OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

simmons pro-air

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simmons pro-air
    Posted: September/27/2007 at 00:10
1st post, long time leach.  thanks for all the info.

what happened to them?  i have read a few posts here about them but the links are broken.  are the pro-airs the same as pro-hunters?
i want to replace my gamo varmint hunter scope.  i can zero it in fine and shoot all day and it will hold, but put it up for a day or two and the next shot is off.
after sighting it in at 30 yards, i missed 3 shots at a squirrel today that were 20 yards, 15 yards and 10 yards.  not moving and no, i'm not that bad a shot.  i just know that scope is off again.  laser seems to drift too.  any experience with these?

i'm looking for a scope that will hold zero.  if it is a little dim, so be it.  i just want it to keeps it's POI when i pull it out!

thanks again for all the info.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 05:47

Are you using a spring gun and which one?

Welcome to O.T.

FunkedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 14:01
Yes, a spring gun.  It's a Gamo "Varmint Hunter."  It's basically a Shadow 1000, just with the scope, light & laser; i was going after 'coons. 
1000 fps, .177 cal.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 21:20

I can' t give you any advice. I fooled around with a Beeman R1 back in the late 80's. Top end spring- piston gun. Well-made and powerful, but the darn thing was VERY finicky. I just got sick of putting up with all her crap, and "divorced" her. Now I just use a .22 rimfire with lower velocity loads for the same applications and am much happier!  More expensive to shoot, but well worth it.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 07:17

The Pro Air probably has a 50 or 75yard parallex. They don't show up on Simmons web site and another site said they are discontinued.

The 1000 Gamo is not a real hard kicker. Not knowing what mounts you are using I would use a stop, regardless. Even light recoil spring guns can cause mounts to move. The 3/8"-11mm dovetails, alone, are not enough to stop movement. A stop with a set screw allows the mount to be seated against it and stops movement. They are inexpensive, also.

When using a .177 for something as big as a coon you are restricted to head shots within the ranges you mentioned and accuracy is very important. SWFA carries Bushnell airgun scopes and they would be suitable if you are concerned about the Simmons. http://www.swfa.com/c-182-bushnell-air-gun-scopes.aspx

Edited by tahqua
FunkedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2007 at 23:41
ok, i have an update...

just to rule out the cheap rings and scope rail (yes, Gamo puts a 3/8" rail on their grooved receiver which i measured to be an 11m rail), i took those off and place a 1 piece scope mount right on the receiver.  it's aluminum and has a grip tape inside the rings to keep the scope from moving.  the scope is definitely no moving now.

i am baffled by what i see now.  i sight the scope in at 25 yards.  when i get 2 or 3 shots in a dime, then suddenly several shots go 4"-5" low!  so i keep shooting without adjusting and a few shots later, i get a group near the point of aim again.  then no groups.  then a low group.  then a close group.  so i move in to 10 yards, and the same thing happens, until i gave up.  i am shooting these on a rest.

does this sound like a scope problem?  or a pellet problem?  i just switched to Beeman Silver Arrows.  The first 10 shots out of the tin from 10 yards hit 1".

thanks for your insights.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 20:42

It sounds like the mount is moving on the dovetail to me. I have a very hard kicking spring gun and I was having accuracy problems like you. It some time to figure it out and I went with a stop. I don't see these listed here so if this violates, moderators, please delete.

http://bkltech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&St ore_Code=BKL&Product_Code=279&Category_Code=ACC

Silver Arrows are accurate in most guns and I don't think it would cause what you are experiencing. Should your accuracy improve with continued usage of these pellets, let us know.

FunkedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 07:41
thanks for the help.

my 1-piece mount has an integral stop pin.  the mount's not moving.  and i'm pretty sure the scope's not moving.
i'll be sure to report back with silver arrow stats once i've solved this.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2007 at 08:05

That's good news about the mount.

I don't know what pellets you were using before but I can't see such erratic grouping becuase of them. I hope it is true. If not, you need to look at the scope.

This guys airgun blog is pretty good and here is one on his favorite pellets

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/archive/2005_03_01_pyramydair _archive.html

I use the Beeman Kodiaks in both 5mm and .22. They are accurate and do a good job on critters up to the size of raccoon. I also use the JSB Diablo Exact for hunting and they are accurate and deadly also.

Good luck,

Doug

Edited by tahqua
FunkedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 00:20
turns out, it was the scope.
i put a new scope on and, zeroing it in took four 3-shot-groups.  got rained out, so i don't have very many through it, but i think i'm good to go.
it's a beeman 5023.   from what i gather, its a bushnell.  4-12x40mm with illuminated duplex reticle.  AO down to 7.5 yards.
the extra weight balances the gun out nicely now.

the silver arrows are flying straight and hitting hard.

thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic