OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Montana Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montana Pics
    Posted: October/13/2007 at 13:25

Looking south at the Crazies.  Sorry Ronk, not the best pic, but the best I could find at the moment.

Missouri River Breaks looking north at the Little Rockies.  There are some huge elk in this area.  A couple that could be world record size.

Outfitters land in the Snowies looking north at the South Moccasins

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 20:15

Thank you for posting this Helo-18! I Love those pics, as I mentioned in your other thread.

I'm guessing that the top photo was taken from the Little belts, looking over the Big Belts competitor , with the Bridgers right and rear and the Crazies way off back, center and left. Does that sound about right? Just trying to get my bearings here!

Edited to add that I tried to correct this post twice but the word " competitor" keeps popping up in the middle of my sentences for no reason that makes any sense. I think it has something to do with that silly balloon?

Edited by RONK
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 21:51
Well, I looked at the blown up picture.  It is not the best quality pic.  I think I figured out the layout though.  Right side is still the Little Belts.  Middle is the Crazies.  It is hard to tell because of the quality, but behind the Crazies are the Beartooth and Absorka Ranges.  I wish it was better quality, but I can't find a better one.  The Big Belts are farther west out of the picture.  Hope that helps with your bearings.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 21:54

I uploaded a few to the photo gallery part.  Here is a link if you want to see some of the other ones.

http://www.opticstalk.com/photoserver/member.aspx?id=4273

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 22:18

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. Sure is big beautiful country. Sigh.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 07:29

Dang that's BEAUTIFUL,

I hate Metro living, nothing worse than having so many people, living so close that, you can hear your neighbor fart, even worse when ya have to smell it.

I long for the BIG SKY COUNTRY.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 10:01

I would love to move out away from the metro areas. It is just so darn hard to find good paying work when you get away from the cities. I do my best... I live 30 minutes outside of the city, but every week it creeps farther and farther out. Ah well...

Edited by Graysteel
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 11:05
Thanks!! Outstanding....
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 12:03

That is the downside to Montana.  Low pay and hard to find good work.  Construction, or government work are usually the best you can find pay wise.  It is worth getting paid less to be able to live there, at least to me.  I am in Portland OR right now in helicopter flight school.  Love the flying, hate the city life.  There are more people in this city, than the entire state of Montana.  Can't wait to get back and do some guiding and hunting in November.  Maybe shoot a nice big muley my dad spotted a while back.

Guess I'll have to wait.  If anybody ever wants to hunt Montana, drop me a line, and I will recommend a few areas.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 20:09
 Ever think about supplementing your income as a semi- professional photographer?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 20:17

I've  heard it said that if you took Montana and ironed it flat, it would encompass more area than the entire U.S east of the Mississippi.

Those photos make that easy to believe. BTW great mulie pic, too!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 20:55

I sure could use the extra income right now.  Might have to take that suggestion Ronk.  Never heard that about MT, but I could believe it.

Boy, I have a good story to tell today.  Not about hunting, but I had to laugh.

So anyway, I am in flight school, and we get people from all over the world training out here.  I just got back from a flight to the coast and back.  Little rainy and cloudy.  And a bit bumpy in a small helicopter, but what the heck, it was only a little rain.  So I walk back to dispatch to report back in, and there was a newbie standing there with the admissions guy. 

The admissions guy turns to me and says, "Leave it to a Montanan to fly in this crap." 

Newbie says, "You really from Montana?"

Me "Yep."

Newbie "Isn't that the state with no speed limits?"  This is a typical question that Montanans get, and we have a standard response.

Me  "We have speed limits.  It is as fast as you horse can run!"  Now normally at this point the guy figures out your being smart, and the conversation goes normally at this point.

Not so normal newbie  "Really?  You guys don't use cars?  How do you get your mail?"

Me  "Pony Express."

Newbie  "So does that mean you don't have telephones or running water?

Me  "We have running water.  Run to the stream, fill the bucket, run back.  And we just send telegrams when we need to talk."

Newbie by this point is really looking confused.  I though maybe he was catching on with all of the dispatch trying not to laugh.  But I about dropped when I heard the next one.

Newbie  "Isn't Montana part of CANADA!?" 

Me Staring in disbelief.  How do you even respond to that?  I mean don't they have a No child left behind program?  Appearently they forgot one.  When I was in school, I had to memorize all the state and the respective capitals.

Well dispatch lost it at this point, and then he figured out I was yanking his chain.  Never caught where he was from, but I do wonder.  Feel sorry for his instructor.  That kid will probably get lost going from dispatch to the air helicopter.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 08:56

LOL!!!  Great story!  I can't imagine this prospective student would have the mental capacity to complete helicopter flight school.  Any instructor getting in the cockpit next to him must have a death wish...

Great pics too.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm dying to visit & hunt Montana someday.  Absolutely beautiful from what I hear.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 20:12
im sorry but eastern montana is like north dakota western half is another story a lot like my native wyoming
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 20:44
Very true about eastern montana.  Only reason we don't give it to north dakota is that there are some really big deer in some areas down there.  If we could keep the hunting rights and give up the rest, it would be fine.  Central and Western Montana, on the other hand, is paradise.  Amazing views, amazing skiing, and killer hunting.  Brother just moved to Wyoming, and he said he has seen some monster elk down there as well.  Two great states.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 20:52
you bet!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 20:13
 Don't write off North Dakota, fellas, until you've spent some serious time in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Those Badlands are BAD!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 23:33
Very true Ronk.  Been through there once.  Rugged area.  Although I prefer the higher mountains myself.  Hard to beat hunting at 8 to 10 thousand feet.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 15:41

Great picts & good story, do I miss flying when I see those pictures.

Duce 

Duce
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 21:11
ive hunted the badlands they arent anything like some of the gnarly terrain you would encounter in wyoming or montana, the badlands would be a burp in the system compared to some of stuff in those two states.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic