OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

remmy 700p

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remmy 700p
    Posted: September/27/2007 at 15:29

well iv been looking which to buy a savage or a remington...well i decided...im goin with the remington 700p in a.308 im prob goin to go with a supersniper and most likely goin to get the 10 round clip like the m24 has...

whats everyone think

be honest.lol

-Shaine-
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by bigpapa4045 bigpapa4045 wrote:

most likely goin to get the 10 round clip like the m24 has...

whats everyone think

be honest.lol

CLIP?!?!?!?! DONT YOU MEAN MAGAZINE?!?!?!?

You maggot!! Drop and give me 50!! 

Just kidding about the "give me 50" deal. I do hate the term "clip" when someone means magazine though. Nails on chalkboard.........

Good choice on rifle!! Carry on!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 21:27

700 is a better rifle, in my opinion.  I own several.  Savage ain't bad, but 700 is better.

Good choice.  And if you don't reload, might I recommend Black Hills 175-grain BTHP moly coats.  My 700PSS loves them, they shoot between 1/2 and 1/3MOA consistently - when I do my part.

Enjoy.

And don't get cheap mounts.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 21:33
I owned a 110FP before my 700P.  It was VERY accurate but was lacking in the trigger department.  This was 1991 and years before all the options available today.  The Rem was the way to go back then as the stock trigger could be tuned for a small fee (Ted Yost did mine at the Gunsite custom shop while I was there in 1997) after I ditched my Savage in 1996.  Today the story is different, the Savage has a nicer stock than the first-gen one I owned and more options for scope mounts and triggers.  I still love my 700P because the H-S stock fits me like a dream.  I toyed with sending it off to Robar for a "magazine" conversion but the cost was too rich for my blood.  I went with the Armstech magazine extension that allows 7 rounds plus one and I've had no issues....and it makes the 700P look a little SSG which is cool.  Save your money and don't bother with upgrading the magazine to a detachable 10rd affair and put the money into better glass and decent mounts/rings and if you need more rounds look at Armstech, or I believe Ergogrip is making one as well now
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 08:59

"Save your money and don't bother with upgrading the magazine to a detachable 10rd affair and put the money into better glass and decent mounts/rings and if you need more rounds"

I agree^^^^^^Unless your going to have people shooting back. By all means get a bunch of magazines.

I have found Remington Premier Match 168 gr to be insanely accurate in my Remington 700 SPS-V / SS10x42

Edited by Remington700VS
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 19:39
The 10 round magazine set up is nice

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
vikingshelmut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikingshelmut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 20:02
I'm in the same boat as bigpapa, looking at either a 700p or the 10fcp-hs. I like that the 700p has so many options (extended mags, triggers, yada) but don't really like the
stock it comes with so I'd probably sell it and get a different one. On the other hand, with the 10fcp-hs I can easily add tacticool knob, it already has a 5 rnd detachable mag
(no 10 rounders) and has the HS precision stock I like.

To be honest, if I was going price no object, I'd start with the 700p and spend a lot of money on it. The Savage seems like a less expensive route for those of us who don't
plan on doing a lot of mods.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2007 at 20:49

If someone is actively shooting back, I would prefer my FAL with Aimpoint M2 or a M240B.   I think it's cool the 700P can now be had with a tan H-S stock plus all the new cartridge options.....I think without going to at least a 10rd capacity, DM mags are a bit of a waste...I thoroughly dislike the Factory remington ones because it much easy to single load a traditional magazine (don't have to be careful to drop the round between the taller feed lips....I'm thinking if you really need more than 7-10 rounds....it's time to get something that self-loads.

What would get my motor running is for Remington to re-engineer the 700P into an affordable 338 Lapua.....the long action is long enough for the 338 RUM so why not expand the bottom end for the fatter Lapua cartridges?...I imagine they wouldn't have the incentive to do so unless they decided to start selling the ammo (unlikely) but frankly I would jump on a Savage if they did the same....I just don't see dropping the money for a AI 338 Lapua.....Rem also needs to make a 260 Rem 700P....they're not doing themselves any favors by not marketing their own cartridge in the 700P....by gosh someone needs to make an affordable 338 Lapua...that's the only way I'd be able to afford the ammo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 11:46
Sand, I'm no smith, but I would guess a long-action could be re-barreled and re-champbered for a .338, could it not?  New barrel: $200-600 (depending on name on the barrel.)  A good smith can do it for about $200 I'd guess. Personally, I own a 300MW  and, should I decide to go bigger, will simply drop the $$ on a 50cal - ammo costs roughly the same.  If you cannot own a 50 because you live in the People's Republic of California, I pity you, buy a .338.

And to anyone looking to get into a 700P or Savage: get what you want and shoot the hell out of it before you start pumping additional cash into it.  There is a reason people buy high-dollar guns from custom shops: when you lay out the cash, you get a gun that will shoot great.  I've seen a few 700Ps in my day that couldn't do better than 1 MOA with best ammo, best shooter, best optics.  There is a reason the gun is $700.  Most times, you get a solid deal on a great gun, sometimes you get a decent deal on a decent gun: shoot the piss outta the thing before you invest in better trigger, stock upgrade, etc.

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 12:45
Amen....apparently the issue is with the "fatness" of the case...I've only started doing some reading on it lately...it is only a pipedream at this point as I need to finish my G1 FAL-build (using the leftover parts from my current Congo-length which I'm ordering the Para parts for) and buy a SW 329PD (mostly for shooting my 44spl handloads...I hear it's punishing with magnums).  The 700P or tactical savages shoot great with the right ammo...I would not consider replacing the barrel on either until accuracy degrades and while I would kill for a ParkerHale M85 or Robar M14-type mag converted 700, I would not waste the money on them when compared to the other two initiatives above.  They say to beware of the man who only owns one gun because he may know how to use it, but I've seen a diferent phenom where guys will drop a lot of money into one gun until they get bored with it, then sell it at a loss to jump on the next fad....in the end someone else benefits assuming they have upgraded wisely and done good maintenance....it's really parallel to how some "car guys" are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 13:33
I have a 700PSS in .308 that started out as a project several years ago - I paid $650.00 for it.

I broke the barrel in right, liked the accuracy, had a local smith swap out the trigger (to a Timney, which I really like), changed the stock to a AICS 1.5, changed the bolt handle to a Badger tactical, refinished in teflon, topped it with Badger rail, Badger rings, and Nightforce 3.5-15 NXS. 
With Black Hills 175-gr. molys, it will easily print a 3-inch, 5-shot group at 600 yards, and has printed several 5-shot groups at 300 yards that measured just over 1 inch (and a few where one flier opened it up to 1.5 inches but 4 shots were one ragged hole less than .75 inches edge to edge.)

Likewise, I have a friend who bought the same PSS in .308, topped it with the same Nightforce and badger mounts, fires the same Black Hills 175-gr. BTHP molys, and struggles to shoot 1 MOA at any range - and I cannot shoot it better than 1 MOA.  His bore was broken in "right", everything is as it should be, his simply isn't as accurate as mine - luck of the draw. 

I've had guys on the local 600-yard range offer me $5,000+ for my set-up, not because they liked the rig, but because they thought, in their hands, it would do the same thing.  Much of a project gun is love and time and energy, some is luck.  The gun shoots .5 to .3 MOA consistently, and it has most of its service life.  And, truth be told, if it were still that same $650 gun, rem trigger, original stock, etc, it would probably still shoot just as good.

Buy the rifle of your choosing, shoot it to make sure it meets your needs, then spend money on it.  Otherwise, pony up $3,000, buy a GAP, and know it will shoot dead-nutz from day one: there are few other good options in this game.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic