OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWAROVSKI AV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GURU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWAROVSKI AV
    Posted: October/02/2007 at 07:39

has anyone used a swarovski av 1" scope on a heavy recoiling rifle?  if so did you have any problems with it ? i emailed swaro  and asked them about using one on a .300 ultra mag and the said they didnt recomend it. they also told me that all the 1" scopes had a wire reticle instead of a etched glass reticle  except the ones with the tds reticle. i really want to buy one of these scopes but im worried about it holding up to the recoil. any  opinions ?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 16:56
I have a 3-10X42 AV on a fairly light .300 Win Mag, and I've never had any problems with it.  Not as much recoil as the .300 Ultra, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't hold up to the recoil.  I'm also rather surprised by the answer you got from Swaro.  Which of their scopes did they recommend for your .300 Ultra?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GURU View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GURU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:11
the ph and the z6
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:13
I`m not a Swaro owner, but like the rifle dude, I`m also very surprised by their reco...That is very interesting! A high dollar, high quality scope not reco`d to be mounted on a 300 RUM??? Really!!!....I would also be curious as to what they do reco................  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:15
well of course they are in the business to sell expensive scopes and they would rather everybody buy the z6 and spend lots of money
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:16
i have a cheapo burris ffii on my light weight 300wsm and its been fine for the last 6 years so i cant see that $1000 euro scope wouldnt be able to handle a 300rum, hell the 4200 elite takes 10000 hits from a .375 h&h!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:26

That is a strange from Swaro indeed.

I had a Buckmaster on a .300 RUM and it held up great for many rounds. I also know a couple of dudes that shoot A line Swaro's on some heavy kickers with no problems to report.

I did run across this thread the other day.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/14210 43/m/945101837

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 17:29
OK! So, based on their reco, in order to get a Swaro mounted on a 300 RUM, one would need to spend about $1600 plus???? Give me a Nikon Monarch, a Leupold VX111, my 4200, a Burris, a Zeiss Conquest. I`ll take the difference in cash and apply it toward a better use. And, I`ll still be able do anything that the Swaros can do!!!!  
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 19:49
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

OK! So, based on their reco, in order to get a Swaro mounted on a 300 RUM, one would need to spend about $1600 plus???? Give me a Nikon Monarch, a Leupold VX111, my 4200, a Burris, a Zeiss Conquest. I`ll take the difference in cash and apply it toward a better use. And, I`ll still be able do anything that the Swaros can do!!!!  
           well said
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 21:39
FWIW -- Custom rifle builder Jim Borden recommends Swaro AV scopes on his superlight mountain rifles, which includes some heavy kickers.  I'm sure if you do an exhaustive enough search on any brand of scope, you'll find someone who's had one fail.  A couple years ago, my rifle topped with a Swaro AV slipped off my shoulder while I was climbing into an elevated blind and fell about 10 feet, landing scope first onto a large rock.  It was a very violent impact that bent the eyepiece, yet when I checked zero later that morning, it hadn't shifted at all!  Swaro repaired it at no charge and I had it back in about 2 weeks.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic