OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10x40 Hunting Binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2007 at 17:24

For example, during my last visit there, I "learned" that the Cabelas Euro binocular is fully the equal of the Swaro EL because, "it's a little known fact" that Swarovski owns Meopta, and Meopta makes all of Swaro's binos for them

This industry is absolutely full of misinformation about optics. When the conversation progresses away from the $100-300 range of products and begins making its way to the $600-800 and/or European side of things, people lock up, don't want to look ignorant to the customer so they throw things out there and hope that the customer agrees and doesn't pry too much further.

What it all boils down to is what binocular do your eyes tell you provides the sharpest image, the most contrast, the most natural color rendition, and what feels the best in your hands? This message board, your buddies, and any optics dealer in the country can push you in any direction they please but in the end, it is going to be you stuck by yourself with this product, using it for hours on end out in the field. If you have a product you love using and feel comfortable with, then you will want to use it more often and will feel like you made the right decision.

Try as many different binoculars as you can and go with your gut.

Get outside...
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2007 at 21:34
I too learned the SLC's only have the swarobright coating on "one" side of the lense whereas the EL's have all sides.....

Humm... the literature says that the SLC is coated on "all" surfaces exposed to air......

Maybe there is a misunderstanding too.... there are two other types of coatings mentioned too... right off their page its mentioned:

All lenses are coated with Swarotop® and Swarodur® multi-layer coatings for maximum light transmission. Prisms are coated with Swarobright®.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 00:23
To clear up some stuff about Swaro's coatings.

Swarotop are anti-reflective coatings that are on every glass to air interface of both EL and SLCnew (except for one prism surface that has Swarobright on it which I will explain shortly).

Swarodur are coatings that are pretty tough and scratch resistant.  These are on two external lens surfaces.

Swarobright is a dielectric prism coating that designed to be maximally reflective.  It is on one of the prism surfaces where geometry does not allow utilization of total internal reflection.

ILya
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 20:57
Any explanation you have I welcome..... I love understanding the nitty gritty of what makes things tick.... it almost brings more joy to the use of it.

Do I understand the Swarodur may stand for "durable".. for maximum durability, and if so, it must be a tad less ant-reflective than the swarobright surfaces, otherwise they would just just one for all.

If I'm surmising right... are the SLC's designed more for rough use with the prospect of accidental external lens contact with a foreign object, whereas the EL's are for maximum light transmission and possible more fragile by the nature of giving up durability for that maximum light transfer abilities?

I notice the twilight ratings are the same for both "21"... wouldn't that be a pretty good indication of final light transfer abilities?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 21:08
I suppose I was not clear enough.

SLCnew and EL have optics of equal quality.  The bodies are different.  ELs are lighter.

Swarobright is not an anti-reflective coating.  It is just the opposite it is a coating that maximizes reflection, not minimizes it.  Swarobright is only applied on one surface of the prism.  Some binoculars claim "silver-coated" or "aluminum-coated" prisms.  Most expensive binoculars instead of silver or aluminum use dielectric films (of materials like titanium dioxide, for example).  That is what Swarobright is: a highly reflective dielectric coating.

Swarodur is indeed a durable coating that is only needed on the outer surfaces of the binocular, where it is, in all likelihood, applied over the Swarotop coating.  It is used in both SLCnew and EL.

As for twilight rating, I suggest you do not pay any attention to that number.  It is one of the more useless metrics I can think of (there was a long thread discussing it; you can search for it).

ILya

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 00:25

Argie

Your oringal request for a binocular both working good for mountian hunting and nighthunting is actually quite contary, those are both quite specific needs requiing totaly different optics.

I am not going to give advise on the mountain hunting as where i live there is no mountains and that is not an option for me, but the nighthunting is very popular and common here.

The 10x40 gives a low exit pupil and in mostly cases a very poor FOV.

When hunting boar here at nights we often do it at quite close range, from 30-60 yards and binoculars with small FOV is quite annoying and makes the hunting so much more difficult.

So what you really need for that hunting is large exit pupil and big objective. Light is simply what  you need and not so much magnification.

As I understand you are buying binocular on a budget so I would recomend you to buy the 10x40 you need for your mountain hunting, but when the possibility turns up buy a second hand 7x50 for the nighthunting.

A US M17 (for example) military binocular from wwll is a quite good binocular and if in good condition outperforms all 10x40's for the nighthunting for a quite low sum of money.

The extra weight for those older 7x50 is not a problem when boar hunting as  you not are moving .

There is also plenty of new 7x50 or 8x56 that can be bought but then you have to strecy your budget quite a lot.

I preferes the 7x50 in mostly cases to 8x56 as mostly 8x56 have  a very limited FOV.

Regards Technika

Argie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 23:23

Technika:

Last weekI received a pair of Pentax DCF SP 10X43. I can tellyou it is quire a difference fron the Steiner 8X30 M&M I used.Specially at moonlight. They 're heavier,though. Next April in my annual red stag hunt in the patagonian Andes I'll wear them 'round my neck and realize if I need something lighter!

Thanks for your advice.

Argie  

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 01:07

Argie:

The Pextax DCF SP's are a nice set of binoculars.  As far as weight goes. a good binocular harness instead of those neckstaps makes all the difference. 

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Argie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 01:14
I'll try to get one. But living here in the end of the world, it ain't easy.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 00:52

And as much difference as you found betwen the 30 and 43mm lenses will you find betwen 43 and 50mm lenses.......

Regards TEchnika

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic