OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sniper scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joesfasthonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sniper scopes
    Posted: September/30/2007 at 18:21
i am looking to buy a good dependibale long range scope but my funds are limited i can spend no more than 700$ i have been looking at the super sniper fixed 10x with side varibale adj. and the burris fixed 10x and i was woundering if any 1 could give me some advise on these scopes and or other scopes that are in my price range that would be the best ones i know that burris scopes are good quility but i would rather go cheaper if i could get good qulity and i am kind of scared of the super sniper because of the price i dont want to wast the money if it is no good i cant aford that the scope is going to go on my panther arms ar15 i am open for sugestions on any and all scopes in my price rang that r a fixed power not to high no more thane 16x and have clear optics and dont have to worry about the cross hairs moving on me when they are not suposed to      
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 20:55

You can relax the super sniper is excellent quality for what it costs. There are some other options that you have not considered and I will paste a few for you.

604230 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                      IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $534.95
More Info... Buy Now

This 6x42 scope has a 7mm exit eye pupil and that makes it as bright of a scope as it is possible to make.

251142 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
SWFA: $764.95
More Info... Buy Now

This is a aprticularly useful scope for an AR-15 since the .223 doesnt merrit more than 10 power as it is quite useless at long distance due to its lack of energy and relatively light bullet, best use is under 300 yds.

LEU59100 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T Riflescope                                                                                 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Special Purpose Reticle
  • 1"
SWFA: $599.95
More Info...

LEU56130 Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $789.95
More Info...

11972 Aimpoint CompM4 30mm Red Dot Sight

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TGVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 21:10

In a word. Acog. In more than a word. Acog 4-32 Marine corps version. If you need more, go to 07April2005 post by Mithran/Acogs and read the post's Other than that, 2.7-8 would be a good choice for a varible by various makers. Save your devalued greenbacks for a good scope, you'll be glad you did. I'm no expert, just living by my experiences and those of others. Your best bet is to keep reading and researching as much as you can and aviod the F'ups by others, including myself have made. Don't be in a hurry for a "cheap deal" scope. Very limited in reality.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 09:24

Lets jump in and look at the fixed power vs variable power issue here. Generally speeking there are less parts or at least less moving parts in a fixed power which means less things to go wrong but the tactical  scopes by Super Sniper, Leupold, IOR, Aimpoint and Trijicon  (and a few others that are lots more money) are all tough scopes regardless of if they are fixed or variable. The big advantage of a variable power scope is that you can have a high magnification and use it in bright daylight then turn it down to a lower power so it will gather more light at night or turn it down to a lower power so you have a wider field of view for things that are closer and faster action.

If the gun was a combat gun the Trijicon ACOG scopes might be a useful choice as they are quite compact however I suspect it is not therefore my recomendation is buy the the IOR 2.5-10x42 and mount it with badger ordnance rings or if you must have a fixed power buy the 6x42 IOR or the 10x42 Super Sniper and mount them with badger rings. I will note that 10x is a bit much for anything under 100 yds.  Note these are tactical scopes suitable for law enforcement designated marksman operations and depending on your use of the rifle some traditional hunting scopes may be quite adequate and a lot less money.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 12:07

Hey Joes, WELCOME.

Urimaginary, has some good recommendations, I wouldn't be worried about the SS, It is a good scope. might not be what you want though. take the time to let everyone know what exactly you're looking to do. Long range can mean a variety of applications. Then there's your own preference as well.

You could also look at the Millett TRS-2, it's a fixed 10x 50mm, but I'm thinking you may want to stay with a smaller Objective. 40-42mm. Either way you have alot of good choices available to you. Good luck

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 12:31

Excellent advise offered by all.

With a $700 budget, I think I'd opt for a variable.

Ufriend's nailed it with the IOR 2.5-10 with the MP-8 reticle suggestion and his explaination is spot on too!!

Welcome to Optics Talk!!     

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
remmylite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remmylite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 13:05

i just got my IOR 10x42 and it feels like it is well worth the money, its substantial, i spent more than i wanted too, but now i feel good knowing that its not going to fail, id rather spend double the money now and get a solid product than 300 on something that i feel is fragile and im going to worry about breaking. i dont have a ton of experience with optics but i can recognize quality engineering and craftsman ship when i see it. good luck.

TGVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 10:02
Now if I can just find the new 3-18x42 35mm LR for under 1200. So far, 1255.  Gota be one out there somewhere somehow.. Argh!!
tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 10:25
I have a SS16X with Badger mounts on my .308 Rem700P and prefer it over the 10x although I realize I am in the minority. I can get it to focus fine under 100 yards and can still have the long distance option. You have to be sure you focus the parallax for short distances but when you do the field becomes crystal clear. I plan to post pics of my gun when I learn how to to the hi tech camera stuff.
TGVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 11:11

A digital cam is best. If not, 1-hour photo developer like Rite-Aid or another pharmacy type store that does 35mm film can or should also offer a disc for a little more. Other than that, you'll need to scan the pic's. If you buy a digital, mine is a Kodak from Costco which came with all the goodies for downloading to my computer. Very simple picture program. Just make a folder on your computer named whatever you want to call it, i.e. My Guns or whatever, download/transfer those photos to that location/file. Once that is done you are then ready to do just about anything with them. then

In the post reply space, adjacent to and to the far right of the  Font Type and Font Size selection's, you'll see a little yellow square. When you move your pointer to it, it will say Image Upload, click on that and then Browse will pop up which means, it is asking from where you want to get your foto to be uploaded from, usually your "documents file" might automatically be chosen, but you'll have the option to scroll to your location on your PC where you keep/saved photos at. Always make sure you save your photos as a JPEG or GIF images when you transfer images from your digital camera, etc. to your computer. PDD types will not transfer as images and instead will be data files with no image.. The rest is pretty self explanitory from that point.

I tried to give you a condensed and simple instruction on "how to's", and hope the above is comprehend'e.. To some, never having done this before can seem real foriegn, it did for me way back when... 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic