OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Action vs. Action Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apdb90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Action vs. Action Extreme
    Posted: October/06/2004 at 21:25

I could use some insight here guys.  I still have not purchased another pair of binocs.  The primary reason for that is that I have a pair of 7X50 Nikon "Actions" that I really love.  The only obvious complaint is that they're BIG.  Also keep in mind that I'm a Police Officer who uses these "low" priced glasses at work.  I'm just not willing to let a "high end" pair roll around in the car, or get stolen if I have to jump out quickly and fail to lock the car.

I have to admit that I'm amazed at the 7X50 Actions that I have.  They're incredibly bright, and have exceptional resolution.  They do get SLIGHTLY "fuzzy" around the edges, but we're talking about a pair of glasses that are going for under $100.  As with anything else along these lines, everything is my opinion, and that opinion could vary drastically for you.  One thing I've noticed with these, and I don't know if this is the correct term, is that there is a very noticable ocular separation.  What I mean by that is that rather than having a solid circle when you look through them, you can see a slight distinction between eyes.  This does, however, seem to enhance their 3D/depth perception.  Is this separation common to porro prisim binocs, or is it these?

All of that being said, what are the benifits of the Action Extreme series in terms of optical ability.  I understand that they are waterproof where the Action series is not, and they have twist up eye cups where the Action series has the more traditional ones.  Is there a significant difference in optical quality between the two.  I've also heard that the construction of the Extreme series is significantly stronger than the Action series.  Given the fact that they're waterproof, that they're constructed stronger and what I'm going to use them for, I'm already considering them to replace my current Action's.  I'd also go for a 10X50 this time around.  But I am VERY happy with the performance of the ones I have.  Does the Extreme series offer enough, if any, optical enhancements to justify the additional expense?

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 11:48

The new Nikon Action Extreme" binoculars feature an all-metal chassis with lens fittings housed in a tough, lightweight polycarbonate body shell. Like all Nikon All Terrain Binoculars, the EX is nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed for total waterproof, fogproof and shockproof performance in any environment. The binocular bodies are ergonomically shaped, tripod adaptable and are rubber coated for a non-slip grip, whether wet or dry.The new Extreme ATB offerings utilize high-resolution lenses and prism systems crafted from Nikons exclusive Eco Glass", which is made without the use of arsenic or lead. This lens system provides an extremely clear, distortion-free image over the entire field of view. The lens elements each incorporate multi-layered anti-reflective coatings formulated to deliver optimum brightness, high contrast, true color rendition and flare-free viewing in most lighting conditions. The Extreme" series binoculars each feature a unique, click-stop eyecup design that not only delivers long eye relief, but also allows for variable eye relief that is customizable to the users own eyes and eyeglasses. The binoculars are central focus with a diopter control to correct for normal right/left eye vision imbalance.The Extreme ATBs all feature Apparent Angles of view that exceed 65 degrees, making them true Wide Angle binoculars while two of the models, the 7x35 and 8x40, will provide a field of view of over 420 at 1,000 yards, making them true wide field binoculars.

- off Nikon's new really nice web site.  www.nikonusa.com

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.  We do not stock them but can order one and have it here in a day for $149.95

apdb90 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apdb90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 13:09

Chris,

Thanks for the reply!  I'm still saving my pennies for those Leica's we talked about, then will have to wait until I find "my" pair on the List (you guys REALLY have INCREDIBLE prices there).  I just use my "work"--meaning the ones I carry with me every night in the car, and not those important surveilences, etc. that would justify a "good" pair--binocs more.  Like I said before, those are the ones that roll/bounce around in the car going to calls, getting into pursuits (we obviously NEVER exceed the speed limit or anything like that   ), those "OH S%*T, there he is and throw them between the seats times, sit in an open car when I bail out on that call or foot chase...you get the idea.  As I said, I really LOVE those "CHEAP" 7X50 Actions.  Sure, the durability is an issue.  Waterproof is and isn't.  I've had the regular Actions hunting in the rain and they never fogged or anything.  If I drop them off my boat, I'm a dumb ass and deserve it.  The point is that no matter what happens with them, I think I got them on an Ebay auction a few years ago for like $70 new.  My big thing is do the Action Extreme's offer a difference in optical performance?  That "occular separation" I talked about before does seem to "enhance" depth perception/3D effect, but also wears on the eyes slightly after some time.  Is that common with porro prisims or is it these.  Is it there in the Extremes?  Is the glass/clarity/resolution noticebly better in the Extremes?  If it's even enough that I notice it, given the other benifits of the Extremes, it would justify the money for now.  If I'm going to be looking through the ones I have now, except they're waterproof, etc. I'll put the $150 into my "piggy bank" toward the Leica's that I'll own again one day (painful story why I don't still have my first pair).

So now that I bored the H$#L out of everyone--sorry, I tend to be long winded when searching for info--I guess I'm trying to save another trip to Cabelas (I can't afford it right now--the kids alone spend all my $ there).  If anyone has access to both, or ends up somewhere where they can look through the Action vs. Action Extreme lines (I'm leaning toward 10X's if I do this), I would appreciate your opinion on the optics of both.

Chris, thanks again for the info and the price quote.  And to everyone; sorry I'm so $%($*&%$ long winded.   

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 14:03

Yes, the new Action Extreme series do use different glass, prisms and coatings that are better than the standard Action.

Seeing two circles instead of one is usually caused by not having the binoculars adjusted properly for your eye spacing.  Try bending them in and out while looking through them, if they still do it they are most likely out of collimation from flying around your squad car.  Have you used them to "Rodney King" anyone?

apdb90 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apdb90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 17:56

Chris,

I have tried that, and although it's not bad, you can "see" both sides--slightly.  It doesn't adversely change the image-at least not drastically, but in just about every other pair of "decent" glasses I've looked through, there's a fairly clean/clear "circle". 

Now, let's address "political correctness".  We NEVER "Rodney King" anyone.  In professional circles, it's "Treating him/her like a King".  And we never do that either--especially not with cameras around--and even more so not unless they REALLY deserve it!  (***DISCLAIMER***  The previous statements from "Now, let's address...." are made in JEST!  Law Enforcement Professionals are HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS.  Trust us, we're with the Government!!!  We only use the force necessary to effect an arrest, or stop an imminent threat.  We NEVER "shoot to kill", we "shoot to stop the threat".)  Hey Chris, how was that for "politically correct"?  Can you tell I've been doing this for almost 16 years?

Thanks for the info on the glass.  Sounds like I might want to consider it.  I probably will take a trip and look at them.  If nothing else, I'll be able to look at the regular Action's as well in the showcase and see if mine are screwed up.  How is Nikon with their "25 year warranty"?  They look absolutely spotless.  I have never "abused" them other than them being in the provided case, strap around the headrest of the passengers seat along with my bag/briefcase where they may, from time to time, slide/swing around SLIGHTLY (as I said before, we NEVER speed or anything like that)  Are they going to scream "abuse"?

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 10:02

Very nice and politically correct.

Nikon is not the best warranty department to deal with and usually try to charge you, it just takes a firm denial to pay and they will usually repair them with no charge.  I have heard that they are getting better with their customer service and warranty but the last two times we were in contact with them it was not pleasant.

apdb90 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apdb90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2004 at 20:52

Hey guys, 

First, everyone keep their fingers crossed and/or whatever else you do for luck for Chris.  He's off on a pretty cool hunt right now.

I don't know if anyone's interested or not, but I made another pilgrimage to Cabelas (I'm waiting for them to realize I'm not going to buy from them and kick me out!).  As I said before, contrary to another thread I started here, I've decided that rather than "making do" with some other roof prisims (some of which were VERY good glasses--especially for the price), I'm going to save my pennies and get the Leica's I really want when I can afford to do it.  In the mean time, along the lines of this thread, I've decided to pick up something in a 10X50 porro prisim to replace my ageing 7X50 Nikon Action's (previous model, not the current one).  On this trip, I compared the current model 10X50 Action's, the 10X50 Action Extreme's, and the Pentax 10X50 PCF WP.  The first thing I noticed is that I don't like the new model Action's compared to the previous model.  The biggest thing I noticed is that the eyecups (old style rubber ones) on the new model are quite a bit smaller, very uncomfortable (at least to me), and seem "cheap".  Maybe it was the difference in magnification, but the optics didn't seem nearly as good as my 7X50's.  Now on to the two "new" models.  It was really tough to make this decision, especially considering that the Pentax's come with a $40 mail in rebate from Pentax until the end of the year.  I obviously can't give you an idea about long term durability.  They both seemed to be pretty solid glasses.  But, at least to my eyes, there was a very significant difference in brightness, and a slightly less difference in sharpness and clarity.  No if's, and's or but's about it, to my eyes, the Nikon's were the hands down winner.  Without sharing my opinions, I had my wife, another customer looking for similar glasses, and the salesman look through both, and everyone came up with the same conclusions.  The Pentax had everything similar to the new model Actions (and as I said, my older model 7X50's were significantly better although they're not waterproof).  The Action Extreme's were head and shoulders above the Actions (new and old model) and the Pentax.  As a side note to all of this, that "occular separation" I mentioned earlier seems to be inherent to porro prisim glasses.  There's just a noticable separation between the two sides that isn't there in many/most roof prisims.  The benefit of it seems to be a greater depth of field/3D effect that you don't get with roof prisims.  Roof prisims also seem to be a bit more sensitive to correct focus because of it.

black crow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 14:34
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Yes, the new Action Extreme series do use different glass, prisms and coatings that are better than the standard Action.

Seeing two circles instead of one is usually caused by not having the binoculars adjusted properly for your eye spacing.  Try bending them in and out while looking through them, if they still do it they are most likely out of collimation from flying around your squad car.  Have you used them to "Rodney King" anyone?

I just talked to Nikon tech support and they told me there is absolutely no difference in the glass between the Action and the Action Extreme???
“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself”
― Henry Miller
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 15:31
Just incase you did not notice, this topic is near 8 years old. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 16:36
Black crow,

Welcome to the OT!

While this thread is old, your question is a valid one. It is my understanding that the Action and Action Extreme lines differ only in weatherproofing.
-Matt
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 16:46
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

It is my understanding that the Action and Action Extreme lines differ only in weatherproofing.

Matt,

I can't remember just exactly where I read it, it has been awhile, but another difference between the less expensive Nikon Actions and the more expensive Action Extreme ATB's is the number of optical-coating layers applied to the glass. 
The Nikon Action Extreme ATB binoculars have more layers of optical-coatings to reduce things like ghosting when viewing the full moon and perhaps to reduce internal light scattering, etc.

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/17/2012 at 16:54
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 13:39
Well again according to Nikon all optics including coatings are the same.

I realize this is a subject of intense debate here and at bird forum and the only reason I'm involving myself is I'm thinking of getting one for my deck viewing.  They don't need to be WP.
“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself”
― Henry Miller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 13:42
Originally posted by black crow black crow wrote:

I realize this is a subject of intense debate here and at bird forum and the only reason I'm involving myself is I'm thinking of getting one for my deck viewing.  They don't need to be WP.
I think, originally, there was a difference, but now I think they are the same.  I only have rumor to base that on, though.  If you called Nikon, I would go with that.

In any case, the regular Action line performs very well for the price.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 13:58

Black crow,

Welcome to the OT!

While this thread is old, your question is a valid one. It is my understanding that the Action and Action Extreme lines differ only in weatherproofing.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for awhile and also post at Birdforum for the last several months.  I've been taking the advice I'm hearing and educating myself by buying the bins that get talked about. I have kept half a dozen pair that I really like for one reason or another. What I don't have is a 10x bin.  It won't be used in the field often because I prefer 7x or even less at times. So I don't plan on spending more than $150 but would love to find something decent for less. 
― Henry Miller
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 17:59

I realize this is a subject of intense debate here
I think, originally, there was a difference, but now I think they are the same.  I only have rumor to base that on, though. 

It has been awhile since I looked at the Nikon Action & the Action Extreme binoculars side by side, but the last time that I did there was a visible difference between the two models with regards to the optical coatings on the objective lenses.
Previously I owned a Nikon Action binocular and sold it after a few months due to ghosting on bright objects such as the full moon.

Hardly a matter of "intense debate".

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/20/2012 at 08:39
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 18:50
Well maybe intense is the wrong word but I seem to see it come up almost every time these bins get discussed. 
― Henry Miller
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 23:57

Perhaps these Nikon employees should take a look at their own website. Clown

I looked at Nikon's photos, posted on their website, of the Nikon Action 16x50 and the Nikon Action Extreme 16x50, and I can still see a visible difference between the optical coatings, on the front objective lenses, of both models, just as I did the last time I looked at them in person, in the Sporting Goods Store.

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/20/2012 at 14:17
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 14:41
Frankly I haven't been impressed by hardly  any customer service I've gotten anywhere outside of Eagle Optics and they were outstanding.  Zen Ray is pretty good too. Excellent
― Henry Miller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 14:51

Frankly I haven't been impressed by hardly  any customer service I've gotten anywhere outside of Eagle Optics and they were outstanding.  Zen Ray is pretty good too. Excellent

Try SWFA's customer service.  Top notch!
-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 17:13

Frankly I haven't been impressed by hardly  any customer service I've gotten anywhere outside of Eagle Optics and they were outstanding. 

Leupold has Excellent Customer Service!

Stan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic