OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bullet drop compensators?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bullet drop compensators?
    Posted: October/06/2007 at 12:40
Where can i find 270wsm bullet drop compensators for a bushy 4200 3x9x40?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 13:41
http://www.kentonindustries.com/

I'm sure there are others, I use this guy's stuff, always been dead on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
captain14 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 19:05
Do they rally work as advertised? Ive never used them before and I'm thinking because i like precision they would be nice to have on my hunting rifle. What do you think?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 20:17
Captain......................In all of my 35+ hunting years, I have never used a BDC!....For my old 300 Win., and now for my 300 WSM, on all my hunts, I simply use a 300 yard zero. I know the MV, the ballistic co-efficiency of the bullet, as well as know the bullet drop beyond 300 yards. I have the same scope you do; a 3x9 4200..........On my last pig hunt, I took a sow at 342 yards! Just kept it steady, aimed and fired, with no holdover guess work! Your 270 WSM is a wonderful flat shooter. I agree with kazijoy here!...........You sight in at 300 yards, you won`t need a BDC. It is only a guide, not an absolute!   
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 20:34

You can accomplish the same thing as a BDC by dialing your elevation dial up or down a few minutes as needed. Just tape a range card to your stock as a reminder to how much you need to dial it, previously determined by actual shooting at various known distances. If your scope tracks well, it will work fine, if it doesn't, a BDC won't help anyway.(Your 4200 will work fine.)

I agree with the other guys that you shouldn't have to dial anthing at most hunting distances with a 300 yard zero on a 270 WSM.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 22:55
My roots are military shooting, I like my game to drop, poop, and die - and maybe not in that order.

I agree that time on the trigger and a little knowledge of your ballistics goes a long way; however, I have seen many (MANY!) shooters aim dead nutz when their gun was zeroed at 100 and they were shooting at 400.  Under stressful circumstances, the urge to aim center-mass is tough to overcome - not impossible, but tough.

I like my BDC's for 3 reasons:
1. I know, when the adrenaline is pumping, I will not make a mistake and click in too much or too little - the range is displayed rather than the click count.  Range it with the range finder, click in exact range, aim dead-on, squeeze.
2. Confidence!
3.  Precision and accuracy.  I like precision hits.  I don't aim for an animal or a side, I aim for a spinal column or brain stem, or both lungs.  I poor correction takes away that precision.

If all you care about is shooting a MOD (minute of deer), forget the BDC.  If you never take a shot further than 300, forget the BDC.  If there is a chance you will have a shot at a champion elk at 500 yards and the wind is perfect and he is showing you a broadside and waiting for you to shoot; I'd rather have a BDC than not.

We can agree to disagree, but I've been jacked up on adrenaline enough times to know that fine motor skills go as do some critical thinking skills; and it is at those moments I want a worry-free adjustment.  If the range finder says 525 yards, I'd rather keep it simple: dial up to 525, aim, squeeze.

Maybe everyone else here is much smarter than me.  Or a better hunter.  Or a better shooter.

It isn't always useful.  And it is seldom necessary, but I've made a few hits taht, without the BDC, would be misses.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2007 at 12:51

I have to agree with Rancid. Sure you can approximate point of impact with hold over/under, but personally I like to have know that my aiming point is dead on. Accuracy is limited by the sum of all errors, so why not reduce the ones that you can? Sure it may only reduce error by an inch or two, but sometimes that inch is the one that makes the difference. Of course, there is something nice about having covered turrets that can't be bumped.  Again, just my two cents.

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2007 at 16:01

Originally posted by captain14 captain14 wrote:

Where can i find 270wsm bullet drop compensators for a bushy 4200 3x9x40?

It's already in your scope in the form of the plex reticle (probably). Go out and measure it's subtension (x-hair to plex post tip) @ 9X @ 100 yds. This can also be referred to as your shooter's minute of angle (MOA) measurement. Now run  a ballistics program for your load/sight-in distance, etc., and then match the bullet drop to the plex post tip subtension. Now calculate the interpolative system (in-between stadia zeros), by dividing each additional 25 or 50 yd. MOA measurement by the plex post tip measurement in MOA, and that's the reference along the vertical axis. Do the same for 10 mph windage, and u'll have this kinduva' range sticker to put inside of your Butler Creek scope cap cover (1 entry)--

350-0.5-0.4--

obviously range, elevation, windage in that order

The plex reticle is the simplest of all ballistic and rangefinding reticles ever made once the shooter understands and practices the system.

Edited by sscoyote
Steve
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 11:12

Rancid and Greysteel make a good case for a BDC, so much so that I will concede my earlier argument for using the elevation dial's numbers to dial-in a particular range. They are right in that a BDC will eliminate one step.(converting yards to clicks or minutes.) It is a bit simpler.

I personally do not think that for the average hunter, a rifle should be zeroed to hit dead on at 100 yards, with the shooter dialing in all intermediate distances. You are really watering down the advantages offered by a flat-shooting cartridge if you do that. We all like to hit exactly what we are shooting at, but in hunting situations a bullet thru the lungs is a bullet thru the lungs, whether it is dead center, three inches below or 4 inches above center.If you are really trying to simplify things, sight in about 2 and a half or three inches high at 100 and you won't really have to worry about holding or dialing anything out to three hundred yards or so as long as you hold center chest on deer or elk-sized game. Of course, a lot depends on how much time you think you will have available to take the shot, as to which system you'll wish to adopt.The main thing is to practice a lot, and if you do that, any of the systems above will work. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic