OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red Dot Scope ?’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Dot Scope ?’s
    Posted: October/15/2007 at 11:37

I am putting together an Encore for a spring bear hunt. I started with a stainless receiver and added pro-hunter stocks. I installed a  Bellm 1X hinge pin www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=1 and hammer spring.

As a note, for anyone with an Encore, I highly recommend these upgrades. The 1X hinge pin solved a small  accuracy inconsistency issue I was having with my  50 cal blackpowder Encore . It simply prevents any "wobbling" of the frame to barrel fit.

I decided to go with the 20 inch katahdin 45/70 pro-hunter stainless barrel .My load of choice is Buffalo Bore's 350 gr fodder at around 2100 fps . I've used this round out of my Marlin 1895SS on bear before and it is amazing. Here's my conundrum -- On my previous bear hunt, my scope's cross hairs  ( 4200 Elite 1.5-6) were a bit tough to make out on the bear's dark hide. I've considered the Firefly version, but  my father-in-law's admiration of his red dot turkey set up has led me to consider  the same for my new  bear rig. I have some 20+ riflescopes, but no experience with the red dot variety. The 2X Truglo caught my eye with the available selection of cross hairs, illumination colors, and I like the 2X power. Budget wise I would like to keep it under $350 or so . In a nutshell, what do ya'll think ??  Anyone used a similar  Truglo before ??  thanks

Beer

Edited by martin3175
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:42

For $350 you can get either a EOtech or a Aimpoint. Both are very nice sights. I don't know much about Truglo.

If you want to go less pricey I would check out Bushnell. They offer both holosights (also made be EOtech) and red dots in their Trophy line.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 16:48

Originally posted by Graysteel Graysteel wrote:

For $350 you can get either a EOtech or a Aimpoint. Both are very nice sights. I don't know much about Truglo.

If you want to go less pricey I would check out Bushnell. They offer both holosights (also made be EOtech) and red dots in their Trophy line.

Egg-cellent advise!! 

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 18:58

I checked a few reviews elsewhere, and for Truglo the reviews haven't  been that stellar,,, May go with Aimpoint if I can't find another that has a cross hair reticle and not just a dot.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 21:43
I own both (EOTech and Aimpoint) and for your purposes, I'd say Aimpoint.

The Eotech is faster on target acquisition but isn't, in general, as precise.  I like the finer dot on the Aimpoint of precision work.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 09:48

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that EOtech may actually have a more fine (1 MOA) center aiming dot and the Aimpoint is actually larger 2 or 4 MOA?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 12:03
The dot might be smaller (haven't checked the specs) but the holographic nature of the EoTech gives a dot that is grainy and less well defined.  The Aimpoint has a solid, well-defined dot.

As I said, both would work.  It is entirely possible to zero the EoTech reticule for longer-range use; however, the dot doesn't stand out as well and the target is somewhat obscured by the larger reticule portion.  The Aimpoint is simple and precise.  I am sure someone will disagree with me, but I'm OK with that.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 12:22
the eo has a pixelated projected image rather than a reflected LED and some can be smooth on one side and "dotty" on the other and all combinations in between, just as some acogs are bluring on the right side and some are not. all red dots have some degree of failure in bright sun-lighnt and red brick walls. (in case your hunting them). I highly recommend the trophy busnell multiple recticle for about $100, have used on an ak47 for a couple of years, (several 1000 rds)  and the fact that it didn't get hammered, the reticle rotation sets are still crisp, and the fun factor is still high, and the green reticle works very well against the reds and yellows of autumn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 14:57
 I decided to go with a Trijicon 1.25-4 Accupoint. I think it combines the best of a red dot sight's quick target acquisition  and the ability to vary magnification as with a traditional scope. Who needs a budget anyway ?         

Edited by martin3175
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 16:18

Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

I decided to go with a Trijicon 1.25-4 Accupoint.

I'm most interested in your impressions of the Accupoint. I know Dolphin and Ufriend like them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 17:44
  Can do--should have the barrel in about a week...and I suppose the scope should arrive shortly afterwards..I'll give it a work out and get back to the forum..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic