OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Questions for a .270

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 20:45

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

O'Connor stated on more than one occasion that the 30/06 was a more "versatile" round. That said, for all practical purposes, the 270, 280 and 06 are all but interchangeable for pratical field purposes.

i would agree with that under certain circumstances.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:14
I am not trying to imply that they are equal, only that given they share realatively the same powder capacity there would be ltitle difference on deer sized game. If Elk/Moose were my main targets I would to go up a notch to the 300 mags even though the 06 would do fine with good bullets. On the other hand, if deer and pronghorn were on the menu, I would probably go with something along the lines of a 25/06 with the 270 being a better choice than a 06 shooting some what flatter. I just don't think the 06 hits significantly harder than a 270 or 280 could nor do I feel the 270 shoots significantly flatter than a 06.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:21
true but where the .280 and 30-06 have an advantage is in the versatility area, way more choices of bullet weights in 7mm and .308 than in 6.8mm, elk and moose die every year to the 25-06 and every other member of that family all the way up to the .338-06 while nobody on earth would be able to really tell the difference when they squeeze the trigger on paper the differences are there even if they are very small one still has to acknowledge they exsist. hell between me and my dad there have been many elk taken with a 150 sierra pro hunter with the 30-06 at various ranges.not that any of this has to do with the original question,
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:39
Which is the reason why I own 3, 06's and a 280 Ackley. The differences are academic and not really worth arguing over. More importantly, I don't like to hijack threads.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:41
agreed
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:51

The headstamp of a cartridge from which a bullet is fired is rather an insignificant detail in the death of some big, dumb beast. Far more important is where that bullet hits, how well it expands/and penetrates, and subsequently what sort of tissue it destroys as a result of those factors. Choosing the most appropriate class of cartridges for a given task is generally fairly important, but nitpicking over inconsequential differences between very similar cartridges within a class of them is not.

I know that you could give almost any one of the most experienced hunters in the world a loaded rifle with the chambering designation masked off the barrel, not allow him to see or feel the actual cartridge, not tell him what it was and then have him shoot a dozen head of big game with it. You would get some good guesses, but very few could tell a 7mm from a .270, a 30-06 from a 300 H&H, etc. based on the results on game.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 21:54
once again not having anything to do with the thread but, i enjoy talking guns so if you cant tell a difference in recoil between a .270 and 300 h&h you need your head checked but i do agree you would get a lot of mixed results. and i agree that proper selection based on species is important, but all i am getting at is the popularity of the .270 wasnt earned it was manifested by many articles, and like i said before which ever cartridge he would have picked if not the .270 would have become just as popular as the .270 did because it was jack writing about using that caliber.

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 12:16
there wasn't really that much choice in those days, it's like a pre 64 winchester story, hunt with what you got then, alot of stuff was hyped then, ackley improved, weatherby round shoulder, No doubt the legends of the time would have been using a super lazzaroni, or keith a 500 sw. but doesn't that say more about gun magazines???
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 13:08

yea, Dale, but them Ackley's look cool...........

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 13:46
Here we go!!!!!!........Optimus Minimus aka Blackbird or whomever is over on this thread too?????.........No! We don`t hate Leupolds on this site!!!  There are just some better alternatives!!. The .270 is not my 1st choice either! But, it appears like you just may own a 270 Win? No doubt a Leupold on top too??? Absolutely!!!....... You will have alot of work to do in order for some of us to even partially agree with you. But, your work on this site for the most part, will be futile, especially with Pyro!!! A .270 on his wall or in a gun cabinet has about as much of a chance as a snowball in hell.......   I wish you luck Optimus Minimus,,,,,,,,you`re going to need it!!!!!
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 14:01

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Here we go!!!!!!........Optimus Minimus aka Blackbird or whomever is over on this thread too?????.........No! We don`t hate Leupolds on this site!!!  There are just some better alternatives!!. The .270 is not my 1st choice either! But, it appears like you just may own a 270 Win? No doubt a Leupold on top too??? Absolutely!!!....... You will have alot of work to do in order for some of us to even partially agree with you. But, your work on this site for the most part, will be futile, especially with Pyro!!! A .270 on his wall or in a gun cabinet has about as much of a chance as a snowball in hell.......   I wish you luck Optimus Minimus,,,,,,,,you`re going to need it!!!!!

Well gee, where should I start my defense, Your Honor?? 

I know not who this gentleman "Blackbird" you keep referring to is, but if he's a fellow .270/ Leupold fan, I like him already....

This task of educating you all on the virtue of using Leupold scopes and shooting .270 caliber rifles may indeed be more work than I thought, Squeeze. 

It really shouldn't be this hard, guys!! Just accept my word here as gospel truth and run with it.....  

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 14:20
Your Honor??? Me??? You are too kind!!!!.............Start your defense any where you wish!!! YOU??? The gospel`s truth????     You must be a true legend, but only in your own mind!!! Yep! Just like the Loopys and the 270!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 16:59

It's obvious this Optimus Prime fellow is either misunderstood and made statements about lenses coated with actual diamonds totally in jest, he's just another troll in the RMS mold and he's trying to be intentionally provocative, or he is in fact RMS reincarnated under yet another username.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 17:07
Yeah! I even thought that Optimus and Blackbird were one in the same! My confusion! My fault! My apologies to Blackbird here on this thread too! 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 17:36

Getting back on track, I have to agree with most of ND's initial reply. Except I think a 4X is plenty for 400 yard shots on big game with good lighting.

Where the variables come through is at dawn or dusk. A 3-9x40/36 set at 7 or 8 power definitely helps pick up the game at longer distances than a 4X. Besides, I see more value in any of the Kahles. Excellent optics and well built.

This one I took in Colorado several years back with a 4x Burris @ well over 300 yards. This was in the days of the stadia wire range finders.

Edited by tahqua
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 17:47
That is one fine mulie, tahqua....
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 17:53

Yes it is!!

Doug thats a beauty!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 18:12
Really nice, Doug!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 18:17

Thank's guys it's my best and only one over 25".  Another guy from Michigan was elk hunting north of me and took a bull smaller than my deer. He was not too happy on the plane ride back. I know you can't eat antlers but I wasn't going to trade mine for some elk meat. Besides, mulie tastes fine.

I guess we weren't to photowise back then, either. That darn grass makes him look like a hairy backed mutant.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 18:44

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

once again not having anything to do with the thread but, i enjoy talking guns so if you cant tell a difference in recoil between a .270 and 300 h&h you need your head checked but i do agree you would get a lot of mixed results. and i agree that proper selection based on species is important, but all i am getting at is the popularity of the .270 wasnt earned it was manifested by many articles, and like i said before which ever cartridge he would have picked if not the .270 would have become just as popular as the .270 did because it was jack writing about using that caliber.

Who said anything about RECOIL ? Go back to my post and read the last six words again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic