OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a 340 Weatherby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a 340 Weatherby
    Posted: September/27/2007 at 00:24

I am hoping someone will have some information on good scope choices for the 340 Weatherby Cartridge. I found a good used Accumark that has 30mm rings with it already, but don't know what to put on it. I have looked at about all the major brands and there are frankly too many choices to decide. My main concerns are: 1. Eye relief, 2. glass quality, 3. durability, and 4.price. I know excellent glass is expensive: however, I really don't want to spend over $1000 if I don't have to and would rather keep it WELL below that. I have even considered changing out the rings for 1" since I am not convinced that there is any real advantage to the 30mm tubes. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Elk

"The only way out is through"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 04:15

Welcome to The OT!

I believe you would be better served selecting a scope and then let that decision dictate what rings you go with.

I have a whole drawer full of used rings of all sorts..... 

That said, what brand and height of rings are on it? Maybe we can scope this rifle and leave the rings that are on it.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1967-219-nikon-15-6x42-monarch-gold-3 0mm-riflescope.aspx

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 05:35

If you want to keep the 30mm rings a Kahles 1.5-6x42 would work nice on your rifle. The price here:

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false

is good and includes warranty. The optics are excellent, the scope looks good and they are extremely tough.

Welcome to O.T.

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 07:46

+1 on the Kahles.  The Samplelist just received a ton of them and some of them are an awesome value.  To the extent you want to go to 1", go with the CL line.  That is what I have on my primary hunting rifle and I couldn't be happier.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 07:54

The new Nikon Monarch are supposed to have 4 in. eye relief as does the Ziess. I would want good eye relief on a 340 Weatherby black eyes are hard to explane sometimes.

Duce

Duce
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 08:53

You can my scope, it would be perfect....Just need to get new rings and you'll be good to go. It has 70 MOA adjustment.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7821&PN=1

Laughing Elk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 09:56

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it. I have looked at the Kahles, as well as the Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold, Burris, Meopta, Valdada, Nikon, and even Night Force. As I listed on my original post, my number one concern is eye relief. I am figuring it needs at a minimum 3.5 inches and preferably 4 inches throughout the power range. It's not just the black eye, but the semicircular cut on the eyebrow that is tough to explain.

There are 30mm high rings on the rifle now. I don't have a problem getting new rings for it and like I said, I don't believe the 30mm tube adds much if anything to the optics quality. To further clarify, I am looking for an adjustable power scope in either a 2-3x lower range and a high magnification range of 12 to 14. From what I have read, the Kahles would be a good choice as would any of the brands listed above, although I have heard some people question the quality of Burris. The NIkon has 4" of eye relief all through the power range as well. Most of the others have around 3.5".

I will check out the samplelist.com site and see what they have. I appreciate the lead. Any other information or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Elk

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 09:59

Sorry, one more question....

First or second focal plane?

Elk

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 11:12

Laughing Elk -

You are correct, a 30 mm vs 1" tube will do nothing for you in terms of optical quality.  Given your high-end mangification requirements, you may benefit from the greater adjustment range the 30 mm offers, however.

If you want 2-3x on the low side and 10-12x on the high side, I think the Swarovski Z6 2-12 would be the ideal choice for you.  The scope is simply phenomenal.  This is a SFP recticle, which I have a preference for.  Lots of guys like a FFP recticle however, particularly when targeting larger game.

ND2000

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

black eyes are hard to explane sometimes.

Duce

Depends who your partner is

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 18:02

Tahqua, why do I get an image of Marjorie Maine and Percy Kilbride (Ma & Pa Kettle) from that comment?

Anyway, ND2000 thanks for the recommendation on the Swarovski Z6. While I have no doubt that you are absolutely right - it is the ideal choice - I think I would probably end up with a black eye (or worse) from my partner if she found out how much it cost! The explanation would be simple.

Other suggestions would be very welcome.

Elk

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 20:16
I understand.  If that is the case, I would strongly recommend Kahles.  You ought to be able to get a 2.5-10 or 3-12 for a very reasonable price on the SampleList right now.  They just got a whole bunch of demo models in and there are some great prices to be had.  Perhaps something like this for $650...

8295Kahles 3-10x50 CL51722, Matte finish, 4A reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye peice, close to new condition. $1,104.00 $649.95
ND2000
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 22:01

ND2000, Thanks. I saw those there. In fact, I was delighted to find the Samples site. I don't need to have 'brand new' equipment especially if I can get a significant discount on something that has had minimal use and still has its warranty. Demo and sample equipment is just fine with me.

Anyway, thanks. The Kahles is an excellent choice. I was also looking at the Leupolds - particularly the VX-L's - and the Nikon Monarch Golds. Do you have any information or opinion on those two scopes? Nice thing about the Monarchs is the eye relief.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Elk

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 22:28

Okay, one or two more things...On the Kahles, Is it worth paying extra for the multizero scope? Also, what about the Zeiss Conquest series?

Thanks

Elk

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 06:21
conquest is a good scope but the kahles would be very hard to beat for the dollar
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 07:08

I have a VX-L I bought off the sample list on a Browning A-bolt, no complaints very clear and repeteable adjustments.

I like the scope and use it for varmint hunting & target.

Duce 

Duce
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 07:45

Elk -

The Zeiss Conquest is a good scope.  Very good value.  I am strongly considering getting one for a .22.

The value of the Multizero is largely a function of the the distance you'll be shooting, IMO.  If you think you'll typically shoot to 400 yards, then I think it would be good because you could set it to 50, 100, 200, 300 & 400.  Anything 300 or inside and I'd probably pass.  People have been having some issues with the Multizero feature as well...I think because sometimes one of the settings will in fact lose their zero.  This problem may be more worrysome for you given the gun you want to put it on.

ND2000

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laughing Elk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 08:42

Thanks to you all. I am a believer in taking high percentage shots. Once you get out beyond 400 yards, the wind can have a greater effect. If your shot drifts and hits non-vitals, then you can have big problems. It is also a distance that I (personally) have a difficult time getting practice at. At my local range I can only practice out to 300. I hunt in the desert and we do a lot of spot and stalk, but most shots taken are still within 250 yards. Sometimes there's a rest and sometimes not. Most of us carry shooting sticks for that reason.

Sounds like I have three or four excellent choices between the Kahles, the Zeiss, the Leupold and the Nikon. Sounds like that's probably the order as well. Regardless, thanks again.

Elk

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2007 at 10:26

Elk,

I've used all four of the scopes you mention.  Personally, my first choice would be the Kahles.  If I wanted to save a little money, I would get the Conquest.

I use a Kahles on my elk rifle.

Steve

Edited by Wally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic