OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowMEhntr74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 7mm-08
    Posted: October/06/2004 at 17:01

I will be getting a 7mm-08....I used a 30-30 marlin open sights for 15 yrs before deciding to get out of the lever action...Now my question is I only want to spend 100$ give or take a little, I know this is very low budget but its all i can swing now.....This will be my first experience hunting with a scope so I dont want to spend alot either untill I know I will adjust to scope hunting..

I will be hunting out of small portable stands in cold weather conditions...I will be mostly hunting cedar swamps and in very thick brushy areas..My shots will never acceed 150 yds and will most likely be in the 50  to 75 yard range...

I am a female newbie when it comes to optics and I was wondering if I would get more for my limited budget by going to a fixed 4 power scope? Would a 4 power still be ok out to a 150 yards if the shot presented itself? Would the fixed scopes be smaller and weigh less than say a 3x9 scope

I also will be hunting in low light conditions hunting in the cedar swamps it tends to stay darker after shooting hrs in the am and get darker in the evenings faster..So with all that said could you all help a lady out in pointing me in the right direction for my needs and budget that optictalk carries....Thank you so much for the help in advance

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 17:47

I think you are right on track with the 4X idea.  I would probably look for a good used 4X rather then purhase a new $100 scope.  A used U.S. Redfield in 4x32 would serve you well and it will exceed the performance of any cheapie 4X that you can get new for under a $100.

ranburr

philgood80 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philgood80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 19:53

You might look at the Weaver K4.  This line of fixed power scopes has a long and faithful following.  I had one on a Ruger 10/22 that was stolen and loved it.  I have always be pleased with the quality of Weaver optics.  You can find the Weaver K4 and the K6 (6x) at www.(competitor)usa.com for $128.95

Philip

Edited by philgood80
bowMEhntr74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowMEhntr74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 22:20
Thanks for the feedback...I will 4 sure look into the sugestions...I loved my my lever action 30-30 open sights but after puting a bad shot on the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods Im thinking its time to move to a new riffle and optics...I know I have waited to long to make this change but its been hard to let my 30-30 go, and its now affecting my budget for optics...Any more help would be greatly appreciated
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2004 at 11:37

Close range in harsh conditions on a 7/08 around $100.

Bushnell 1.75-4x32 Trophy with Circle X reticle.....$99.95

When your budget allows, this one would be perfect.

Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 with RainGuard coatings, FireFly reticle and FREE $100. Gear Bag.....$218.99

crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 16:03
Why not put a scope on the 30-30?It is easy on a Marlin since it has side eject and holes tapped for scope mounts.Are you sure that bad shot wasn't a case of buck fever?
crashfirepm53 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashfirepm53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 16:20
I cannot comment on the scope to much but a used higher quality would be the way to go.As far as the rifle who doesn't have a Marlin 30/30 and a fine deer rifle/caliber it is.If you know that gun well which I think you do, I'd keep it and all the money that you'd spend on a 7mm I'd spend on a nice scope and some trigger work.My Marlins trigger is a bit harsh.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 17:51

mine, and my grandpas marlin 336C 35 remingtons print 1"@100 yards with the 200 grain core lokt's

cory 

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2004 at 19:23
A weaver K4 or K2.5 would work just great, and they are in the right price range.  Since you are used to iron sights, something between 2x and 4x should work just fine for you.  I'd resist the temptation to go to a higher magnification than 4x.  You really do not need it for hunting and field of view suffers.

I'd stay away from cheap brands like Tasco and SImmons.

At ~$100 your best bet is to look at Weaver K-series and Bushnell Trophy.  If you are willing to go up in ptice a little, Burris compact 4x20 is superb as is Nikon Buckmaster 4x40.  Burris would be my personal choice.  Look around for prices and give Chris a call.  SWFA will match any price out there from a reputable vendor.

Ilya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 17:15

my setup is the XS scope mount, and the leupold fixed 4x scout, and i love it.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 17:23
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2004 at 18:37

nice.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic