OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I got a new Toy!...need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I got a new Toy!...need help
    Posted: October/07/2004 at 16:14

Winchester Model 70 Coyote in 243 win.  I want to make this a coyote/prarieDog gun.  I'm thinking....

Burris FF2 4.5x14x42 Ballistic plex

Elite 4200  4x16

Weaver V16

???????????

What would you guys get in the price range of these scopes?

Thanks

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2004 at 20:09

The Elite is the best, but I would not feel bad about saving a few bucks on the Fullfield II.  I would stay away from the fixed 16X.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2004 at 22:30
The V16 ( 4-16 ) would be my last choice of the three. It's not a bad scope and it tracks well, but the optics will be the weak link compared to the other two you mentioned. The Elite would be my first choice and the Burris would not be a big sacrifice.
BOLIO1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 14:00
thanks for the thoughts.  I own two FF2s and could not be happier with them.  The Elite would be a welcomed addition to my little firearm family.  I'm so tight I squeak!  I'll try and talk myself into the Elite, but will end up buying the Burris.  
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 15:55

if money is a problem, you'll be happy with the burris.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2004 at 00:05
I have a 4.5-14 Ball Plex-- it's a fine scope. BUT if you're interested in going LR with that rig, i'd go with the Ballistic Mil-Dot instead, since it gives u 6 reference stadia along the vertical axis to 14.5 MOA trajectory compensatioin-- that's what i'd use with a 24 cal. that has the ability to reach out there (with the highest BC pure varmint bullet made-- the 87 V-Max). Besides that the windage reference is nice with the mil-dots, and can provide excellent optical rangefinding capability as well.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic