OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tasco Euro class 3-12x52mm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tasco Euro class 3-12x52mm?
    Posted: October/12/2007 at 18:40
I have the opportunity to purchase this tasco scope mint cond. never been mounted,from 1989 production year. For $60.00 .can anyone tell me if it is worth it? What was retail for this? This scope will be used on my weatherby 300 mag.Or 30/30   I have made my decision about this scope and the topic is closed as of Nov. 5, 2007 . I would like to thank all who replied to this question. Thank you   Brett

Edited by Brett
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2007 at 19:02

Well there is a link regarding the Euro-Class that was posted on this forum.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1188&PN=1

Seems that for the price range they were a pretty ok scope.  Im not a fan of Tasco or Simmons scopes. That is not to say that all are horrible. After reading the above link it appears the scope may have been made in Japan (Think Nikon) and Japan makes some great scopes.

I had an opportunity to pick up a Simmons ATV scope for around $50 dollars new in box. Again it was a nicer Simmons line and it works fine for a .22 mag the glass is pretty decent and it appears to be well buit.

Normally, I say you get what you pay for in optics. That is not to say that everyone needs to have a Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski but a good solid entry level scope from Leupold, Burris, Nikon Pentax ect...is money well spent. The problem I have with some of the "cheaper scopes" is at times they are not all that cheap. Meaning if you have to pay $150.00 for a high end Simmons then save $50.00 more and get a Burris Fullfield, Nikon Buckmaster or a Bushnell 3200 Elite which will still be much better in the long run. But if a deal comes along I would not pass it up.

Good shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Brett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2007 at 21:07
Thank you for the quick reply to my question. I went to the link above and was looking for a second opinion,thanks for your input!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2007 at 21:49
Brett....................Remember my friend! With scopes, you get what you pay for!!! I would certainly not mount a Tasco on any 300 Wby. This may appear to you to be a great deal. But in the final analysis, it just may cost you much more than you bargained for!...........How about a lost shot opportunity on a trophy buck or elk in bad weather conditions due to the lens distortions with inferior optics! How about a scope breakdown due to an over abundance of recoil, especially from a 300 Wby! How about an accidental drop of your rifle causing inside damage to an inferior constructed scope!.................Mounting a Tasco scope on top of a 300 Wby?     I`ll take 20 year old Leupold before any 18 year old new and unmounted Tasco, let alone a brand new one!!! I wouldn`t even put it on a 30-30!.......Spend some money and wisely give your 300 what it deserves and more importantly what you deserve!! A scope is an investment in your shooting and hunting enjoyment....DO NOT treat it as just an expense, to spend as little as possible just to get by!..........To be honest with you further, a Tasco mounted on a 300 Wby. is an insult to that cartridge and rifle, regardless of your rifle brand!!!...............   
Brett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2007 at 23:22
Thank you for your advice I will take all you have said into consideration,I saw this in a pawn shop window and was curious if it was any good.The only experience I have had with a tasco was on a .22 cal about ten years ago,not exactly the same as my 300.Thanks again for your input.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 11:52
A Tasco on a .22 is one thing!!!......Sitting on top of a any 300 magnum is another!!! 
acelow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 22:16
I've have used a euro-class 3-12x52 for 15 years on my rem700 270win, the only problem I've had was the very short eye relief...other than that the optics were not that bad, much better than the japanese made world class

Edited by acelow
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 22:38
Acelow....................Do the Japanese make a world class Tasco? I didn`t know that!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2007 at 11:53

Tasco is just a name brand, they do not own any factories and have the ability to source any quality of scope they want.  The Euroclass was their attempt to experiment in the higher end scopes at the direction and recommendation of SWFA (we actually sent them a Swarovski and S&B and we named the line Euroclass).  The Euroclass turned into the Titan line.  Both the Euroclass and Titan scopes lines are very good scopes for the money and well worth what you spent.

Most of the scopes you see on the market today from almost all the brands, come from a handful of factories.  When tasco was owned by an individual and before they were bought and ruined by investment bankers they made some nice stuff.  But the company was bought and sold a few times and each time they cheapened the product to boost the bottom line, making the company look profitable.  This works for a short time, then the brand becomes weak due to the sub par product.  A pretty good rule of thumb to judge what kind of tasco you have and if it is good, is to see where it was made.  If it is marked, made in Japan......it's a good one.

acelow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2007 at 20:18
Big Squeeze.....the world class tasco that were made back in the eighties were japanese made, I currently have a 2-9x40 TV that I had brought back in 1987 that I've mounted on a T/C Black Diamond was made in japan
Brett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2007 at 22:11
acelow thank you for your reply, I saw the same thing with the eye relief. There were many cons and not enough pros to purchase this scope so I passed this one by, and will save my money for another scope on another day.Thank you everyone for your help in  my decision.   I would also like to thank optics talk for a great forum for Q & A            Brett
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 10:38
Will you give the seller my information, I'll give him $60. for it.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2007 at 14:11
Chris, will Tasco still fix the 30mm Japan scopes?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2007 at 14:14
Nope, Bushnell bought the name only they will not warranty anything prior to their acquisition (2001 I think).  ABO in Florida will for a price.
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2007 at 14:24

Thanks Chris. Now to break the news to my brother.

Is that 35 bucks the total repair fee or the minimum? Do they do good work?

Edited by crispycritter
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 11:20
Chris, thanks for clearing up the issues regarding Tasco scopes.  My nephew has a Japanese made one on a 30-06 Remington 700, that is about 15 years old and has never been sighted in since orginally mounted and he shot a deer with me two years ago in almost complete darkness at 125 yards.  I have a few of the World Class scopes, I do not know where they were made, I have not looked, but on top of rimfires, I can hit within a quarter all day long at 100 yards and given the rifles only cost 200 dollars or so, I do not see any reason to put a 700 dollar scope on it.
Countrymile View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countrymile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 09:47
Hello all. It seems Chris knows a lot about older Tasco scopes, but I know a lot of you have a lot of experience so I thought I would reach out to you. I bought an older Rem 700 .243 and it came with a Tasco 5-20x44 euroclass. Ive been to the range with it once, yesterday and it seems to be pretty clear, I'm a little low at 100 but can adjust it up... Just wondered if you can tell me anything about what I have got, anything I can/should do to spruce it up or any maintainece tips. I bought a Bushnell XLT 3-9X40 thinking I would have to replace the Tasco based on reputation before I realized that my Tasco very well may be prebuyout. In your opinion is the Euroclass better than the Bushnell? Would you keep it? Any thoughts really appreciated! Thanks Q
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 09:55
I would keep a Euro Class Tasco for some rifle!  It was a real decent scope at the time.  

I once had a cheapie Simmons on a 300 Winchester and shot some animals with it!   Shocked
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I would keep a Euro Class Tasco for some rifle!  It was a real decent scope at the time.  

I once had a cheapie Simmons on a 300 Winchester and shot some animals with it!   Shocked

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 10:43
( I was over in South Africa at the time and it was what I had....there were not a lot of scopes to buy over there when the sanctions were going on, unless you wanted to buy a Zeiss for, like, 3000 Rand or so....)  ...in the 1980s....

Just a week or so before returning to the States, I was in this gun store in Gold Reef City in Johannesburg and I saw something for sale that you would not believe!!   I am still kicking myself for not buying it, but I needed what money I had because we were leaving the Country and I could not be buying toys for myself at that moment....

.....I am almost ashamed to tell you guys.....Stare

.......I saw with my own eyes!!....a Brevex Mauser Action!!!   For R600!!!  ( that would have been $200 US at the time!! )  

Head Banger

Whistling

Big Grin
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic