OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Questions
    Posted: September/26/2007 at 14:11
On the strength of the many fine reviews they've received from various sources, I purchased two Super Snipe rifle scopes from
SWFA. They arrived today. Too early to really make an honest assessment of the scopes, but I did have 3 quick questions.

1. It was my understanding that these were no longer made by Tasco but were being made by the original maker exclusively for
SWFA. The paperwork in with both of mine is all Tasco, even the warranty registration card. What good will registering the products
with Tasco in Colorado really do, if these are in fact, not Tasco products.

2. On the 16x scope, the elevation turret does not have any audible clicks and barely felt detents. Very mushy, and hard to move
one "click." There is a great amount of play there even through the knob is somewhat stiff. The knob may stop on a digit, but might
not. It seems to be able to stop anywhere and never moves all the way to the next detent unless you carefully guide it there. Can
this be user rectified? I hesitate to take anything apart on my end at this point in time. The 20X seems fine and has nice audible
"clicks" and detents on both elevation and windage turrets.

3. I was thinking these were made by Hakko in Japan. Mine is stamped on the tube "AQ, Japan" On the bottom of the ocular end,
there is a silver sticker that reads "Inspected by Kenco, Optics Japan."

Thanks for any advice offered.

Edited by Tom Kirkman
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 14:51

Contact SWFA by phone about the turret, the warrenty work is all handled by swfa not tasco now.

hope this helps

Duce

Duce
Tom Kirkman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 15:09
Thank you, I will do that tomorrow.

They might want to think about replacing all the Tasco paperwork in the boxes. After all, these haven't been made by Tasco in what, 6 or 7 years now?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 15:11

Welcome to The OT, Tom.

Question # 1:

As Duce already advised, SWFA is the sole proprietor of the Super Sniper now. You may discard the Tasco warranty card if you wish, because it won't help you. 

Question #2:

Crank the snot out the turrets on the one giving you problems. My Super Sniper has been spot on since day one, but after working the turrets back and forth several times, this "may" correct the problem.

If this doesn't work, PM me or post again here and we will get you some more help.

Question #3:

I don't know who actually makes the Super Sniper. I don't really care since I know SWFA will take care of me if and when something goes awry. Not trying to be facetious, but it doesn't really matter to me.

The SS is a tremendous bargain in tactical optics and I wouldn't care if these monkeys were making them.....

I'd STILL buy one!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tom Kirkman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 16:54
Thanks. I was just thinking that maybe I had gotten one of the older ones that Tasco had made (when the quality was reputed to be going downhill!). The box is also
labeled with a sticker that says "Tasco" and dated 2002.

Right now, I'm more impressed by my $200 Swifts than with either of these new SS scopes. But I'm prepared to be impressed once I mount them and actually do some
shooting with them. My fingers are crossed.

I did do a little research and it appears that Hakko never did make the Super Sniper to begin with. Have to be careful what you read on the internet!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 17:23
swift scopes arent all that bad there warranty is spot on, if you break it, you bring it to wherever you bought it and they hand you a brand new one over the counter no questions asked they have been making scopes and microscopes since like 1920 something i doubt they make crap and last that long all the swift scopes i looked through were pretty comparable i thought to say a nikon buckmaster, about the same price so i expected the quality to be comparable, but swifts warranty is way better than dealing with nikon's cs, so i hear
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 05:48
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT, Tom.

Question # 1:

As Duce already advised, SWFA is the sole proprietor of the Super Sniper now. You may discard the Tasco warranty card if you wish, because it won't help you. 

Maybe the name but not the scope.

The scope is sold in England under another brand name.
Master Debater
tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 08:31
Mine had that problem and it was the little screw in the turret that takes an allen wrench to tighten. I tightened it up myself and the clicks were normal.
Astro8 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astro8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 10:26
 Can anyone tell me what the brand name "Super Sniper" uses in the U.K. (England)?
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 11:00
Originally posted by Astro8 Astro8 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the brand name "Super Sniper" uses in the U.K. (England)?

Its called the EB sniper.

EB Stands for the company Edgar Brothers.
Master Debater
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic