OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sling Swivel question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling Swivel question
    Posted: September/24/2007 at 17:40
I decided to experiment with a Safari Ching Sling on one of my rifle which has swivel studs, but sling swivels.  The variety of different sling swivels out there is quite bewildering.

Is one type/brand better than the other?  I spend most of my time shooting old military weapons, so this question of sling swivels has not loomed large on my horizon before.

Thanks.
ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 17:55

Not really, in my experience.  I've used several brands, but I seem to usually get the Uncle Mike's QD style with the locking release button with threaded sleeve.  This provides a little extra security against the swivel coming loose because you can't depress the release button without unscrewing the sleeve... though I can't say I've ever had one of another design come loose before.  They look like this:

The bottom right picture depicts the little safety sleeve unscrewed so you can depress the release button. 

The typical sling swivel is such a simple device that there's just not much that can go wrong.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 18:01
Thanks, Rifledude.  I plan to use with a Safari Ching Sling, so QD makes no difference to me.  I see some made of metal and some made of plastic claimed to be "stronger than metal".  ANy thoughts on the material?

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 18:07
Other than the fact I have one set made of plastic and I'd say it's marginally quieter than metal (but not enough to be of any real concern) I see no advantage of one material vs. another, though the plastic ones don't look as nice to me.  Since I've never had a sling swivel of any design fail before, I honestly can't say one design is definitely superior to another.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 19:12

I have been using Uncle Mikes swivels for years with no problems. I have started using the Quake Hush Stalkers on a few guns. They aren't as quick to use as the Michaels but they are quieter and the look better IMO. They are definitely strong as I have used them with my shotguns. I always stress swivels on them because I carry decoy bags over my shoulders and the sling gets intertwined all of the time.

I have experimented when woods hunting for quietness. The Uncle Mikes are quick to remove and when still hunting I have always removed the sling because they rattle a little bit. The Hush Stalkers have been pretty quiet and I leave them on. I can, then, shoulder the gun when using my binos to catch movement through the nasties.

Doug

Edited by tahqua
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 22:21
If your dealing with something other than a carry strap, such as the ching or safari you may want the harness type detachables, which are ball bearing loaded and one can drop the entire harness or sling by pushing a button at the point of each attachment.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 03:45
I use the swivels as in the pic above. I had a harness style sling made up, which is essentailly two rifle straps fixed to a central three-way buckle, top and bottom. Two straps coming in, and third point attached to the rifle swivel. The rifle sits on your back like a rucksack. Leaves both arms free for climbing steep slopes etc. Neatest gadget I have ever used.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 09:37

The harness you speak of sounds interesting, 8shots.

I generally use conventional sling arrangements, and have not yet taken the time to try out the Ching sling, either. It seems to be well-liked by those who have used it. Let us know what you think of it after trying it out, ILya. 

As far as swivels go,  I can definatly recommend solidly locking types after seeing (and hearing ) a nice Remington 870 slug gun and Leupold Vari-XIII go clattering down an icy blacktop road, after falling from my brother's shoulder. I would have laughed out loud had it not been MY gun....   The old-style Uncle Mike's swivel somehow came open. After that I swapped everything out for the locking type. They are not silent though, so I tape them up before a hunt anyway...     

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 20:30
the ching type slings are usually used in a scout rifle set up, which will bring the left supporting elbow closer to the hip and causes a more perpendicular and higher face (more like the bindon sighting system) than a regular sling up, is that what your looking for??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 22:49
It is not for a scout rifle.  I am thinking of getting a Savage scout though.

For the time being, it is for a regular boltgun that I try to practice with.  I've used a standard loop-up sling, but I have a benign tumor in my upper arm which makes looping up a little unpleasant.  I have played with a Ching sling on someone else's rifle and thought that it was a decently steady set-up for shooting prone and sitting.  I am not sure how much help it is if I am standing, but it is worth a try. 

Thanks for the help.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 11:21
might take a look at the vickers type system on the mag-pul website, or the tactical cuff web site, that exchanges advertising with swfa at snipershide
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic