OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Project 300 wsm Complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project 300 wsm Complete
    Posted: October/13/2007 at 21:21

I had an emergency elk hunt trip come up.  We leave in 1 week.  I finished the setup.  Here it is.  I have not shot yet but will so this week prior to leaving.  Shooting Federal 180 grain Triple shock. 

Tikka Lite SS

Kahles KX 3.5-10 x 50 with 4D reticle

Talley mount

How did I do for novice?  Without going crazy on the dollars.  Whole setup was about $1400.  I might of been able to get things a little cheaper but I was in a time crunch.

cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 21:23

I more thing.  It is a mountain gun setup.  The finished weight is 7.35lb.  I changed out the recoil pad with a limbsaver.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 23:00
I love my Tikka T3s.
You will really like the scope.
Talley mounts are good to go, have one Tikka topped with Talleys.

Make sure you get it to the range; never go to war with an unproven weapon.

Wish I had an "emergency elk hunt" to excuse my purchases.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2007 at 03:18

YOU DIDN'T POST PICTURES OF YOUR NEW WEAPON!!!!!!

Sounds very nice. Did you go with the aluminum Talley set up?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2007 at 13:37
I know.  That is clearly a man law violation.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 10:32

Yeah, where are the pics? Give us something to drool over. :)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 13:45
OK, here is the pic.  I am not good at this so I hope it comes out.  I have to make the image smaller. Hold on
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 13:55

Here is another pic.  They are not as good after I resize.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:08
Nice stick....
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:23

If that's what you came up with in a rush, I'd hate to think what would have come your way with no time limits. Excellent setup.

P.S. Are those Talley's medium height?

Edited by Roy Finn
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 15:00
Yes, Medium.  I thought about trying low, but would have been too tight with the scope covers.  I was going with the Kahles 3-9 x 42 but wanted the 4d reticle and the 50 objective.  I think the mediums worked out nice.  I also replaced the stock recoil pad with limbsaver.  It seems much thicker and is sure to perform better.  The scope balance seems perfect for the lightweight setup.  I will let you guys know how the 4 day elk trip goes we leave on Sunday for 1 week.
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 13:07

Nice.

I have the same rifle topped with Burris FFII in the factory rings.

Our elk season opens on the 27th.

Barnes TSX handloads on the menu.....

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 17:11
I don't reload.  I am shooting Federal premium Barnes 180 TSX.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 22:16
Well, I leave on Sunday.  Sighted in the rifle today.  I shot 15 rounds.  The last five at 100 yards were less than 1.5".  One was an outliner the other four were touching and were less than 1" group.  If it is good enough to shoot the elks eye out at 100 yards that should be good enough.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2007 at 22:16
Who in the HELL is this blithering idiot,,,,,,"NOBODY."....."Nobody" is the perfect name for you, because any other user name is to damned good for you!!!! .308 caliber is trash???? You sir,,,, don`t know what the hell you are talking about!You defintely, are a "NOBODY" as your user name implies!!!.......A 7MM WSM superior in EVERY WAY way to a 308?????? Or a 300 WSM? You are so full of crap that your eye balls and your brains are turning brown!!!! You insult a fellow poster by saying that his IQ did not provide him the insight??? You sir, are the fool with no IQ, as your immaturity level certainly reveals that!!!!. I find the 7mm to be an excellent cartridge. But to insult a fellow poster and say the .308 is trash?......To be polite! You are a pathetic pie hole!!!!!  I would give 10K if I could do this to you!!   
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2007 at 22:35
Totally agree with you Big Sqeeze.  No class at all.   I would like to see "NOBODY" back that claim up.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2007 at 23:43
He can`t back up diddly squat and won`t!! He is literally,,,a pie hole!...... Even if we forget, for just a minute, the issue about the 7mm vs. the .308, he still insulted a fellow poster to this forum!!! Obviously he lacks any class and any manners as well!!!! I would pay even more to put my boot up his pie hole!!!             
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 07:48
Why is everyone so angry in my thread? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 07:53

Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

Why is everyone so angry in my thread? 

Theres a troll going around this forum by the screen name of "nobody". I have been just deleting his drivel up till now.

Sorry about the ruckus....

cheap.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 11:48
Cajun..........It is a matter of standing up for what is right and taking a stand against clowns like "NOBODY"............If I get angry in the process, so be it!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic