OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springfield M1A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield M1A
    Posted: September/28/2007 at 20:45

well iv been looking at the remington 700p for long range shooting...i was talkin to someone the mentioned the springfield m1a...can i get 1000 yards out of the .308 m1a...and how are the springfield scopes...

thanks guys

-Shaine-
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 23:55

Yes you can get 1000 yards from an M1A.  But you'll have to address all the bullets "General Delivery"

The SPringfield scopes have undergone dramatic improvement recently.............................they're no longer sold.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 10:44
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Yes you can get 1000 yards from an M1A.  But you'll have to address all the bullets "General Delivery"

The SPringfield scopes have undergone dramatic improvement recently.............................they're no longer sold.

Mike's right, as usual. You want a bolt gun. Some guys shoot M1As in "service rifle" matches where only certain types of firearms are allowed. They seem to need constant tuning and bedding work to stay competitive, and even with that, seldom shoot as well as a good boltgun.

I don't know anything about Springfield scopes, but that's a funny comment regarding the "dramatic improvement"!

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 11:29

That is funny, Mike!

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 15:06

Great stuff Mike.

ST4SNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST4SNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 00:52
The M1A has a lot of variables to address, but once corrected make a fine piece. Try talking with Clint, he's been making them work for a while.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

ST4SNIPER
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 10:04

Originally posted by ST4SNIPER ST4SNIPER wrote:

The M1A has a lot of variables to address, but once corrected make a fine piece. Try talking with Clint, he's been making them work for a while.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

ST4SNIPER

You are correct, of course, to a point . The M!A is a tough and reliable battle rifle, and I didn't intend to disparage it. It is also fun to shoot, with low recoil and excellent handling characteristics. For truly fine accuracy, they do require a lot more attention than a bolt gun and if you intend to use optics, the mounting arrangements tend to be a bit cumbersome. Fulton Armory has an excellent reputation for work on them.

For slow-fire work at 1000, the bolt gun recommendation stands, though.

ST4SNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST4SNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 20:34
Agreed, I posses both specimans and the nod definitely goes to the bolt, however if you need a fast repeat or need to engage multiple targets the semi is handy. So in the end it's what your
needs dictate all things being equal not everyone has the capability to take advantage of the additional precision at 1000yds that a bolt gun provides nor do they really need it. I was just
offering up Fulton Armory as general info for perusal.

ST4SNIPER
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 22:06

Originally posted by ST4SNIPER ST4SNIPER wrote:

Agreed, I posses both specimans and the nod definitely goes to the bolt, however if you need a fast repeat or need to engage multiple targets the semi is handy. So in the end it's what your
needs dictate all things being equal not everyone has the capability to take advantage of the additional precision at 1000yds that a bolt gun provides nor do they really need it. I was just
offering up Fulton Armory as general info for perusal.

ST4SNIPER

Completely understood AND appreciated!

Edited by RONK
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 19:48

Well in the interest of comaradery, sportsmanship, and well........outright selfishness I bought a Supermatch this afternoon.

Did I mention it's my second favorite rifle of all time?

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 22:06

Well in the interest of comaradery, sportsmanship, and well........outright selfishness I bought a Supermatch this afternoon.

Did I mention it's my second favorite rifle of all time?

Well, Mike, if you were REALLY interested in comaradery and sportsmanship, you'd buy me one, too! Thanks in advance!

signed,

Your New Best Friend ( and not ANIMAGINARYONE, either !!),

Ron

ST4SNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST4SNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 00:20
Well can't go wrong with that, enjoy!

ST4SNIPER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic