by martin3175

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 19:33

All 3 scopes would serve you well.

Contrary to what "Cult 4200" would tell you,   I prefer the Nikon Monarch because Nikon's have always treated me right.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 00:01
Trickster, sounds like your coming down with a case of Elite Envy..........grin
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 00:28
Don`t forget!!! I`ve got a 2.5x8 UCC EER Nikon Monarch scout scope too!!!!!...........No scouts available in the 4200! Dammit!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 06:47

If you're gonna only shoot periodically, I'd opt for the longer eye relief, chiefly because unless you shoot often your shooting posture may change.

THAT'S BAD MOJO, if you're shooting high recoil, short eye relief.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic