OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Suggestions For My New 700LTR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Suggestions For My New 700LTR?
    Posted: October/07/2007 at 01:22
Hello Everyone,

Nice to meet you all.

I am new to long range shooting and today purchased a Remington LTR in .308.   I usually only shoot my iron sites on my AR, but wanted to get into long range shooting and am excited about putting a scope on the LTR and taking my time at the range for once.

My question.....Which scope would you recommend if I'm mainly going to be using this rifle at a max of 200-500 yards (mostly 200 as my local range only goes to 200), during the day, no competition use (for now anyway) and just be easy on the pocketbook. I don't need anything hossy or hand crafted by the gods, but want something reliable, durable and of course accurate. I must say there are hundreds of choices and want to make sure I get the right scope/setup.

I was thinking about the Super Sniper 10x42 w/slide focus...but wanted to see if there were any other options out there. My budget is $300-600. Also if any of you could recommend mounting hardware that works as well that would be really helpful as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks again in advance for the help!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 06:37

My choice in that field would be the New Nikon Monarch ucc at 449 at SWFA it has the mil-dot and 4 in eye relief

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8770-218-nikon-4-16x42-monarch-rifles cope.aspx

Duce 

Oh and wellcome to opticstalk

Edited by Duce
Duce
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 07:45
Welcome to the OT, I have never owned or seen a super sniper but I can tell you that they are held in high regard on this sight so it must be a pretty good scope.  For mounts, I have never had a problem with Leupold Dovetail mounts, but Talley mounts are the best in the business in my opinion.  Good luck.
Robert
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 08:47

Welcome.

I'd go with a Warne 20 MOA rail and Burris rings if you want to save some money.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-11561-1773-new-warne-tactical-1-piece -base.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4649-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm- rings.aspx

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 09:26
look at gunbroker and snipershide web site for a used mk4 4.5x14 with mil-dot.
dayton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 12:26
Thanks for the info! When I get back from the range today I'll look at everyones recommendations and will let everyone know what I decide. I might need more help once I start piecing everything together. Thanks again a bunch.

Cheers!

Edited by dayton
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 13:28

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

look at gunbroker and snipershide web site for a used mk4 4.5x14 with mil-dot.

Right on!!!   

Sure is a lot of Leupold haters on this board.....Geeez! 

dayton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 15:48
I ended up getting a leupold mark4 3.5-10x40. I also got the burris rings mentioned above and a mark 4 two piece base. Thanks for
the help.

Best.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 15:58

Originally posted by dayton dayton wrote:

I ended up getting a leupold mark4 3.5-10x40. I also got the burris rings mentioned above and a mark 4 two piece base. Thanks for
the help.

Best.

Please come back on and postp pics!!

Good shooting!

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 16:11

Great set up post some picts

Duce

Duce
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 16:19
Optimus.....................You stayed away from the other thread started by Cheaptrick???!!! How did you contain yourself from that temptation??    You missed the party!  I  missed you on that thread!         I really missed,,,,,  ..............But in the end though!!!,,,,,,,,,,      ...................
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 17:37

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Optimus.....................You stayed away from the other thread started by Cheaptrick???!!! How did you contain yourself from that temptation??    You missed the party!  I  missed you on that thread!         I really missed,,,,,  ..............But in the end though!!!,,,,,,,,,,      ...................

Trick says I'm still on probation....

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Trick says I'm still on probation....

THIS IS CLASSIC

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
dayton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 01:13
By popular request. I have pics.

:)

I'm sure you've all seen this setup before, but I'm super happy with it! I am going to the range on Sunday to break it in. My only gripe is that I should have gotten low Burris rings (1/4) instead of medium Burris rings (1/2). My cheek doesn't really rest in the "sweet spot." SHOOT! I totally spaced on what cheaptrick recommended. Live and learn. I'm going to order some low Burris rings, so if anyone wants my medium rings that are practically brand new let me know. I'll sell them pretty cheap. I can't return them now. I ended up mounting them after the fact...Lets just say its been a really long week.

Thanks for all your input everyone! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Edited by dayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 06:37

Eagle Stock Pack is a nice addition. I'd still swap out the medium rings for lows though. http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=53& searchfield=stock+pack

Nice rifle!! Thanks for the pics.

Standing by for range AAR.... 

dayton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 19:51
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Eagle Stock Pack is a nice addition. I'd still swap out the medium rings for lows though. http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=53& searchfield=stock+pack

Nice rifle!! Thanks for the pics.

Standing by for range AAR.... 

Oh nice...thanks again for all the help. I'm going to order lows when I get paid next week. This rifle hurt my bank account. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic