OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for under $400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for under $400
    Posted: October/09/2007 at 18:57
Hey guys, new to the forum and look forward to hearing your input. I recently bought a Browning A Bolt Eclipse in .270WSM, the gun is going to spend deer season with my dad in his tree house and will likely spend allot of time at the range in it's lifetime. Shooting ranges will likely be 300yds and under. I currently have a Leupold VX II 3-9X50 mounted on my Weatherby Vanguard that I have been very satisfied with EXCEPT I want a bit more magnification up top. I have been looking hard at Burris Full Field II's in a 4.5-14, Nikon Buckmaster's, and Leupold VX II's. As of yet I am undecided, guess I'm leaning towards the Burris, I looked through one of them next to a Leupold VX-L and honestly I thought the burris looked just as good in the strore. Any input or ideas appreciated
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 19:54
You might want to look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 series.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 19:59
Excellent advice,

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1307-185-bushnell-4-16x40-elite-420 0-rifle-scope.aspx

under $400, pretty good optics, better than the Burris you are looking at, and the Leupys.

Good Luck welcome to the OT.
Robert
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 20:29
i would just as soon stay in the 3x9 range and buy a zeiss conquest myself. bushnell elite 4200 is good stuff as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 21:15
Zeiss conquest-$399-well worth every penny!,Bricat
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 21:51
I will throw in another vote for the Zeiss Conquest.  Plenty of them on the Sample List right now for $350-$400.  You will not find a better scope for that amount of $$$. 

Also, I would tend to agree with pyro that 3-9x is more than ample magnification if you're shooting 300 yards or less.  Heck, a 2-7 would be plenty.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 23:02
DeerHuntr................Remember me?????.....You have some that reco the Zeiss Conquest and some that reco the Elite 4200! Both are excellent choices. The Zeiss will be a small fraction brighter than the 4200, but the 4200 does not give up anything to the Zeiss as far as clarity, crispness or resolution!!!! The 4200 will match if not exceed the Conquests durability and/or construction, (ie 10,000 rounds tested mounted on a 375 H&H)..........The Elite will give up a little in the eye relief dept., but IMO, not enough to make any difference on that Browning Eclipse. I haven`t been scope whacked yet from my Elite 4200 and I shoot the lighter 300 WSM compact if you remember!!.........To be honest, comparing the two which I have done, I`d go with the 4x16 Elite 4200 at under $400. It is a better deal for the money. It will accomplish anything in the field or at the range, under any condition, and will do so, equally as well as the Zeiss! If possible, compare the two for yourself.............Welcome to this forum too!!!!!!!!!!             
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 23:26
Hey Squeeze, Been to 2 sporting goods stores in town and can find elite 3200 but not 4200's, have one or two left to try. Hope to try to compare it to the others that have been suggested soon. I think I've been married too long, I used to just go buy something and get it over with, now I snoop around and research everything, then mull it over for a couple months hoping to find a sale!!!!! It must be an illness : )!!!!!! Thanks for all the replies guys, keep em coming
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 23:43
Too much analysis,,,,can lead to paralysis!!!........Sometimes, the more you,,,, "think about it",,,,,,the more confused and hesitant you become!!!....In a way, these forums can help some people cut to the chase & minimize the chasing!!!! You don`t want your gas & time expense to exceed the cost of your new scope???? Just a thought!   
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2007 at 06:21
If you can get a conquest for around the same price as the 4200 in the magnification you want go for it.  If you are going to settle for a 3-9X40, get an elite 4200 for $260 new off swfa's website.  There is a point where you pay more and don't gain much, I believe this is one of those situations.  $260 for that 4200 is unbeatable.  If you really want to up the ante get a Kahles KX or CL off of the sample list.  That would be a big step up in optical quality.  You get what you pay for in optics, I have come to find out.  Good luck.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2007 at 12:31
If you want a Nikon, stick with a Monarch.  Sometimes, I like you, want a little bit more on the top end, so that is why I like my Monarch at 14x and 4200 at 16.  Both great scopes.  But, the guys are right, a 3x9 should suffice up to 300 yards and what you get is a less complicated scope that is likely to be more durable, especially without an AO that could go wrong.  Biggest thing, trust your own eyes and get what you want.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2007 at 20:16
Big fan of the 4200 series...highly recommend
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic