OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me decide on a Kahles scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me decide on a Kahles scope
    Posted: September/30/2007 at 08:59
It will be going on a TC Pro Hunter in .280 rem. I have narrowed my choice to the....
1) Kahles 2.5-10x50 Helia C 30mm Riflescope
2) Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Riflescope
I don't think there is a difference in the glass or coatings from what I have read here? But there is a difference in the field of view & twilight factor with the "C" line being better. I am not too concerned with the focal plane or the 30mm-1" tubes. I want the best glass optically and best low light performance for whitetail hunting in SW Georgia.
Both of these are on the Sample List.

Thanks

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 19:46
I just bought a "like new" 2.5-10X50 CB (same scope as the "C" except with lit reticle) off the Sample List because I just couldn't ignore the price.  In short, it's a great scope, basically on par with my Zeiss Diavari V 2.5-10X50, though I haven't done a side by side comparison yet.  I haven't seen the CL, but those who have say it is on par optically with the C.  The CL has side focus; the C doesn't, if that matters to you.  Personally, for whitetail, I'd go with the C because I believe the FFP reticle is superior in low light since you can make it appear bolder by dialing up the power a little. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Plumbergeek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 20:12
Thanks for responding RifleDude!
I believe the "C" will be the one for me as I really do not need the side focus also, I would like to try a FFP scope. Does anyone have a ring/base recommendation for the Pro Hunter using the Kahles 50mm?

Edited by Plumbergeek
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 21:09

Luepold dual dovetail 30mm rings and Leupold dual dovetail Encore one piece base.

If it was a 1 inch tube I might say the Burris dual dovetail and DD Signature rings which can easily be adjusted up to 20 moa plus or minus and dont mark the scope, but for 30mm Leupold is the ticket.  Do not go with the quick release style I have had them fail. These light guns using heavy cartridges and heavy scopes have a lot of punch and the dual dovetail takes the beating quite well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 06:57
Thanks, I think I have the Leupold dual 30mm rings in my gun case,
Mike
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 08:19
Plumber,

I have a C 3-12X56 and a CL 4-12X52 multizer0.  Both scopes are excellent.  I like the 3-12X56 better because of the FFP reticle and the fact that it is a little bit brighter.  I will recommend that you give the 3-12X56 a try you might like it better b/c the higher magnification.   If you don't need it then you have already made an excellent choice.  The resolution on these scopes is incredible.  You will love either one and you will not be disappointed.

As far as the mounts, I use the Leuopld Dovetail mounts, they work very well I haven't had any problems.   I think that the best mounts money can buy are Talley mounts though, they are the cadillac of mounts.  Good Luck.
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 15:45
I really wanted to keep the combo a little lighter so I got the 50mm Helia C. I got rid of my Weatherby Accumark 7mm STW with a Leupold LPS 3.5x14x52 because it was TOO heavy for the type of hunting I do now. The scope will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to testing it out! I hope it will be better than the LPS I had.
Mike
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 18:52

I'd buy the 1) Kahles 2.5-10x50 Helia C 30mm Riflescope.

Its going to be brighter in low light. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:15
That's the one I will be receiving tommorrow!
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic