OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mouser action.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mouser action.
    Posted: September/28/2007 at 14:42

i

I have acquired a Mouser 98 action off an ww2 gun. I知 not sure what caliber it is but I知 thinking it might be a 7mm.

I'm going to clean it up replace all springs. lap the bolt lugs, bend the bolt and sweep it. I知 going to make a heavy 308

out of it.

Has anyone ever worked one of these action or willing to give up some helpful info on it?I fliped the bottom pic it looks strange but i can't fix it back right yet.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 14:43

Fixed it.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 18:09

Tagged!!

Cool rifle!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 21:40
not be a smart ass, but its actually a mauser not a mouser, a mouser where i come from eats mice has whiskers and goes meow at the back door after a successful hunt and poops in a box full of floor dry like material.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 21:50
Good luck with your project, Bigdaddy, it looks like you have some work to do. There is nothing wrong with the 7x57 you have, I wish mine was. It is an 8x57 and is my U.P. beater gun. I can take my 94 Winchester or my 98 in the truck whenever I travel. The Mauser almost always gets the nod, no glass on either one.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 11:36
Well, it depends on how much time and money you want to put into the project.  Obviously you are going to need to re-barrel the rifle and this can be done inexpensively or expensively, Adams and Bennet versus Shilen etc.  You can get the barrel in a .308 caliber or ream it yourself, cheapest to get in that caliber.  I assume you do not own a lathe.  The bolt face will need to be re-worked for a .308 and then once that is all said and done, the headspace will need to be checked.  That is the brief version of what will take awhile to re-work your rifle into a .308, and that is not counting if you want to re-stock the rifle.  Synthetic easy, wood, more time.  Good luck.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 12:34
Good luck on that project.  I have a Mauser 98 Military matched with a barrel out of Austria (270, just so Pyro can rant again).  Shoots like a dream.  Only thing I would recommend is replacing that safety.  Gets in the way if you want to put a scope on.  Other than that, I really like those actions.  Shouldn't be too hard to find the replacement parts to take the safety off of the bolt.  Plus I think it looks better without the safety up there.  Have fun with it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 17:45
Check the caliber by measuring the bore diameter or check for markings.  It should be either 30 caliber or 8mm.  I would also replace the firing pin a spring, trigger and as previously noted the safety.  If it is a 30 caliber, I would still replace the barrel.  Personally, I cannot stand the look of a turned down Mauser bolt and would replace it, but that is your call.  A Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block is a great stock and is one of the least expensive of those of that type.  For this type of project, it really depends on how far you want to go.  Most of it you can do yourself, with the exception of adjusting for proper headspace.  If their is excessive headspace, you will need to removed material from the end of the barrel with a lathe, if their is not enough headspace, then the barrel chamber will need to be extended with a reamer.  The latter can be done with hand tools, but need to be purchased or borrowed, to included not only the reamer, but the reamer tool.  All of these are available from Brownells.  As far as parts, Numrich has everything you will need.  Rifle-Accuracy will have the best prices on Bell and Carlson stocks.  Jigs for tap and drilling for scope mounts, are also available from Brownells.  Let us know how it goes and provide some pics.  By the way, if you want a 99% semi-inletted wooden stock, from a variety of woods of various grades or laminates, check out Richards Micro-Fit Stocks.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 19:24

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Good luck on that project.  I have a Mauser 98 Military matched with a barrel out of Austria (270, just so Pyro can rant again).  Shoots like a dream.  Only thing I would recommend is replacing that safety.  Gets in the way if you want to put a scope on.  Other than that, I really like those actions.  Shouldn't be too hard to find the replacement parts to take the safety off of the bolt.  Plus I think it looks better without the safety up there.  Have fun with it.

i dont rant, prefer to call it educating the masses, its time other worthy calibers get some deserved attention

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 19:26
getting a stock built for it is an option too

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2007 at 22:10

Your mauser is a K98, the code bcd means it was made at the Gustloff Werke Weimer factory there should be a date code on the barrel IE 42, 44 etc. I would guess that it is in 8X57 .323 caliber.

HTH

Ron

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 10:06

Lots of suggestions.  By the time you get through, the rifle may be like the legendary genuine Revolutionary War tomahawk that was passed down through the family from generation to generation.  They had only replaced the handle three times, and the blade twice. 

(The original version of this story may be somewhere in the Dixie Gun Works catalog.)

kazijoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2007 at 19:58
If you have the complete rifle, it may be worth more than buying an already done 308 would cost you.
A Savage 110 or Remington 700 in excellent used condition will probably cost less than a 50% condition
K98 will bring. Reenactors and collectors are paying very well for functional K98s and you would not be
destroying a piece of WW II history. You could easily spend over $1000 converting that 98 and never get
back 50% if you tried to sell it.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:13

Yeah actually I do have a lathe in the shop Gunsmithing shop I work at so that痴 not a problem. As for caliber it is an 8MM.i will be replacing all bolt parts with new and up date. As for the barrel I have decided witch I want yet. I want it heavy I知 looking for something around 10 pounds with a 1 and 10 twist. I will be putting in a timney trigger. And for the stock I have been looking at a heavy wood stock with a v fore grip and thumbhole. this will be my first build up project. this is something that the smith I知 helping wants me to do. After the 98 is done he wants me to do a remmy. So basically I知 still green at this but have some knowledge going into it. Right now I have cleaned just about every part to every gun that is commonly used for shooting or hunting. I have installed a few muzzle brakes and stood in front of a sand blaster cleaning for bluing countless hours and some other odd痴 and ends.

I知 learning thanks for the input.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2007 at 14:38
I wish had a lathe.  The custom rifles I have done and the one that I am presently working on, have not required the use of one, as I have used barreled actions, but I still would have liked to have the ability to have maybe re-barreled them if I wanted.  Fortunately, all the barrels were in good condition.  I just received the equivalent of a borescope, but better.  A friend of mine is a urologist and he gave me 3 uroscopes, two rigid (one with a straight viewing port, the other with a 45 degree angle viewing port) and a flexible scope, with an Olympus light source.  The rigid scope work great and you get a wonderful look at the lands and grooves on barrels up to about 36 inch barrels, going in from both ends.  The flexible scope is great for checking out the chamber and for throat erosion.  Its a great addition to the shop.  The barrel on the present action is in pristine condition.  I am almost finished, having cleaned, polished, re-worked, lapped, blued, trued, replaced (and re-finshised the replaced parts, as well as blueing them), bedding and finishing the stock.  I plan to post a picture of the rifle, with a Leupold VX-II 3x9 mounted on it, when I am finished.  (Hopefully with a target with an excellent grouping).
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 13:10

I keep wondering about trying to find on of those 'mini-lathes'. But, I already have too many projects.

Just do us a favor and post a few 'work in progress' pics for us. It is amazing what you learn when you see not just what the other person did, but *how* they did it. Creative use of tools and all that...
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2007 at 14:49

Gray,

I will post some pictures of the project during construction.

We have a big lathe and a small lathe. The bigger one works better for most of the work we do. The smaller one run痴 out of adjustment about the time it is needed most.

I need to take some pictures of the shop so ya値l will believe we have all this stuff to work on gun. I never in a million years thought it would take some many dang tools.

At the end of December when we can get the safe to fewer than 150 guns that痴 there for cleaning and or repairs we are going to build a 6 sided updraft table. This will help a lot during me refinishing stocks. But anyway enough of me blabbing.

smithrjd,

The barrel has   L 1 9 wrote on it.i haven't had time to reserch it but is there any meaning to it?I'm really not worried about it. i'm going to rebarrel it anyway but i would still like to know if you know right of the top of your head.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2007 at 07:30

this the the shop and a toy if have had for a long time.Its a 45-70 from 1885.Its a springfield with a trap door.

This is some shop pic's

The guy at the desk is danny.he is the guy that is teaching me the trade.he's a good guy with alot of knowledge.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic