OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Bear Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bear Hunt
    Posted: October/04/2007 at 13:44
The Pope took a couple of days off to visit the Rugged Mountains
of Alaska for some sightseeing. He was cruising along the camp-
ground in the Popemobile when there was a frantic commotion just
at the edge of the woods.

A helpless Democrat, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales"
hat, and a "To Hell with Bush" T-shirt, was screaming while
struggling frantically and thrashing around trying to free himself
from the grasp of a 10-foot grizzly. 

As the Pope watched in horror, a group of Republican loggers came
racing up.

One quickly fired a 44 magnum into the bear's chest. The other two
reached up and pulled the bleeding, semiconscious Democrat from
the bear's grasp.

Then using long clubs, the three loggers finished off the bear and
two of them threw it onto the bed of their truck while the other
tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the back seat.

As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over.
"I give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them.
"I heard there was a bitter hatred between Republican loggers and
Democratic Environmental activists but now I've seen with my own
eyes that this is not true."

As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies "Who
was that guy?"

"It was the Pope," another replied. "He's in direct contact with
Heaven and has access to all wisdom."

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all wisdom but he
sure doesn't know anything about Grizzly bear hunting! By the way,
is the bait holding up, or do we need to go back to Massachusetts
and get another one? 
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 13:59

LOLOLOLOLOL - if it were only legal..............

good stuff.

J

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 14:04
take em!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 14:11

It’s only against the law if you get caught right?    hahaha just kidding i would never brake the law.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 06:28
  It should be a movie 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 14:23
Oh come on people.  Be nice.  There is no need to drag environmental activists from Massachusets all the way to Alaska.  They seem to find their way into bear country just fine on their own (I think they are becoming an importna t staple of bear diet during otherwise difficult times of year).  Beside, they should all voluntarily go and spend a few months where I grew up.   Alaska might not seem that bad to them after all.

ILya
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 15:35
Did you have bears there as well Koshkin??
God save the Empire!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Did you have bears there as well Koshkin??

I lived in a pretty populated area, so there were no bears there.  Local populace though was quite a bit worse.  I did run into bears out in the wild a couple of times and thankfully the bears had very little interest in me.  Still, I am not going into bear country unless I am riding in a main battle tank.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 19:00
dude i cannot believe you are that scared of bears come on!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 20:06

Good one Chris

Hey P, if they're small and they come into the yard I shoo them away, if they're big enough......................

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 20:21
thats what im talking about nice bruin doug
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 22:14
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

dude i cannot believe you are that scared of bears come on!

Ever seen a polar bear up close and personal?

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 08:38

I've never been north far enough to see a polar bear or a coastal brown bear. I know that some people think that blacks are more to worry about than a grizzly, I don't know.

I have had black bear as close as five feet away because it smelled the dog food I had in the back of my truck. I yelled at it and it ran away. I have also had them within yards while coming in from hunting. I sing a song to let them know I'm near and have not had a problem, yet. They can be yard pests in my area and that's how I approach them. Maybe that's a little overconfident but I have had encounters many times.

The grizzlies I have seen were far enough away that I wasn't worried. A bell on my back pack and constant talking with others has always worked. I don't think I would want to shoo one of them away. Maybe it's that darn hump, but they look more aggresive to me.

Polar bear are huge. They live out in open terrain and I don't think I would want to see one coming in my direction, even a half mile away, FTS!  I would hope someone from MA was around that ran slower so the poor beast could have an enlightened meal.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 08:40
I have an old video of Fred Bear on a polar bear hunt.  Fred was no fool so obviously backed up by a guide with a rifle but he was mighty close when he shot with his bow.  Have other videos when he was on brown bear and grizzly hunts - this is putting skin on the line;  a little different from hunting whitetails.
God save the Empire!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 08:52

Yogi, and BooBoo don't bother me near as much as old snaggle tooth does.

North Ga mtns you see both, the bears they usually run as soon as they see you. The big kitty though will try to get in your deer stand with ya.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 09:22
yeah a mountain lion is for sure more of a worry to me than any species of bear, grizzly bears worry me the least for one reason, they wouldnt kill you for the same reason a black bear would, if a black bear attacks you he wants to eat you a grizzly bear is more like a wolf, likes the thrill of kill, mountain lions are so sneaky and fast that it would be over in a nanosecond you wouldnt stand much chance if one got you from behind. with a grizzly bear you are taught to play dead, with a black bear its the exact opposite you fight until the death or until it runs away, im not sure what polar bear protocol is, im not sure but i think polar bears have terrible eye sight i should check into that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 10:02
I find it strange that a bear can climb a tree, but it won't climb a tree to get to you, where as a mountain lion will, thats why they bother me more than the bear does. Both can run you down, so thats moot, I can climb a tree real good though, side arms mandatory.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 17:03
actually a bear will climb a tree to get you,  a buddy of mine found this out the hard way last fall he was in a tree hunting black bear with a bow and a sow and two cubs came into the bait and in mn shooting either or is considered illegal, if it would have been just a sow then thats ok, but as luck would have it a boar came into the bait as well and the sow of coarse chased the cubs up a tree but it was the tree my buddy was in, the sow chased the boar away from the area and when she came back she saw him up the same tree as her cubs thank god the cubs came up the tree just below him, they went back down to the ground but the sow was pissed and climbed up the tree after him, she got high enough to take chunks out of the sole of his shoe he slapped her on the head a few times with the limb of the bow and she wouldnt go back down and it was getting dark by then so he decided he had to shoot to survive and by the light of the moon and the white reflection off her teeth he drew back the bow and let her fly and bear fell to the ground and he never found her, no blood no nothing.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 06:53

I'll bet the pucker factor had his butt hole chewing on his underwear.

i've had a bear chase me, thank God he didn't come up the tree, Man I was up there with my toes curled around a branch for so long I thought i'd turn into an owl. No more bear huntin with a bow, and I'm carrying a pistol now.

Cyborg
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 18:30

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

actually a bear will climb a tree to get you,  a buddy of mine found this out the hard way last fall he was in a tree hunting black bear with a bow and a sow and two cubs came into the bait and in mn shooting either or is considered illegal, if it would have been just a sow then thats ok, but as luck would have it a boar came into the bait as well and the sow of coarse chased the cubs up a tree but it was the tree my buddy was in, the sow chased the boar away from the area and when she came back she saw him up the same tree as her cubs thank god the cubs came up the tree just below him, they went back down to the ground but the sow was pissed and climbed up the tree after him, she got high enough to take chunks out of the sole of his shoe he slapped her on the head a few times with the limb of the bow and she wouldnt go back down and it was getting dark by then so he decided he had to shoot to survive and by the light of the moon and the white reflection off her teeth he drew back the bow and let her fly and bear fell to the ground and he never found her, no blood no nothing.

Pyro, that is amazing. As I started to read your post, I was sure you were telling about my Uncle Ray who had almost the EXACT same scenario happen to him about 6 or seven years ago. The only differences are that he was hunting deer from a tree in northern Wisconsin, with a crossbow.(special disability permit). Also, I don't think there was a boar involved. He yelled at a yearling cub to chase it away from his area and a big,angry sow came out of nowhere and swarmed up the tree. He beat his crossbow to pieces on her head before she left with a few serious bites to his foot. He thinks she would have killed him if she had been able to get into the stand with him. He didn't have to shoot her though. I really don't think it would have posed a big moral dilemma for him if he had been able to...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic