OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1 Mile Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13 L A C K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 Mile Scope
    Posted: September/27/2007 at 22:37
I am looking for some opinions on a scope for a .338 lapua mag, It will be used to shoot big whitetail at about 200yards or more and target shooting out to 1500-1700yards, dont really have a budget. I have been thinking about a us optics scope. What are best rings and bases to hold up against the recoil? I believe i need about 72-76 MOA to get to 1760. Thanks for any help.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 12:59

http://usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN9-2200

I submit this link in the form of a question..........I have never used, nor have I ever seen a USO

SN-9. May not be a viable option for you, friend. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 17:25

I have a Zeiss ZF 6-24x72 on mine, but a SuB 5-25 is also very interesting.

I have had a USO, never again, not at all impressed.

Only thing that made an impression on me was the price.

Regards Technika

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 18:07

My experience with US Optics is the exact opposite as Technika's.

My SN-3 was incredibly reliable and optically superb. Also, I had a slight issue with the scope upon purchase and was treated VERY well by John Williams III himself.  

Try calling Zeiss, S&B, or anyones CS dept and see if the CEO answers the phone..... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sakosf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakosf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 18:13
13 L A C K View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13 L A C K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 23:41
Thanks for all the opinion guys, i will do some more studying and reading on these scopes.
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 08:41
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 20:40

Have you already purchased the rifle? I considered a 338 LM and decided that I would be better off with a 300 win mag custom built by GAPrecision. I am not really trying to go much past 1000 yds as that is the longest range I have access to and Army limits what can be used on that particular range.  338LM and 50BMg are a no go there. You may be best served by a scope with lots of internal adjustment, the ones that come to mind are Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark4 which has 100 moa of internal adjustment, The Super Sniper 10x seems to have as much possibly more. There are some Nightforce scopes that have more than a hundred but 56mm objectives are really big. USO is a possible if you can stand the wait, S&B is a possible if you can stand the price its like buying three good scopes, The Zeiss is a possible but they dont make the same things here that they offer in Europe - their Heinsoldt 4-16x56 is like an ideal scope but good luck trying to get one. Very tough decision, I know as I as struggling with an optics choice for my 300 Win Mag. - highly probable that I will put on Leupolds not yet released 6.5-20x50 FFP Mk4, only thing is it doesnt have more than about 60 moa of internal adjustment so not sure if that is enough with the plus 20moa base on my gun. Always nice to have more available adjustment than you really need - which brings us full circle back to the 4.5-14x50 Leupold Mark 4.  because pretty as it is

Diavari V 6-24x56T*
Windage Adjust. Range (inches at 100 yds)
Elevation Adjust. Range (inches at 100 yds)
 which is simply not enough adjustment but the Rapid Z1000 reticle makes up for a lot of that and is worth a look.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 22:06

I'm a huge USO fan, never anything but the best experiences; however, I too am a huge SWFA fan and they don't sell USO here.

And, as yet, no one has stated the obvious: S&B 5-15x56.  If I had an unlimited budget (and didn't like USO), I'd buy this.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6866-284-schmidt-bender-5-25x56-polic e-marksman-lp-34mm-riflescope.aspx

The Zeiss would be a great choice too.

I am always a little suprised to see someone post these types of questions regarding 1200+ yard shooting.  Generally, the guys I've know that shoot well at those ranges do not need to ask such basic questions.  Are you new to extreme long range or jsut wanting to know what those here familair with  these issues would recommend?

I've taken a few 1,000 yard shots and it ain't like what you see in the movies and it ain't like a 100 yard shot just smaller - it is a whole new game.

I'd say S&B or Zeiss.  And be advised, a fart by a native on the other side of the globe is enough to take you off paper at 1,700 yards.  And at $4 -7/round, don't miss much.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 22:40

Originally posted by 13 L A C K 13 L A C K wrote:

I am looking for some opinions on a scope for a .338 lapua mag, It will be used to shoot big whitetail at about 200yards or more.

Those whitetail you hunt must be the size of a '72 Pontiac!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 13:59
"overkill" would be an understatement.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 16:50
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And be advised, a fart by a native on the other side of the globe is enough to take you off paper at 1,700 yards.

You sure do have a way with words, my friend!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic